Rehire Coach LaBarrie?

Techster

Helluva Engineer
We got Will Wade out there admitting on tape he's opening up bank vaults for recruits....and nothing from the NCAA.

Our guy DLab gets solitary confinement for two years because he gets busted for basically lying about giving a recruit what amounts to a happy meal in the recruiting world. DLab for all intents and purposes lied to protect his house (GT...his alma mater). Do we take him back? If DLab even wants to come back, is that a serious question?

You guys ever watch gangster movies? DLab basically did his time in the state pen to protect his family and didn't rat anyone out. Other coaches will look at that as a plus for an assistant.

Let's be real here: DLab most likely has schools lined up waiting for the very second his show cause is over. In the coaching world, you think other HC's don't understand how stupid it is for DLab to get in trouble for what he did? They're probably laughing because they have assistant's on their staff doing things that are 100x worse than what DLab did.

The only school that's gonna care about DLab's trangressions when his show cause is over is GT. No other school is going to care because DLab's story will become a story of redemption, of how he worked to improve the game at a grassroots level by coaching youngsters (which is on video for everyone to see), and how he found his way back into the coaching community. Sure there will be some eyebrows raised by the administration that hires him, but when he brings in high level recruits and the ball is tipped...no one is gonna give a sh!t anymore about what DLab got in trouble for.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Let's be honest. If Duke or UGA has an assistant coach get given a 3 year show clause and they immediately hired him back there would be a lot of posters here who would be crying about it and it wouldn't make a difference what the infraction was or the circumstance.

I wouldn't be against him coming back here, although it would surprise me a bit but I'm also not going to lose any sleep over it if he doesn't. I actually think it's better for both him and GT to distance themselves from that period of time

LibertyTurns

Banned
Why couldn‘t we contract his services or some other similar move? Everybody else gets to have 10+ extra staff members but GT can never figure out how to have 1 extra head. Infuriating.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Why couldn‘t we contract his services or some other similar move? Everybody else gets to have 10+ extra staff members but GT can never figure out how to have 1 extra head. Infuriating.
In the immediate term or after his show cause is completed?

For starters, is your statement made assuming we have no budgetary constraints, even before this crazy pandemic year? That's the easy answer right there.

Immediate term, you can't hire him and, honestly, you don't want to hire him until after his show cause is up because he has an unfettered ability to interact with recruits right now. He's not beholden to a recruiting calendar.

LibertyTurns

Banned
In the immediate term or after his show cause is completed?

For starters, is your statement made assuming we have no budgetary constraints, even before this crazy pandemic year? That's the easy answer right there.

Immediate term, you can't hire him and, honestly, you don't want to hire him until after his show cause is up because he has an unfettered ability to interact with recruits right now. He's not beholden to a recruiting calendar.
Sorry I was referring to after his show cause was over. Before that would be crazy.

I really don’t know what a college basketball assistant runs, $250k? I’m sure if GT held a fundraiser and said we needed that much to hire a basketball assistant coach we could generate the interest.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Sorry I was referring to after his show cause was over. Before that would be crazy.

I really don’t know what a college basketball assistant runs, $250k? I’m sure if GT held a fundraiser and said we needed that much to hire a basketball assistant coach we could generate the interest.
That number is about right for annual salary. It's about where DLaB & Hardy were when they were hired, while Reveno got a little more having been a former head coach.

I admire your faith in your fellow GT fan that we could collectively fund raise that amount. I do not share a similar faith. This is about the point in the cycle where the complainers come out and say I've been a season ticket holder for X years and I'm canceling this year. Always a good strategy to begin choking off resources for a college hoops program when you want to demand improvements.

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
I admire your faith in your fellow GT fan that we could collectively fund raise that amount. I do not share a similar faith. This is about the point in the cycle where the complainers come out and say I've been a season ticket holder for X years and I'm canceling this year. Always a good strategy to begin choking off resources for a college hoops program when you want to demand improvements.

the fallacy here is that if you have donated money for X years and Tech has done nothing productive with that money, there is no reason to assume continued donations will lead to improvement. Definition of insanity is doing the same thing repeatedly and expecting different outcomes.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
the fallacy here is that if you have donated money for X years and Tech has done nothing productive with that money, there is no reason to assume continued donations will lead to improvement. Definition of insanity is doing the same thing repeatedly and expecting different outcomes.
The fallacy is a belief that you should expect a return on a hobby/passion project and deciding to walk away with your resources will foster some sort of improvement.

