Recent news give me hope against Clemson

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
I would like Step Durham get time at CB/NB over Austin, is there a different skill-set needed for Nickel Back as apposed to pure Corner Back? Maybe covering slot type receivers that are quick/shifty?

Durham is a CB cover guy and so far his tackling has been spotty at best. Not a Nickel IMO.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Query 1: Is this Tigger team better then the one we beat at Grant field in 2011? Answer: You've got to be kidding! Not even close.

Query 2: Is this Tech team better then the one that won in 2011? Answer: Again, no, but the difference isn't as great as it is for the Tiggers.

Query 3: Do we have a chance to win? Answer: Yes, but it'll take a 2011 effort to do it. I sure do wish we had David Sims or Preston Lyons on this team to help, but there it is. And, for once, absolutely no special teams foulups, please.

Query 4: Would you bet on us? Answer: Not up there. But you never know.

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
I think that may be the first time I have heard anyone claim UNC has a better defense than Clemson. And I don't believe that for a second, myself. Further, IF Clemson has a defensive weakness, it isn't against the run, it's against the pass. Have you noticed what it is we try to do?

I believe Clemson lost 9 of 11 guys off of their starting defense from last year = inexperience

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I would like Step Durham get time at CB/NB over Austin, is there a different skill-set needed for Nickel Back as apposed to pure Corner Back? Maybe covering slot type receivers that are quick/shifty?

Step gets time at Corner. The Nickel is a Safety type position. One Austin plays corner and the other plays Nickel, iiuc.

johncu

Jolly Good Fellow
Just my personal opinion. But I disagree with this. Would I like to see some big plays? Absolutely. However, points are points. I don't care if we nickle and dime down the field. Just punch it in the endzone and get the points.

I get what you're saying, but it's not that simple.

The difference between a home run hitting offense and a nickel and dime offense is no more evident than when we get stuffed on 4th and 1 at the goal line, or we fumble, or we chop block and put ourselves in an unmanageable situation. The more plays you have to run, the more chance there is of screwing it up. Had we turned one of those 5 yard gains into a TD, we wouldn't have had to worry about punching it in on the goal line.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
the only way we win this game is that out luck turns like last yr---QB gets hurt,pick 6, funny bounces,the right penalties etc --- and our DEF steps up BIG time
if sameold/same old-won't even keep the pts line
If I believed that I wouldn't even bother to watch. D obviously has to play well because that QB is for real and they have an outstanding WR. We can win on execution and scheme. If we have some luck, then good. Sometimes you do, sometimes the other guy does. I would take it but not counting on it.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I was very impressed with Clemson.

In fact, I would say they played a Bobby Dodd style game. Not that he played the same way against every opponent but this was kind of like how he took on some big opponents. Hit them in the mouth fast a couple of times and then hang on in the clinches until the final bell.

Clemson came out fast against Notre Dame, scored quickly, threw them off with a defensive scheme that took away their prized weapon, and then played conservative mistake free football as the monsoon rains increased. Very smart and well executed.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I believe Clemson lost 9 of 11 guys off of their starting defense from last year = inexperience

Their D got 4 turnovers in the second half to win the game. Plus stopped two 2 point trys. I think the Clemson D is stronger than their O......

If we are +3 TO against Clemson, like Clemson was against ND, I think we will win. But that isn't likely. Regardless, I'll watch and like a 3:30 start.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I think that may be the first time I have heard anyone claim UNC has a better defense than Clemson. And I don't believe that for a second, myself. Further, IF Clemson has a defensive weakness, it isn't against the run, it's against the pass. Have you noticed what it is we try to do?
That is a first. I don't know why but Clemson's defense is always underrated. That is a very good defense and make no mistake. Every time it lost a 4-5 star for one reason or another, they had an immediately replacement. They will be all over our D line, looking for and creating gaps to get into the backfield and disrupt the option before Thomas wants to make his decision. As we have seen that can frustrate him. Our O line had best step up because Venables can also coach the defense, maybe as good as Foster at VT, who I think is the ACC gold standard. We can win, but not because they have a weak defense,. In spite of it. Our O got just two scores on them last year remember.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I thought Durham was going to be a lock down corner but he barely gets any playing time now. Are these guys in front just better?

Was an EE so it probably feels like he's been here longer than he actually has.

IIUC, he's basically behind the two starters who are multi-year starting upperclassmen. No shame in being behind them.(y)

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
IIRC, we did not move the ball easily on them last year. Seems like I remember a small but very quick DT that gave us fits. He played really low and we just could not block the guy. If that was Clemson, I trust that guy has moved on?

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Obviously it would be sweet if we could have all death marches and keep Clemson from running a lot of plays as they like to do.

The problem is we are not blocking things consistently enough yet this season to put together reliable grinding drives. Consequently we do need to hit some big plays.

Perhaps later in the season the offense will start to hum and the big play potential will be less critical. Even better maybe this week we show that consistency. I like Skov as a BB but he hasn't been here long enough to develop a feel for the crease and how to slice in there for the key extra yard we need. Not his fault...it is something that is learned through reps.
Yes. See Johnson's AJC comments on needing longer bursts from scrimmage. The master of the long, time-consuming drives knows the longer it takes the more chance of mistakes, and the field has to be shortened occasionally. But to do that somebody needs to spring somebody on the edge, and that somebody has to have enough speed to get to the edge, and enough to get downfield. Maybe sooner than later, but we can hope.

Just my personal opinion. But I disagree with this. Would I like to see some big plays? Absolutely. However, points are points. I don't care if we nickle and dime down the field. Just punch it in the endzone and get the points.
We can't win without controlling the ball on offense. Our defense is capable, but too fragile and too light to withstand pounding by OL that are athletic and outweigh them by 35 pounds. We have to keep opponents offense , and our defense, on the bench for 35 + minutes each week or face almost certain annihilation.