Rehire Coach LaBarrie?

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Unfortunately, we're still appealing last spring's decision. So, pretty sure there's no way anything would happen before that, PERIOD! After that....the problem is he told a student to lie. That's the ultimate sin, and the reason he'll not be back a Tech.

I'm all for owning up to your mistakes, atoning for them, and then getting a second chance. I like LaBarrie. I remember when he transferred in. Couldn't make a wide open breakaway lay-up (oops!! That was embarrassing). I think he's a good coach. I think he cares about the kids. I think he has a lot to teach and a lot to give (my wife hates when people use "a lot" so I use it every chance I can). I'd take him back, but this head coach probably never will and I'm not sure this Administration will either.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Admittedly, I'd be surprised if the powers that be would take him back, although maybe that changes with Bud gone.

That said, I think we tell the NCAA to eff off and rehire a quality candidate.
I’d take him back in a second because that entire situation seemed like a bit of a raw deal. I’m already preparing myself for when someone like Auburn (or worse UGA) hires him and he becomes another Charlton Young.

Regarding the NCAA, it seems pretty clear that despite the FBI scandal, some schools are still dropping bags, cars, houses, and everything in between. Def say eff them!!

OlaJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Take him back now! He is family, and we should NEVER turn our back on family. He made a mistake but it was on our behalf. He didn't do anything other assistants aren't doing.
Plus he is a great recruiter. He is Atlanta. Played at Tucker High and Georgia Tech. He coached at GSU and Georgia Tech. We need him to close the deal with these local kids because we don't seem to have a coach that can do that. The kids seem to like Swartz but he can't close.

Deleted member 2897

I liked LaBarrie, but I don't know how you rehire a guy who lied to his bosses and contributed to sanctions for the school.

Yep. We are not UNC, Duke, and others, where the Administration condones that type of behavior...even if we think it’s just part of the job or that the ACC and NCAA deserve it.

If we rehire him, someone needs to stand up and tell it to the ACC and NCAAs face, but I don’t think anybody here has the balls to do that. We should remind them of the overreach last time, of how we had a football title vacated over a damned jersey that was repaid, and how we have coaches on wire tap discussing paying players, and everything else. But we have no scrotum.

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
He will go to one of our rivals and eat our lunch Charlton Young style if we don’t. We all know how this plays out.

brandon_cox

Jolly Good Fellow
If CJP wants him back, it'll depend on how well the team is doing. If we're back in the tournament, he'll have a lot more juice with the powers that be. Hopefully, the conversation will morph from "who will be our next head coach" to "what can we do to keep Josh from heading to greener pastures"?

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I would LOVE to see GT hire him back. Would maybe make me think theAdministration is finally getting serious about basketball..

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
All i know is kids are being turned away from us bc some believe GT LaBarrie was the sacrificial lamb for following orders