recruiting classes and off topic posts

Milwaukee

Banned
So the borderline 4's and top 50 in-state guys (that we hadn't been getting, previously) don't do it for you and obviously, Jamious doesn't, either, even though he qualifies.

I'd say the blue chips have actually been beating down our door, if you've paid attention to who has visited. If you wonder when they'll sign, that doesn't happen until December. I would think the "wait and see" crowd might want to hold off on throwing cold water on this thing, especially when all indications thus far have been positive.

As for 5 stars, there are 26 in the whole country. I know Collins is going to make it a long-term goal to get one. Getting one in this class would be tough for any first year staff, as those guys have been recruited for years. But who knows.

Just ignore her.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I didn't put any words in your mouth. You are the one who cited "2017/18". Frankly, your claims border on ludicrous. We were 5-6 in 2017. To think that a healthy B-back would've increased our win total by 100% is laughable. A healthy Mills would not have led to victories vs Clemson, Duke, nor the mutts. We were manhandled in all those losses. To think that a healthy Benson in 2018 would've somehow managed victories in the otherwise-listless offensive performances against Pitt and Duke stretches credibility further. Not sure how the health of either would've miraculously created bigger holes to run through?

Some of our fans use the injury bug too often to excuse some of our poor performances. Outside of 2015, when the entire team was injured, it's a crutch more often than not.
Before the 2017 season someone here said that Mills was a leveling factor because other teams would look over at us during warmups and say, "That's the guy who can beat us."

I played in college on a team with a player like that. We lost him for one game, played great D, and won by 5 points. All our other victories - we were 8 - 1 - were by 28 or more and he seldom played more then a half. Mills wasn't that much of a difference maker, but we would have won against UT (give it to Mills four straight for the two point conversion), Miami (Mills was great in the wet), UVA (ditto), and Duke (they couldn't have stopped him). He really was that good.

There's a faction here that actually believes all that "next man up" foolishness. Skill people start for a reason and when they are all ACC in their sophomore year they are usually very difficult to replace. When Mills left I said we had gone from a 9 win to a 6 win team (I was close). It was like it would have been in 2008 if we had lost Dwyer.

Benson is another story. He did a good job in relief of Mills, but, good as he is, he's no Mills. Still, I'll point out that when he got hurt at USF he had run 5 times for 44 yards. He's a quality back and, while Mason and Howard did a good job replacing him, we would have won at USF and, I think, at Pitt if we had had him. Like Mills, he doesn't really need a hole much.

Well, enough. We'll never agree on this.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Before the 2017 season someone here said that Mills was a leveling factor because other teams would look over at us during warmups and say, "That's the guy who can beat us."

I played in college on a team with a player like that. We lost him for one game, played great D, and won by 5 points. All our other victories - we were 8 - 1 - were by 28 or more and he seldom played more then a half. Mills wasn't that much of a difference maker, but we would have won against UT (give it to Mills four straight for the two point conversion), Miami (Mills was great in the wet), UVA (ditto), and Duke (they couldn't have stopped him). He really was that good.

There's a faction here that actually believes all that "next man up" foolishness. Skill people start for a reason and when they are all ACC in their sophomore year they are usually very difficult to replace. When Mills left I said we had gone from a 9 win to a 6 win team (I was close). It was like it would have been in 2008 if we had lost Dwyer.

Benson is another story. He did a good job in relief of Mills, but, good as he is, he's no Mills. Still, I'll point out that when he got hurt at USF he had run 5 times for 44 yards. He's a quality back and, while Mason and Howard did a good job replacing him, we would have won at USF and, I think, at Pitt if we had had him. Like Mills, he doesn't really need a hole much.

True freshman.
First game.
Last play touchdown to win game.
Pretty studly.

I dont know who your friend was but if Mills had played 2 more years , I think he would have significantly impacted recruiting before he left for NFL.

RickStromFan

Ramblin' Wreck

Any proof of that whatsoever? I doubt that Clemson, mutts, nor any of the P5 teams we play looked at us and thought that. Similarly, I doubt our guys ever looked their way and had thought that about the teams' players we played.

I don't believe "next man up" for every position and player....but I don't believe another RB was gonna win 5 more games either, especially in the 3 games that we got absolutely jack-hammered in.

Agreed though, we won't agree so have a good day and Go Jackets!

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Thing is, I don't mind "wait and see" or cautious optimism, but I get a vibe from some posters that they are eager for this thing to fail so they can be right and scold the rest of us who bought in. And that bugs me and I don't get it.

