Redshirts Burned to this point

Vic also came up and made a huge hit on a running back a yard behind the LOS. Don't see anyone mentioning that but it may have been the biggest hit of the night. It was hard to tell from the TV angle who made the hit.. had to watch it 4 times.
His big hit came on one kickoff. It was in the first half. He just knocked his guy plum off his feet. I watched the replay twice trying to find it but I can't. I sat in section 217 Thursday, you can really see every play develop before it even happens up there.

Carober18

Georgia Tech Fan
It's been happening as recently as last season. Off hand I can distinctly think of a guy from Michigan State, Montez Sweat, who got snaps in the 2014 non-con games and is listed as as a R-FR on the MSU official website.

I think what happens is that the marginal freshmen play in the first one or two games and then they're all officially diagnosed with mystery injuries, they don't play the rest of the year, and they get granted the redshirt year with no trouble. I don't know a lot about GT's depth chart yet but I'd bet good money a chunk of the freshmen who played last night will basically disappear starting with the ND game and they'll show up as R-FR next year.

I can't say that it's not true some places, but I find it unlikely, it's not true at most every place and it's not the rule. If a single snap is played, the redshirt is burned. Then, if you are injured and have played in less than 30% of games, one can apply for a medical redshirt in the form of a hardship waiver, which must actually be granted.

slugboy

Staff member
In a perfect world, you would redshirt everyone. BUT, if he is really good, he could go pro early, beat out the guy ahead of him, or fill a need with little depth/special teams.
There are some positions where it may matter more than others--like on the lines. That freshman year can be a great time to put on some muscle. At A-back, you should still be adding speed until you're about 26-27, though.

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I have the same recollection as AE 87 and Carobar. There was a time when a player could play in three games and still be redshirted. But I think the rule was changed in the last couple of years.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
It's been happening as recently as last season. Off hand I can distinctly think of a guy from Michigan State, Montez Sweat, who got snaps in the 2014 non-con games and is listed as as a R-FR on the MSU official website.

I think what happens is that the marginal freshmen play in the first one or two games and then they're all officially diagnosed with mystery injuries, they don't play the rest of the year, and they get granted the redshirt year with no trouble. I don't know a lot about GT's depth chart yet but I'd bet good money a chunk of the freshmen who played last night will basically disappear starting with the ND game and they'll show up as R-FR next year.

Incorrect

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
They can see the future?!
The game looks easy from tv because we can see the whole field. While playing it looks much more like chaos. To some players it takes years of practice and spot play for them to see patterns and react a game speed. In late 4 th quarter

Watching ( seats behind bench) the position coach come up to a senior scout team player and say do you want to go in? Kid went in with enthusiasm but was immediately out of position on the play.
The guys I'm talking about already saw we're moving into position to make plays. These guys seem to see the future.

GT_ATL

Georgia Tech Fan
It was a medical redshirt.

Precisely. The NCAA hands out phony medical redshirts like candy to true freshman who play in the first one or two games and don't show up after that, that's exactly my point. Whether it's a normal redshirt or medical redshirt makes no difference: it's easy for true freshman to play early in the year and then get a redshirt.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Precisely. The NCAA hands out phony medical redshirts like candy to true freshman who play in the first one or two games and don't show up after that, that's exactly my point. Whether it's a normal redshirt or medical redshirt makes no difference: it's easy for true freshman to play early in the year and then get a redshirt.

Could you support suggestion that he wasn't actually injured? Or some numbers of how many medical redshirts were given to Fr who played in first couple games over last several years?

Carober18

Georgia Tech Fan

You appear to be the only one who believes what you say is true, and you have sort of backed yourself into a corner logically so you are going to have to actually show us some evidence for us to believe the practice exists. You cannot prove that this is within the rules because it is not. So, to prove what you say is true, you essentially have to show that massive amounts of kids play, then redshirt, and you probably need to show kids who have the types of injuries that are wishy washy (sprained whatever, not torn acl, fractured, etc.). Pointing out one kid who played early, then received a medical redshirt from the NCAA is exactly nothing, other than saying that you do not know what the injury was. I am not saying that this kid was or was not injured because I have no idea, but you're simply saying stuff that a crowd of people does not believe and your example is similar to me saying Joe Burns magically received a medical redshirt after mysteriously getting injured in the florida state game, just because I did not watch the game or talk with the doctors or read the newspapers or watch his surgery.

I think if you show everyone evidence, then we will say something like (1) wow, can't believe schools do that, (2) it's still against the rules, (3) glad GT does not do that.

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
Also aren't medical redshirt a bit given out till their eligibility ends and then you have to apply for one? Pretty sure that's the case so you can't get one after your true freshman year.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
I was surprised they didn't redshirt will Bryan with all that OF depth

IMO these are reasons:
(1) Will came in early and worked his way to #3 tackle (CPJ wants to play the best 3). I suspect Will earned it.
(2) Our two starting tackles are seniors so we need replacements (C Griffin is the other) for next season with experience. With Fromayan #3 we will have 3 good experienced tackles next year, and Stickler and maybe B Morgan in the pipeline with freshmen wearing a redshirt.