Redshirts Burned to this point

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
I didn't want to be that guy, but I thought the same also. He looked a little too big for his frame imo. On the first play, he did appear hesitant and took a bad angle(probably giving the him the benefit of the doubt since it was his 1st game). On the 2nd long run, he void his zone and chased a route inside getting himself out of position instead of rerouting him and passing him along to Noble.

CPJ did say that some of the freshmen and backups were "brain dead for the first 5 minutes after they went into the game". If the shoe fits...

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Hope that is all that we'll need for the season. Would like to think anyone that will play this season got the opportunity last night.
Gray did pretty well with open field tackles last night.

I agree. IMO The only position where I could see a need to use an additional freshman is DT, but the way Stargel was used last night a lot at DT indicates to me he is now the insurance to keep the redshirts on Henderson and Glanton. Also, like Devine, Kallon was in the game for a lot of plays. If he passed the challenge, and I think he did, that is more reason to not play anymore freshmen. Moving J Johnson to WR may have been the other move to keep the redshirts on Howell and Philpott. Jeune and Summers looked good and are adequately backed up. The roster is well stacked with ST candidates so no need to burn another redshirt for just ST. Of course injuries could change everything.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
Did any 2nd year guys sit out? I don't remember seeing Merriweather or Simmons, but could have just missed them.

Henrymcg

Georgia Tech Fan
I have been a big booster of Alexander but in one play especially he looked really slow-slow to react and slow period when their QB started running for 20 yds after going back to pass on their TD drive.I hope that was outlier but having a killer tackling ability is not worth much if you can't get to the ball carrier.
Alexander about knocked a player out helping to clean up on a tackle but I agree he looked unsure out there.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
In those cases the sophs may have been pressed into service as frosh...for team needs....but are currently behind this year's true frosh. So shirt the soph and play the (currently better) frosh this year.

Carober18

Georgia Tech Fan
It can be an involved logic game, if you are considering everything. The determination to redshirt or not and when is not as easy an answer as some suggest, or at least it should not be.

Just throwing an example out, and not an analysis, but X and Z are starting DTs (Z is a senior) ahead of A and B . B is a freshman who plays. The next year, Z graduates, and C and D are freshman; oh yeah, and Y comes back from academic ineligibility. So now X and Y are starting and C and D are backups because they are better than B, and it happens that in 90% of games, only X, Y, A and D play. Would you rather have B as a 5th year senior as a backup only to C and D, or as a sophomore behind X, Y, C and D?

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
But wouldn't red shirting the true freshman mean they're going to be even better?

In theory yes. In reality things can go wrong, or really well, and make the 5th year never happen or not be worth the redshirt year. If a guy is really good he might leave early and so the redshirt is a negative. Unfortunately the other extreme is also true. Sometimes guys just don't contribute even as 5th year seniors. Be it due to injury, transfer, or even just not being good enough. I'd say that in most cases if a RS senior isn't a starter, then it probably would have been better to not redshirt them in hindsight. Obviously its something you can't really see ahead of time, but it's a situation you have to be aware of.

I think sometimes it would be good idea to play freshman who might have been reaches, and don't expect to be needed as a soph, and give yourself a year to evaluate them do determine if using a redshirt would be worthwhile. If it will, then you redshirt them as a soph and don't really lose anything.

PBR549

Ramblin' Wreck
CPJ did say that some of the freshmen and backups were "brain dead for the first 5 minutes after they went into the game". If the shoe fits...
VA has alot of talent but y'all know he is still a freshman playing in his first college game. He'll be fine, he was just a little lost. The game will slow down for him. If the coaches didn't think he could contribute this year he would have never played last night but would have been redshirted. I think he will be a great one before he's done.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
What I wrote above is completely confusing and useless, but I'm not going to correct it. Point is, the decision involves various scenarios and years, and it should. It should be well thought out, unlike my post!
Thank you I had decided I was lost even before reading it. :)

GT_ATL

Georgia Tech Fan
It's pretty common for true freshman to play in 1-2 early season games and still redshirt after that. I'd best most of the T-FR who played Thursday end up redshirting.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
It's pretty common for true freshman to play in 1-2 early season games and still redshirt after that. I'd best most of the T-FR who played Thursday end up redshirting.

I don't think this is true. It seems to me that it may have been once, but I'm pretty sure that it's not any more. I think an injury before playing a certain % of games is grounds for asking for a medical year, but redshirt is burned with one play. That's my understanding fwiw.

GT_ATL

Georgia Tech Fan
I don't think this is true. It seems to me that it may have been once, but I'm pretty sure that it's not any more. I think an injury before playing a certain % of games is grounds for asking for a medical year, but redshirt is burned with one play. That's my understanding fwiw.

It's been happening as recently as last season. Off hand I can distinctly think of a guy from Michigan State, Montez Sweat, who got snaps in the 2014 non-con games and is listed as as a R-FR on the MSU official website.

I think what happens is that the marginal freshmen play in the first one or two games and then they're all officially diagnosed with mystery injuries, they don't play the rest of the year, and they get granted the redshirt year with no trouble. I don't know a lot about GT's depth chart yet but I'd bet good money a chunk of the freshmen who played last night will basically disappear starting with the ND game and they'll show up as R-FR next year.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
It's been happening as recently as last season. Off hand I can distinctly think of a guy from Michigan State, Montez Sweat, who got snaps in the 2014 non-con games and is listed as as a R-FR on the MSU official website.

I think what happens is that the marginal freshmen play in the first one or two games and then they're all officially diagnosed with mystery injuries, they don't play the rest of the year, and they get granted the redshirt year with no trouble. I don't know a lot about GT's depth chart yet but I'd bet good money a chunk of the freshmen who played last night will basically disappear starting with the ND game and they'll show up as R-FR next year.

We only played about 8 tr fr, which is the number we'd play to balance the classes. If we were going to try to RS guys after playing them, we'd have played the DTs, imo.

techfan4

Georgia Tech Fan
Vic also came up and made a huge hit on a running back a yard behind the LOS. Don't see anyone mentioning that but it may have been the biggest hit of the night. It was hard to tell from the TV angle who made the hit.. had to watch it 4 times.