Rehire Coach LaBarrie?

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I really like LaBarrie and would welcome him back. I don't know how much damage his lies did to his relationship to the GTAA.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Yep - on another level, if we cannot find someone who can replicate his talents then we are either unconnected in the college coaching world or not a desirable place for assistant coaches to come. He is/was good but not irreplaceable.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I liked LaBarrie, but I don't know how you rehire a guy who lied to his bosses and contributed to sanctions for the school.

I have two reasons.

I believe in second chances, especially for a man who I believe learned his lesson and regrets his mistake.

Also, if we don't, someone else, probably a direct competitor for talent, will and now you have one more highly connected ATL recruiter going up against us, rather than for us.

This isn't corporate America or the medical field or government. This is college basketball. Get passed it and add resources that can help you win.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I have two reasons.

I believe in second chances, especially for a man who I believe learned his lesson and regrets his mistake.

Also, if we don't, someone else, probably a direct competitor for talent, will and now you have one more highly connected ATL recruiter going up against us, rather than for us.

This isn't corporate America or the medical field or government. This is college basketball. Get passed it and add resources that can help you win.

I think we have to be mature about the "lied to his bosses" thing. It could be argued that he lied to them to try to protect them. And, when it all came crashing down, he took the brunt of the fall for the Institute.

A better argument against it would simply be to say you just don't hire a guy who had a for cause put on him. It's possible other places won't hire him in a real role right away either.

I disagree with this stance considering the state of things in college basketball. There are no rules and if you break the nonexistent rules you simply thumb your nose at the NCAA because they're a terrible governing body.

And, let's be honest, the only reason we're on "probation" is because we acted honorably. That shouldn't earn you a stiffer punishment than the unabashed and consistent rule-breakers but that's the state of things. We have to adjust or die.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I have two reasons.

Agree wholeheartedly, but do you think that the powers that be at GT would consider that for more than a half-second? Serious question.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
I would be surprised if the powers that be would agree to take him back

That also says that GT/Pastner cannot replicate his skillset anywhere else

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Admittedly, I'd be surprised if the powers that be would take him back, although maybe that changes with Bud gone.

That said, I think we tell the NCAA to eff off and rehire a quality candidate.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Agree with all of this. He took one for the Institute when he has been out in the wild fending for himself. I don't think he acted totally alone on this, and frankly think the benefits out weigh the negatives. Dude made bad choices and took responsibility and has handled the punishments given down. I still think the whole thing was grossly overplayed by the NCAA and am annoyed just thinking about it again.

If he wants to come back I would be supportive of it.

I think we have to be mature about the "lied to his bosses" thing. It could be argued that he lied to them to try to protect them. And, when it all came crashing down, he took the brunt of the fall for the Institute.

A better argument against it would simply be to say you just don't hire a guy who had a for cause put on him. It's possible other places won't hire him in a real role right away either.

I disagree with this stance considering the state of things in college basketball. There are no rules and if you break the nonexistent rules you simply thumb your nose at the NCAA because they're a terrible governing body.

And, let's be honest, the only reason we're on "probation" is because we acted honorably. That shouldn't earn you a stiffer punishment than the unabashed and consistent rule-breakers but that's the state of things. We have to adjust or die.

Agree wholeheartedly, but do you think that the powers that be at GT would consider that for more than a half-second? Serious question.

LaBarrie did something he regrets and has paid a steep price for it. But, if he remains well connected to the ATL and GT can believe he will follow whatever rules the GTAA says he should follow, then I would be overjoyed to see him representing GT basketball again.

Admittedly, I'd be surprised if the powers that be would take him back, although maybe that changes with Bud gone.

That said, I think we tell the NCAA to eff off and rehire a quality candidate.