I think a LOT of what's going on is there are some that dug their heels in the last 10 years telling everyone that "GT can't because the hurdles are too high, GT is too poor, GT isn't this or isn't that, etc." They repeated it so much over the last decade that I think they really believe that. Then a new coach comes in and challenges their way of thinking. They don't want to be proven wrong.

Some of the posters who are the worst about it are truly GT through and through. They would probably in the front of the line if GT went to battle...they are that loyal as GT fans. I don't think they want to see GT fail...at least I hope they don't. I also think it's a pride thing with them and they don't want to be proven wrong about they to vehemently defended the last 10 years.

Winning cures all. Hopefully GT can win enough under CGC that EVERYONE is happy.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Thing is, I don't mind "wait and see" or cautious optimism, but I get a vibe from some posters that they are eager for this thing to fail so they can be right and scold the rest of us who bought in. And that bugs me and I don't get it.
This is the dumbest post I’ve read on here in a very long time. There is nobody on this board that wants this team or program to fail.

*To be clear, I’m not calling the poster dumb, just the post.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
This is the dumbest post I’ve read on here in a very long time. There is nobody on this board that wants this team or program to fail.

I don't actually believe that anyone wants the program to fail. I said that is the *vibe* and attitude that some are putting out and I stand behind that. In other words, I would believe it if I didn't actually know better, and so would any random person who happened to come across this board. When you're dismissively and sarcastically asking where all the 4 stars are in March of the recruiting cycle, that sort of thing comes across exactly as I described.

But I think Techster nailed it, so I'll leave it at that.

Animal02

Banned
I think a LOT of what's going on is there are some that dug their heels in the last 10 years telling everyone that "GT can't because the hurdles are too high, GT is too poor, GT isn't this or isn't that, etc." They repeated it so much over the last decade that I think they really believe that. Then a new coach comes in and challenges their way of thinking. They don't want to be proven wrong.

Some of the posters who are the worst about it are truly GT through and through. They would probably in the front of the line if GT went to battle...they are that loyal as GT fans. I don't think they want to see GT fail...at least I hope they don't. I also think it's a pride thing with them and they don't want to be proven wrong about they to vehemently defended the last 10 years.

Winning cures all. Hopefully GT can win enough under CGC that EVERYONE is happy.
No....a lot of what is going on is posters that have been fans for multiple decades, seen the high and seen the lows not buying "hype" And to top it off, are being told by people that trashed the program for the last 11 years, that we must remain silent and cannot doubt the claims of "soon to compete for multiple NCs" with a coach with a two year, quite average, track record

Techster

Helluva Engineer
No....a lot of what is going on is posters that have been fans for multiple decades, seen the high and seen the lows not buying "hype" And to top it off, are being told by people that trashed the program for the last 11 years, that we must remain silent and cannot doubt the claims of "soon to compete for multiple NCs" with a coach with a two year, quite average, track record

In your own words :rolleyes:

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
In your own words :rolleyes:
No, I think the Animal has pretty much nailed it. Some of the biggest Coach fans are fonts who have posted here for some time and were continually gripping about Paul's program the whole 11 years. Indeed, if you wanted to find a group who don't want to be proven wrong you would be hard pressed to find better candidates then these people. And it is galling to have to put up with guff from them, especially when the program was doing pretty well, by historical Tech standards. And, let's face it, Coach's many virtues do not include a stellar head coaching record.

But he does have many other virtues and with more resources committed to the program - come rain or shine - he will win at Tech. I am sure that'll happen, though probably not as soon as many would like. We're behind the 8 ball right now in terms of comparative resources devoted to the program and until we set that straight Coach will be fighting with one hand tied behind his back. So let's keep our eyes on the prize here and see what happens over the next few years. The main thing Coach does have going for him is that very few Tech coaches have actually failed. Given the various structural difficulties (curriculum, etc.) Tech faces that historical trend is encouraging. We have to stick it out until it reasserts itself, however. Let's hope it's next year, but let's not get too upset if it takes longer.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
I’ll be excited about the direction of the program if we go 6-6 in 2019 and 2020. Why? Year one is obviously a transition year and CGC will largely have players recruited for a different scheme. Year two... Have you looked at the 2020 schedule? Freaking brutal. 6-6 would be equivalent to 8-4 or 9-3 on a normal year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RickStromFan

Ramblin' Wreck
No, I think the Animal has pretty much nailed it.