For those who want to walk away and withhold resources, by all means, do so, but just know you're getting the performance you've paid for and have no reason to complain.

LibertyTurns

Banned
I’m no Pastner fan but what he did last year was really remarkable. Maybe it’s just 1 year, but it’s a glimmer of hope. We were 8-10 in ACC his first season and had a good run in NIT. 11-9 last year after two 6-12 years. Yeah, the weirdness with the whack job makes him suspect and I do believe he’s culpable with the LaBarrie deal, but on balance he’s not done poorly. If we’re not going to fire him for his transgressions, we should support him.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I’m no Pastner fan but what he did last year was really remarkable. Maybe it’s just 1 year, but it’s a glimmer of hope. We were 8-10 in ACC his first season and had a good run in NIT. 11-9 last year after two 6-12 years. Yeah, the weirdness with the whack job makes him suspect and I do believe he’s culpable with the LaBarrie deal, but on balance he’s not done poorly. If we’re not going to fire him for his transgressions, we should support him.
I'm kind of in the same boat. Given what we did last season and expectations for this season, I'm fine letting CJP keep going. If he shows he's the guy, great. If not, his contract is just about up and we hit the reset button with no liabilities hanging around our neck.

I hear you on the support and I'd certainly kick in (although other hobbies have the preponderance of my resources focused in different directions), I just don't think our average fan will step up the way you suggest. They'll claim last year was an aberration and claim the view that after this year we're starting over, so they're not going to bother.

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
The fallacy is a belief that you should expect a return on a hobby/passion project and deciding to walk away with your resources will foster some sort of improvement.
Nope. You keep saying everyone should keep throwing money at the problem and it will be solved. I've thrown money at AT Fund for 20 years and have seen some truly wretched basketball. If your argument is that people need to give more money, it is logical for them to ask what the past results have been when others have donated. If you say no one should expect a return, then you can't argue they need to give. Can't have it both ways, Ace

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
Nope. You keep saying everyone should keep throwing money at the problem and it will be solved. I've thrown money at AT Fund for 20 years and have seen some truly wretched basketball. If your argument is that people need to give more money, it is logical for them to ask what the past results have been when others have donated. If you say no one should expect a return, then you can't argue they need to give. Can't have it both ways, Ace
Sure he can. Either support your team or don’t, if you need an ROI just pick a different team.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I didn't say it will be solved. I've put forth that if we don't put resources on par with successful programs, we can't really expect to have that same level of success.

I can say nobody should expect a return. Your love for college athletics is not an investment like real estate or equities. It's a passion project, Tiger. It's a fanaticism where logic & analytical examination doesn't matter, Champ.

Folks wanna bail on season tickets or drop donations, by all means, apply it to something else more enjoyable. Just don't expect sympathy or a tolerant ear when posting complaints on the various boards when you're not putting anything in.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
It does make me laugh to read what people think "others" should do with their blood, sweat and treasure. For me is is straightforward. I support GT sports because I went there, have family ties and enjoy following a team. I like watching the games (even when we don't play well) because I enjoy sports and in general it gives me a way to stay connected with friends / family.

For donations, I have continued to donate since Freshman year, and will keep on keeping on, for as long as I have the means to do so. In the very few times I have asked questions / had issues with how my money was being spent I have called and spoken with reps from GT and each time came away feeling comfortable with what they were doing. If that became different I would adjust my spend accordingly.

That said, while I have the financial means to be able to donate and it brings me joy; I wouldn't tell someone else what to do with their own money (except to say take care of yourself and family first).

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I say once he does his punishment he could be hired back and given another chance. I am disappointed that the violation was for a one and done recruit that we had absolutely zero chance signing. That was the biggest mistake. I have to question that decision. It was stupid.