Redshirt Changes

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Ga tech Red shirt seniors and seniors.
Looking at list we see some guys buried on bench and some key players
Key red shirt players for 18 are Searcy, Lynch, Marshall.

Biggest impact in my opinion is Sr Bryan who ended 15 as a freshman ol starter.

If we could have limped along with sham and joe as rg and rt so bryan played in 4 games , we could have better depth in 19.

The mostly returning 14 linemen were well experienced and massive - but the new aggressive and holding defenses showed them to be ineffective.

Now with cooper and marshall recovering the 18 campaign could thin our experienced ol.

This tool could help but i remain concerned about our ol coaching.
Maybe this is year..

Our bend but dont break defense of past and complicated team offense dont work well with substitutions.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
I wonder if a player who started for 4 years could play an additional 4 games if he wanted to? Other players are eligible for 4 1/3 years if they arrange the years differently.

The problem with that is that the rules states "A student-athlete shall not engage in more than four seasons of intercollegiate competition in any one sport". Someone who competes in four years that count does not have any remaining eligibility whether the amount he plays would be counted as a season of competition or not.

The NCAA Summary of Eligibility Regulations - NCAA Division I previously stated "You are not eligible to participate in more than four seasons of intercollegiate competition in any one sport. [Bylaw 12.8]" I don't see them changing that interpretation based on this new rule. So, once a SA participates in four seasons of football, he can't participate anymore.

So let's say a four-year starter gets injured near the end of his Senior year. For our system, he was great, but pro-teams have questions about his ability at the next level. Besides, he won't be available to participate in either the combine or GT's senior day or to try-out for the pro-teams in the Spring because of his injury.

So, we keep him on scholarship so that he can rehab and recover and then play in the last few games and bowl game the next year.
Actually, he would be able to participate in Senior Day unless he's in a hospital.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I doubt any program would hold a scholarship for a player like that.
Oh, I don't know. Pick the right player(s) and the right four games and a semester's scholarship would be more than paid for. That is, putting the whole deal on a strictly cash and carry basis, probably not a bad idea. What we know without dispute is that this is a rule made for violating, and right now country slicks are sitting down to figure out how to profit from it. Somebody will.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
ESPN: Everything you need to know about CFB's new redshirt rule
Is this new rule a positive overall, or a negative?
ACC coach: Positive. I think, No. 1, every place I've ever coached my entire life, a kid has a story that he played 15 snaps because there was an injury. He played 15 snaps or 30 snaps and lost an entire year because of it. It's not fair to him, because he had to do it because of the injury, so now kids are safe from that. I also think a lot of coaches, especially in nonconference play, will be a lot more apt to play those borderline freshmen. Maybe he gets a taste of live action, he plays better with the motivation of playing time, and as a coach, you're not so worried about burning that kid's redshirt.
What players could this impact the most?
ACC coach: That's going to be huge for quarterbacks. Especially a guy who's behind an established starter. If you do it right, you basically have four seasons and four games, and I think for the overall development of the kid, that will be huge. One of the unintended consequences of it, because of the rule, a lot more freshman quarterbacks will play. Just to keep them happy, keep him there, hopefully don't transfer, you'll put him out there.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Sugiura: How Paul Johnson (and TaQuon Marshall) see the new redshirt rule
“There’s going to be some strategy in when do you play them,” Johnson said at the ACC Kickoff on Wednesday. “I don’t think you just go throw ’em out and play ’em the first four games. You kind of have to watch and see.”
Marshall said he looks backs and wishes he could have redshirted. The first reason he gave was that doing so would have enabled him to take 4-1/2 or five years to complete his degree work and not four.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Basically we'll use it to it's reasonable potential.

Not sure if we'll get more out of it than the Factory Schools will

gtg845w

Jolly Good Fellow
"Oregon coach Mario Cristobal said Ducks running back Taj Griffin, who is in his fourth season, left the team and plans to transfer."

He would be a nice looking A-back. :)

Techster

Helluva Engineer
"Oregon coach Mario Cristobal said Ducks running back Taj Griffin, who is in his fourth season, left the team and plans to transfer."

He would be a nice looking A-back. :)

Highly doubt he comes here.

His brother, Ty Griffin, was a QB here. Transferred out. The family did not like our offense.

whitegoldsphinx

Ramblin' Wreck

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Strange. Did they not know what our offense was when Ty signed his LOI?

