Regional FINAL - Tennessee

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Man, I'm disappointed in the result and in the season overall. But, I love the fight and the grit that this team showed all year. They never gave up, were never out of a game, and put it all out on the field. That's pretty much all you can ask for as a fan.
This season has been weird for me. Lots of optimism early (assumed better pitching). By mid-season the pitching was clearly not better... worse really. Frustration set in & remained. But hung to hope the bats could actually overcome the pitching thing.

Basically felt "teased" all season long... but complicit in the tease because the team never changed... ever.

Finished in a blaze of glory ... really. Tennessee is so good. 7 losses all year. Just nuts.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
How depleted is our pitching corp? Brown has pitched himself into trouble (and out of it) every inning. Seems it was just a matter of time what we're seeing in the 9th inning would happen to him.

Figure we'd see a new pitcher in the 9th.
We didn't have any pitchers that we could trust this year. Maxwell was our closer and the best out of the pen. Brown was the second best so I didn't mind trying to ride the game out with him.

randerto

Jolly Good Fellow
We didn't have any pitchers that we could trust this year. Maxwell was our closer and the best out of the pen. Brown was the second best so I didn't mind trying to ride the game out with him.
Brown ended up with an 8.77 season ERA. The fact GT had to rely on him in the highest leverage situation of the season speaks volumes about our pitching options...!

GTRambler

Helluva Engineer
Our team simply amazed me by going 2-2 in this Regional, despite its serious season-long pitching deficiencies. I had expected a 1-2 effort.

In last night’s game, both Maxwell and Brown pitched far beyond what they had shown all season. They gave it all they had, and then some. True grit!

Dawson Brown, in particular, has really, really nasty breaking stuff. He’s a ground ball pitcher. He’s had big-time problems in controlling his breaking pitches all year, resulting in too many walks and hit batters. But he really pitched so much better last night. Knowing what was on the line, he pitched his big heart out. In the end, Tennessee managed to swing a bunch of ground-ball hits that went through between the infielders, and that was all the difference.

And plus, the hitters tried their best in the bottom 9th. They closed the 5-run gap to 3. Then had the bases loaded …

Oh, the tension! All the Orange-clad fans had fear in their hearts.

Then suddenly, it was over. Their hearts overfilled with joy, and ours sank.

Baseball … the greatest game.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
What is everyone’s opinion?

Tennessee is a cocky, trash-talking, bird-flipping team that redefines college sportsmanship. If Tech was as good as them how would we feel if our boys were arrogant showboats?

Home Park Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow

Tennessee is a cocky, trash-talking, bird-flipping team that redefines college sportsmanship. If Tech was as good as them how would we feel if our boys were arrogant showboats?
I am proud our team plays with class. I couldn't feel good about any arrogant showboat a$$wipes, even if they were our own.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer

Man I hate them. Go Fighting Irish!

What i don't like is espn announcers saying that "These guys (Tennessee players) aren't villains." Must have said it 5 times in the top of the 9th. Im amazed that espn announcers can speak while choking on the $ec "appendage" down their throat.

GTJon

Jolly Good Fellow

Tennessee is a cocky, trash-talking, bird-flipping team that redefines college sportsmanship. If Tech was as good as them how would we feel if our boys were arrogant showbI

It would take away so much of the enjoyment for me watching them act like that while having such a great season. There is a clear line between playing with fun and passion and unnecessarily trying to be the "bad guy." Clearly, they have lived in the shadow of Vandy, MSU, Florida, etc for so many years, that they are desperate to do whatever it takes to get people to "acknowledge them" (to steal from the WWE).

I'm impressed our team was able to go out there and shake hands at the end. That would've been a tough one for me. CDH has his flaws, but this type of showing should make us appreciate the class he's shown for nearly 30 years.

I came in to the weekend ready to really be impressed with how good they were like Vanderbilt last year. I left with no impression other than what a waste of talent that is for the entire program from fans to coaches to players to act like that. I'm sure east Tennessee Little League games must be really fun this year as all those kids try to emulate their heroes.

Golden Tornadoes

Jolly Good Fellow

Man I hate them. Go Fighting Irish!

I'm amazed he got away with this with no repercussions, and had the announcers covering for him. I guess it just means more to not punish them. Any backstory as to why he told Colin he's #1?

Edit: Just a reminder that this is the same kid who tried to get away with using an illegal bat during the season.

Last edited:

gameface

Jolly Good Fellow
They showed the video from the TN/Campbell game, several times during the GT/TN game, of the TN player flipping the bat after a HR. He showed a lot of class; all second, in doing that. They even showed the video after a tech play robbed him of a hit; instead of showing a replay of the great catch.