Regional FINAL - Tennessee

Squints

Helluva Engineer
Dude hits it directly to our centerfielder and couldn’t catch it…..wow

That's a tougher play then it looks. Anyone who's played OF will tell you one of the hardest plays to handle is a rocket hit right at you. It's really hard to judge the depth of the ball and if you take one wrong step you don't have time to recover because it was hit so hard. Which is exactly what happened unfortunately. Quality defenders at the major league level will screw that play up from time to time.

Squints

Helluva Engineer
What is everyone’s opinion?

Tennessee is a cocky, trash-talking, bird-flipping team that redefines college sportsmanship. If Tech was as good as them how would we feel if our boys were arrogant showboats?

I'd love it. It's a competitive game and I love when the players act like it. North American baseball is so stuffy compared to everywhere else in the world. Part of why I'd love it is because it would annoy the old timer traditionalists.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
I'd love it. It's a competitive game and I love when the players act like it. North American baseball is so stuffy compared to everywhere else in the world. Part of why I'd love it is because it would annoy the old timer traditionalists.
I'm only 24, but that was uncalled for last night. I like the stuff that teams do in the dugout and I'm fine with them making the hand gestures back to their own dugout when they get on base.

Flipping another player off is completely different though. That should be a suspension for at least a game, if not the entire super regionals. It takes character to lose and have good sportsmanship. It takes an ******* to win and have bad sportsmanship.

Squints

Helluva Engineer
That's a tougher play then it looks. Anyone who's played OF will tell you one of the hardest plays to handle is a rocket hit right at you. It's really hard to judge the depth of the ball and if you take one wrong step you don't have time to recover because it was hit so hard. Which is exactly what happened unfortunately. Quality defenders at the major league level will screw that play up from time to time.

Happened this weekend in the Yankees - Tigers game:

Tennessee GT Fan

Jolly Good Fellow
Yeah not everyone can be Willie Mays

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
Didn’t that happen twice to our CF in the regionals, the first time against Campbell in the first game?

GTJon

Jolly Good Fellow
I'm only 24, but that was uncalled for last night. I like the stuff that teams do in the dugout and I'm fine with them making the hand gestures back to their own dugout when they get on base.

Flipping another player off is completely different though. That should be a suspension for at least a game, if not the entire super regionals. It takes character to lose and have good sportsmanship. It takes an ******* to win and have bad sportsmanship.
I was trying to think, is there any other sport where flipping off another player while actively playing wouldn't be some kind of penalty? Football would be a 15 yard penalty, basketball would be a Technical, I imagine it would be a yellow card in soccer. But not really sure there's any penalty it could've been in that spot. Just shows how completely out of the realm of normalcy that was.

Again, I'm all for emotion in baseball. Gestures to your dugout, having some kind of team homer celebration, etc. But the dramatic bat flipping, long strutting after homers, incessant yelling at the ump from players and coaches after what seemed like almost every pitch. They are just going overboard trying to drive home this "everybody hates us" mentality because they think it helps them win. I think it just takes away from what should be an all time season for them and their fans to enjoy.

Tennessee GT Fan

Jolly Good Fellow
I was trying to think, is there any other sport where flipping off another player while actively playing wouldn't be some kind of penalty? Football would be a 15 yard penalty, basketball would be a Technical, I imagine it would be a yellow card in soccer. But not really sure there's any penalty it could've been in that spot. Just shows how completely out of the realm of normalcy that was.

Again, I'm all for emotion in baseball. Gestures to your dugout, having some kind of team homer celebration, etc. But the dramatic bat flipping, long strutting after homers, incessant yelling at the ump from players and coaches after what seemed like almost every pitch. They are just going overboard trying to drive home this "everybody hates us" mentality because they think it helps them win. I think it just takes away from what should be an all time season for them and their fans to enjoy.
Sadly,i think their fans enjoy the h*ll out of that:rolleyes:

THWG

Helluva Engineer
Sadly, he is draft eligible and likely to go in first 4 rounds. Hope he comes back to anchor the staff.
I have a funny feeling that he'll be back. He can only improve his draft stock imo. If he comes back and has a similar year to this one, he'll still go in the first 4 rounds just based on stuff. If he comes back and proves to be an ace, he could easily be a 1st rounder especially if he adds another reliable pitch.

ScGold

Banned
Their fans seemed completely classless as well. I know the ump was having a rough game but they were booing every single ball and strike call from the beginning of the game. The fact that we gave them a run for their money makes me think their season won't end how they think it will
Those three dentures red necks were crying from the first pitch of the regional.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
zero chance Maxwell will be back. And for those keeping score at home the following players will not be back:
Parada Simpson Jenkins Gonzalez Reid Borden Huff and Compton. Draft or free agent signs all will be in pro ball this summer
It's a credit to our program...

and I wish all of them the greatest success in the pros!

rodandanga

Jolly Good Fellow
zero chance Maxwell will be back. And for those keeping score at home the following players will not be back:
Parada Simpson Jenkins Gonzalez Reid Borden Huff and Compton. Draft or free agent signs all will be in pro ball this summer
Compton is the only one I'm not sure about. He had a down year this year and still has a year of leverage left. I think the rest are gone.