1. Welcome to Georgia Tech Swarm! JOIN US and be a part of the SWARM! GO JACKETS! THWg!

Redshirt Changes

Discussion in 'Georgia Tech Football' started by JacketFromUGA, Jun 13, 2018.

1. RonJohn

RonJohn Helluva Engineer

I think you understood that wrong. The NCAA Division I council chair said:
    I take the quote you posted to mean that if a freshman has to play in two games because the starter and backup are injured, he does not lose his redshirt year. Everything I have seen indicates that they can play in up to 4 games with no restrictions and still keep the redshirt year.

deeeznutz likes this.
  2. Supersizethatorder-mutt

Supersizethatorder-mutt Helluva Engineer

You MIGHT be correct, and I HOPE that you are, but you know how the NCAA operates, and when a situation arises, they do whatever they damn well please, so I think we had better be careful in giving them the benefit of the doubt here.
    As far as the quote I posted, it can actually mean one of two things:
    1) "....if, for example, injuries (TO THEM) or other factors result in them (the redshirted players) competing in a small number of games..."
    2) "....if, for example, injuries (TO THE STARTERS OR BACKUPS) or other factors result in them (the redshirted players) competing in a small number of games..."
    Reading again through the complete statement referenced in the Tweet that was originally posted in this thread, it would SEEM that number 2 MIGHT be what is meant, but again, I wouldn't trust the NCAA to follow through with that.

3. bobongo

bobongo Helluva Engineer

But it says, "...or other factors".

If not specified, "other factors" could mean any factors at all.

4. Supersizethatorder-mutt

Yeah, and who is to say what those "other factors" are? You know damn well that a team could cite something as one of those "other factors" in requesting a redshirt, and the NCAA could say, "oh, no, that's not one of those 'other factors' that are pertinent." And the really sad thing is that could very easily vary from team to team. They need to provide a list of those "other factors" NOW.

5. RonJohn

RonJohn Helluva Engineer

Well lets go straight to the source: http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources...otball-offer-more-participation-opportunities

From that article
    Seems pretty clear to me that any athlete can participate in up to four games without using a season of competition,(Which means redshirt year) There are no caveats in that statement.

Here is the actual change: https://web3.ncaa.org/lsdbi/search/proposalView?id=101282
    Has no caveats about reasons. Only that they can compete in up to four contests without using a season.

deeeznutz and Blumpkin Souffle like this.
  6. Supersizethatorder-mutt

I repeat, I HOPE you are correct, but I just don't trust the NCAA. Do you?

7. Gold1

Gold1 Helluva Engineer

Supersize, the rule is the player can play in any 4 Games! That is the rule

TechPreacher likes this.
  8. RonJohn

RonJohn Helluva Engineer

They do some crazy things. However, reading the actual text of the rules change, it doesn't leave any room to negotiate. The rule says "In football, a student-athlete may compete in up to four contests in a season without using a season of competition.". I don't see any way that the NCAA can interpret that rule to say that if someone played in three games for a reason other than injury that it still counts as a season of competition.

The rationale given on the rules change page is:
    The NCAA itself is saying that this rule change will help the student-athlete's development and transition to the college game. They also say that it will allow younger SAs an opportunity to play in bowl games. I don't know how much clearer they could be that this rule isn't solely for injuries. They did use the ability to allow more experienced athletes to have less pressure to play through injuries, but that was only one of the arguments used to get this rule passed.

THWG likes this.
  9. Supersizethatorder-mutt

I still don't trust them. lol

10. Skeptic

Skeptic Helluva Engineer

Are you implying the NCAA is a bunch of Humpty Dumptys?
    “When I use a word, it means just what I choose it to mean—neither more nor less.”

11. Supersizethatorder-mutt

I'm not IMPLYING anything. I am STATING that the NCAA is a bunch of duplicitous frauds.

iceeater1969 and THWG like this.
  12. AE 87

AE 87 Helluva Engineer

Fixed it for you (y)(y)

13. Supersizethatorder-mutt

I'll get back to you when the NCAA screws the first school who redshirts a kid because of insufficient "other factors". It WILL happen.

AE 87 likes this.
  14. Supersizethatorder-mutt

Like I have said before, if you trust the NCAA, so be it, but I don't.

Animal02 likes this.
  15. awbuzz

awbuzz Helluva Engineer

Depends what your definition of is is.

16. Skeptic

Skeptic Helluva Engineer

Well, okay, then. As long as you are properly deferential. I will pass on your apology as to the first but you still might be on the hook for that last one.

17. dressedcheeseside

dressedcheeseside Helluva Engineer

I wonder if a player who started for 4 years could play an additional 4 games if he wanted to? Other players are eligible for 4 1/3 years if they arrange the years differently.

vamosjackets likes this.
  18. MountainBuzzMan

MountainBuzzMan Helluva Engineer

That is interesting. Take his redshirt year his last year.

19. Josh H

Josh H Helluva Engineer

I doubt any program would hold a scholarship for a player like that.

20. AE 87

AE 87 Helluva Engineer

So let's say a four-year starter gets injured near the end of his Senior year. For our system, he was great, but pro-teams have questions about his ability at the next level. Besides, he won't be available to participate in either the combine or GT's senior day or to try-out for the pro-teams in the Spring because of his injury.

So, we keep him on scholarship so that he can rehab and recover and then play in the last few games and bowl game the next year.