From what I understand, Ty never liked the 3O, but GT was his best offer so of course he took it. He actually looked pretty decent running our offense in a spring game.

https://www.dailyemerald.com/2015/0...others-taj-and-ty-griffin-to-oregon-football/

Before Taj received national recognition on the gridiron, Ty was redshirting as a quarterback during his freshman season at Georgia Tech in 2013. The Yellow Jackets ran the triple-option, an offense Ty was not fond of.

“I was open-minded about it at first, but when I tried it out I didn’t really like it,” Ty said. “I just felt it was in my best interest to try to get into something different.”

Once Taj became a 5 star recruit, other schools were willing to take Ty on hence his decision to transfer to Oregon.

EDIT:

Ty isn't the first to transfer out after getting a taste of the 3O first hand.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
There's a team player for you. :rolleyes: Would it have been so hard to wait until the end of the season instead of bailing at the first sign of adversity?

Yes. As a senior if he plays another snap he can no longer redshirt this year. If Dabo is going to let him transfer, then might as well make a clean break now. Hard to blame Kelly Bryant for this at all.

whitegoldsphinx

Ramblin' Wreck
Yes. As a senior if he plays another snap he can no longer redshirt this year. If Dabo is going to let him transfer, then might as well make a clean break now. Hard to blame Kelly Bryant for this at all.
Well there's always that thing about trying to win the job back and fighting for a national championship. Dabo did say that both would play in the next game.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Well there's always that thing about trying to win the job back and fighting for a national championship. Dabo did say that both would play in the next game.

Again, I will not hold this against Bryant. He wants a shot at the NFL, and he needs a season to shine. This should have been his season. Dabo took that away from him. I get that Lawrence is gifted, but you've got an outstanding player who's paid his dues that you've just demoted after he's done absolutely nothing wrong.

""They asked me how I felt about it,” Bryant told the newspaper after meeting with coach Dabo Swinney where he was informed of the decision. “I was like, ‘I’m not discrediting Trevor. He’s doing everything asked of him, but on my side of it, I feel like I haven't done anything to not be the starter. I’ve been here. I've waited my turn. I've done everything y’all have asked me to do, plus more.’

“I’ve never been a distraction. I’ve never been in trouble with anything. To me, it was kind of a slap in the face.”"

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
What does anybody expect Dabo to do differently? I've watched Clemson play. Lawrence is simply better than Bryant, and will continue to improve.

As a coach, you play the best player, as long as the best player is eligible and isn't negative.

I understand Bryant transferring after the season. I don't agree with leaving the team in the middle of the season. He could have a private conversation with Dabo to the effect of: "Coach, I want Clemson to win a title, and I will practice hard and do everything necessary for the program to succeed. But please don't play me in a game, so that I can transfer after the season." I think Dabo would oblige that. Leaving the team immediately does nothing but send the message to the team that it was never about them, but only about him. There are guys on every team who toil away for 4-5 years and barely see the field even in blowouts. What message does that send to them? I'm not saying Bryant was all about himself the whole time, and there's nothing wrong with asking to not play anymore so he can transfer, but quitting mid-season is garbage.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
What does anybody expect Dabo to do differently? I've watched Clemson play. Lawrence is simply better than Bryant, and will continue to improve.

As a coach, you play the best player, as long as the best player is eligible and isn't negative.

I understand Bryant transferring after the season. I don't agree with leaving the team in the middle of the season. He could have a private conversation with Dabo to the effect of: "Coach, I want Clemson to win a title, and I will practice hard and do everything necessary for the program to succeed. But please don't play me in a game, so that I can transfer after the season." I think Dabo would oblige that. Leaving the team immediately does nothing but send the message to the team that it was never about them, but only about him. There are guys on every team who toil away for 4-5 years and barely see the field even in blowouts. What message does that send to them? I'm not saying Bryant was all about himself the whole time, and there's nothing wrong with asking to not play anymore so he can transfer, but quitting mid-season is garbage.

I'd agree with this if it were in Bryants best interests at all. For example, if KB stays, and TL starts to take the lions share of the snaps, which he should if he's going to be the starter. then KB would need to be available as the back up. What if TL got hurt in game 10 or 11? Should KB have to forgo his full senior season to rescue a program that bailed on him? I can see both sides of this argument, and I just can't see any reason for KB to stay. Why remain loyal to a program that hasn't rewarded your loyalty?