Redshirt report - Defense

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
Justin Akins - Way back when Justin committed to Tech he was 6'4 and around 235 pounds...fastforward a year a half and he has grown from a DE to a interior lineman. Akins is now in the 290-300 pound range and has finally filled out his frame...I thought he was maxed out in the 280's but he has kept growing. With Justin moving inside it gives us another good prospect inside...He is still raw and learning the position but he has been good overall. The coaches think they landed a gem in Akins. He is quick off the ball and tends to show a physical side. I expect him to be down the depth chart some next year as he continues to learn and develop but expect him to be a starter down the line.

Darius Commissiong - For some reason Commissiong did not get a lot of fanfare from GT fans last year...maybe it had to do with him committing early. He had plenty of offers and spurred the Ohio State the week before NSD. He arrived at Tech and showed early on that he has a high ceiling...the coaches really loved what they seen from him and think he has a lot of talent to tap in to. He is stout in the middle and a good pass rusher for a DT. He may be the player I am most excited about...all the potential of a great defensive tackle is here. We just have to put it all together...I expect him to get a few snaps next year and maybe increased playing time as the year goes on. From his Rs Sophomore year on I think he will be seeing a lot playing time. he is around 315 last I heard.

Corey Griffin - Due to all the injuries we suffered this year we were almost forced to play him in the VT game...coaches liked what he has shown thus far. He suffered a pretty good knee injury on the Scout team this year and has missed some time with that...He should be ready to go by the Spring. Corey has shown that he belongs on the D1 level and works hard everyday in practice. He will be a safety and will be fighting for a second string job next year.

John Marvin - A kid that earned his offer at a GT camp last Summer as he lit it up and shut down all the WR's...He is DB and guy that can play both positions. I think with his size he is more of a natural fit as a S. He is someone that could make noise early on next year in the special teams department. Runs very well for his size and likes to hit. He has decent hips and is not too stiff...also not a bad tackler. As the same for Griffin he will be fighting for a backup role next season.

Kevin Robbins - Robbins was slated to be a OLB in the 3-4 system but do to the coaching change he is not at defensive end...I seen Robbins a few months back and he is really put together well. Has a lot of muscle on his frame...I would say he is in the 260 range. He has spent all the time he can with Attaochu this season and has soaked up a lot from him..Attaochu took him under his wing somewhat. Robbins is likely maxed out in the 260 to 270 range. He will be fighting for playing time next year and that spot is really up for grabs at this point.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
Commissioniong, Akins, and Robbins may be stars in the making. Physically they may well be most gifted group of DL we've seen in a long while and I love the fact that all 3 will be together for the nxt 4 years. Marvin and Griffin will have time to mature and find their spots. Not a bad nucleus at all going forward!

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Honestly Groh did a decent job with recruiting the DLine for his system. It'll be interesting seeing these kids play under Roof's defense.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
Honestly Groh did a decent job with recruiting the DLine for his system. It'll be interesting seeing these kids play under Roof's defense.

Groh got some talent in...have to give him that. Attaochu is all him.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Robbin's father played in the League hopefully those genes will yield to an All American DE.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I'm actually really excited about the future of our DL. I thought Akins was a steal, and Robbins has the potential to be a really athletic edge rusher. Commissiong and Gotsis could team for a really nice tandem in the middle. When we shift to a 3-4, which Roof did a few times this season, with Gotsis and Robbins at end, Commissiong could be the NG that Groh could never get.

Antonio Simmons, provided he can gain weight and maintain his first step off the snap could be an additional speed edge guy opposite Robbins. I also like Keshun Freeman. Love that guys tape. He kinda reminds me of a taller Dwight Freeney off the edge.

If you can develop a stout DL and OL, this team can make some noise the next few years as our skill players (Vad, JT, Custis, Leggett, Wilson, Jeune) begin to start maturing.

collegeballfan

Helluva Engineer
"If you can develop a stout DL and OL, this team can make some noise the next few years..."