His sentiment is probably correct though repeated requests for a post by anyone thinking about "competing for multiple nattys in the coming years" have repeatedly produced zero response.
Fair or not, PJ definitely divided the fanbase, esp. in the years since 2014. Hopefully Coach Collins' time here won't be as divisive. As someone else said in this thread "Winning Cures All".

Animal02

Banned
I’ll be excited about the direction of the program if we go 6-6 in 2019 and 2020. Why? Year one is obviously a transition year and CGC will largely have players recruited for a different scheme. Year two... Have you looked at the 2020 schedule? Freaking brutal. 6-6 would be equivalent to 8-4 or 9-3 on a normal year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I will be really disappointed if we don't hit .500 the next two years. But it seems the Kool aid drinkers are setting the bar very low.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
No, I think the Animal has pretty much nailed it. Some of the biggest Coach fans are fonts who have posted here for some time and were continually gripping about Paul's program the whole 11 years. Indeed, if you wanted to find a group who don't want to be proven wrong you would be hard pressed to find better candidates then these people. And it is galling to have to put up with guff from them, especially when the program was doing pretty well, by historical Tech standards. And, let's face it, Coach's many virtues do not include a stellar head coaching record.

But he does have many other virtues and with more resources committed to the program - come rain or shine - he will win at Tech. I am sure that'll happen, though probably not as soon as many would like. We're behind the 8 ball right now in terms of comparative resources devoted to the program and until we set that straight Coach will be fighting with one hand tied behind his back. So let's keep our eyes on the prize here and see what happens over the next few years. The main thing Coach does have going for him is that very few Tech coaches have actually failed. Given the various structural difficulties (curriculum, etc.) Tech faces that historical trend is encouraging. We have to stick it out until it reasserts itself, however. Let's hope it's next year, but let's not get too upset if it takes longer.

I get what you're saying, but my response was specific to the poster. I was probably being a sarcastic rat's behind by posting that, but I think that certain poster had a bit of :rolleyes: karma coming to him. No ill will towards anyone with that...just admittedly being a :poop:.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer

U got him. He didnt type it
Who is the idiot is that is saying we will soon compete for multiple championships.? Whoever your are please reply so we can help u see reality.

If no one replies , can u please give it a rest.
No kidding
It matters what we do on the field .
No we are not going to be competing for nc in the near future.

Milwaukee

Banned
Guys & Gals,,,, If you read the latest Suddes comments in the AJC, he said Collins was talking about being the head coach at GT when he was at Bama! I really think this (the Flats) is the Dude's ultimate destination!! Could be the start of something special!!! WIN, WIN, WIN!!

Prove it on the field, he's just hot air. Talk is cheap. He was average at Temple.

Seriously how retarded is it to hear this from our own fans? Think about that for a second...our OWN fans.

Geoff is my spirit animal. Paul was my spirit animal before Geoff but he left and he's gonna be successful wherever he goes. The fact that we have different clubs within our fanbase is hilarious. But I've pretty much got it figured out: the old *** white dudes are pissing on the Collins hype and the younger crowd are loving it. I'm somewhere in the middle weighing in at 37 years old, but the whole thing is disgraceful imo. No other school's fans have the divide that we do. Oh well.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Prove it on the field, he's just hot air. Talk is cheap. He was average at Temple.

Seriously how retarded is it to hear this from our own fans? Think about that for a second...our OWN fans.

Geoff is my spirit animal. Paul was my spirit animal before Geoff but he left and he's gonna be successful wherever he goes. The fact that we have different clubs within our fanbase is hilarious. But I've pretty much got it figured out: the old *** white dudes are pissing on the Collins hype and the younger crowd are loving it. I'm somewhere in the middle weighing in at 37 years old, but the whole thing is disgraceful imo. No other school's fans have the divide that we do. Oh well.

I just wanna have adult beverages, eat BBQ'd meats, maybe some fruit and veggies to keep the doctor off my azz, and top it all off with ice cream....all the while watching my beloved yellow jackets kick ***.

I'm about your age...so I only get to eat/drink and enjoy my Saturdays irresponsibly for only so much longer.

I just want 2-3 national championships in the next 10 years. I'm not asking for much...:)

Animal02

Banned
U got him. He didnt type it

Who is the idiot is that is saying we will soon compete for multiple championships.? Whoever your are please reply so we can help u see reality.

If no one replies , can u please give it a rest.
No kidding
It matters what we do on the field .
No we are not going to be competing for nc in the near future.
I posted in the past the direct quote.....not going to bother trying to satisfy the Kool aid drinkers that ignore it for their fantasies.