Techster is 100% correct. It always comes down to the linemen - both sides of the ball. Until they change the rules, football is still a game of blocking and tackling.

I really like the way we have recruited for the OL and DL the past two seasons. Thumbs up on recruiting.

DenverJacket56

Georgia Tech Fan
I actually noticed Akins while watching Jay Woods highlight film last year. I hate we lost Woods to Vandy, but I think Akins is the real deal and looked as good or better than Woods. It's great to hear everyone else feels the same.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
I'm actually really excited about the future of our DL. I thought Akins was a steal, and Robbins has the potential to be a really athletic edge rusher. Commissiong and Gotsis could team for a really nice tandem in the middle. When we shift to a 3-4, which Roof did a few times this season, with Gotsis and Robbins at end, Commissiong could be the NG that Groh could never get.

Antonio Simmons, provided he can gain weight and maintain his first step off the snap could be an additional speed edge guy opposite Robbins. I also like Keshun Freeman. Love that guys tape. He kinda reminds me of a taller Dwight Freeney off the edge.

If you can develop a stout DL and OL, this team can make some noise the next few years as our skill players (Vad, JT, Custis, Leggett, Wilson, Jeune) begin to start maturing.
Techster, these young linemen do give a spark of optimism for their potential. Also, ATL 1, I think Robbins had an Uncle play in the League as well as his Dad. I look forward to seeing them play this Spring and Summer. These are important workouts this Winter for each. They have an opportunity to demonstrate their maturity and readiness for contributing on the field.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I hope all this is correct. I was pretty disappointed in Dieke and his plethora of subs in 2013. We desperately need an upgrade there and we need as little drop off as possible in Attaochu's spot. I am not as worried about replacing Cummings, just the depth. I would love an upgrade though.

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
Really if our rs DEF guys don't add a great deal to the play we may have a serious problem next yr.Without JAtt ,there is no obvious pass rusher at DE which basically WAS our pass rush.We need more push/fight from everybody.That uga game showed how our DLs tire out.From 20-0 to a loss.
DC needs to be daMAN and soon.

xenoabe

Jolly Good Fellow
Really if our rs DEF guys don't add a great deal to the play we may have a serious problem next yr.Without JAtt ,there is no obvious pass rusher at DE which basically WAS our pass rush.We need more push/fight from everybody.That uga game showed how our DLs tire out.From 20-0 to a loss.
DC needs to be daMAN and soon.
I think our offense could improve our defense. If our offense gets rolling better that will put more pressure on opposing offenses causing them to make more mistakes more often. I agree that we need some additional pass rush but if DC is as advertised then I'm hoping he and Gotsis can provide some pressure up the middle.

Mack

Helluva Engineer
Yep, give Groh credit some of the personnel, the problem was he didn't take advantage of said talent.
Yep lot of talent we have had for last ten or so years was sort of wasted....Al gets bum rap and I guess he deserves it since he seemed to think Tech student athletes were pros.............

Mack

Helluva Engineer
"If you can develop a stout DL and OL, this team can make some noise the next few years..."

Techster is 100% correct. It always comes down to the linemen - both sides of the ball. Until they change the rules, football is still a game of blocking and tackling.

I really like the way we have recruited for the OL and DL the past two seasons. Thumbs up on recruiting.
You are spot on.......if you cant make third or fourth and one........you have some problems on offense.If you cant stop the running game you will never win the big one.Yes give me good lineman and I can make hay !

Rodney Kent

Ramblin' Wreck
I don't care how many good linemen and pass rushers we have; if the backs do not step inside the receivers on 3rd and long, the opposition will continue to get first downs on 3rd and long. This allows them to make the quick pass for a first down before pass rushers or linemen can get to the quarterback. Also, this allows the opposition to continue their drive and eat up the clock, which is supposed to be the forte of the option. We are our own worst enemies on defense. The bend, but don't break defense is worthless.