Recent news give me hope against Clemson

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm not sure if the team that took the field last week could win. But Taquan will play, Gamble will play, and Marshall (B back Marshall) will get more carries, according to reports this morning. Snoddy has not been counted out. I don't see us getting points if we have to grind down the field four yards at a time. We have to hit some big plays this week, or so it seems to me.

If someone could fine Attaochu and put Simmons' number on him, Id' really feel good about our chances.

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
I don't see us getting points if we have to grind down the field four yards at a time.

Just my personal opinion. But I disagree with this. Would I like to see some big plays? Absolutely. However, points are points. I don't care if we nickle and dime down the field. Just punch it in the endzone and get the points.

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
I hope Snoddy is back also. He is a definite home run threat.
However, more than getting Snoddy back I want to see offensive cohesion.
Blocking was a bit better against UNC but it needs to be even better this week.

You can have all the home run hitters in the world on your roster. If you don't execute the play correctly and hit your block it doesn't make much difference between a 4.2 guy and a 4.6 guy, your success even with the more talented player will be limited.

We have to BLOCK. Not just block A guy, you gotta block YOUR guy. Your key. Execute.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I hope Snoddy is back also. He is a definite home run threat.
However, more than getting Snoddy back I want to see offensive cohesion.
Blocking was a bit better against UNC but it needs to be even better this week.

You can have all the home run hitters in the world on your roster. If you don't execute the play correctly and hit your block it doesn't make much difference between a 4.2 guy and a 4.6 guy, your success even with the more talented player will be limited.

We have to BLOCK. Not just block A guy, you gotta block YOUR guy. Your key. Execute.

You're not wrong per se. However, the UNC game showed us why we need homerun threats in addition to competent blocking. We had several nice gains that would've been TD's had we had homerun hitters in there.

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
You're not wrong per se. However, the UNC game showed us why we need homerun threats in addition to competent blocking. We had several nice gains that would've been TD's had we had homerun hitters in there.
I agree. Homerun Hitters are a great addition to any team. And by all means I want Snoddy back bad.

But just me personally I will take the nice gains and correct execution. I think that is what will matter most in crunch time.

If you become dependent upon homerun hitters then the defense will eventually smarten up and key on those players.

However if you become sound, balanced, and execution becomes your strength then a defense can't pinpoint a weakness.

Again jmo. I agree with what you are saying as well. Both are important. I just personally prefer one over the other. (y)

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
Still not overly impressed with them. Notre Dame gave them that game. When ND started getting it going they went up and down the field on Clemson. This was there super bowl and they came out ready to play. Everybody assumes they're so great because of who they beat but before this game they were average looking at best. They struggled with Louisville and it took them 3 qtrs to get going against App St. This is a hangover game for a young, overhyped team. Sound familiar?!? We beat them Saturday.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Can someone tell me how long Snoddy will be out? Is it season ending or close to it? He is the only "burner" we have left, and if he is gone, 40 yard gains will continue to be 10 yard gains, if we are fortunate.
I am not so sure that Snoddy is the only "burner" we have left. Surely, Searcy was a burner and he is gone. However, I would call M Marshall a burner too. TaQuon isn't far behind. I think you would also find Lands-Davis stretches a few more angles than either Willis or Lynch. However, your main point is well taken. We need more speed in there.

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
Not sure yet about predicting a win, but I like the way this game sets-up ... pressure is all on them.

Also their defense may not be as good as what we faced the last three weeks, I think it'll come down to how much we can contain Watkins.

Ash

Ramblin' Wreck
Also their defense may not be as good as what we faced the last three weeks, I think it'll come down to how much we can contain Watkins.

Their D is fast and strong...more than enough to give us problems especially the way we have been playing. But your point about Wakins is right on. We have very little margin for error (and that includes play calling).

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
image.png
Statistically ND dominated them except that last glaring stat on the bottom.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Still not overly impressed with them. Notre Dame gave them that game. When ND started getting it going they went up and down the field on Clemson. This was there super bowl and they came out ready to play. Everybody assumes they're so great because of who they beat but before this game they were average looking at best. They struggled with Louisville and it took them 3 qtrs to get going against App St. This is a hangover game for a young, overhyped team. Sound familiar?!? We beat them Saturday.
Points well taken, and if we have learned anything about Paul Johnson in seven+ years, it is not to push an apple cart in front of him. I can take all these points and add that Thomas so far this season has not been nearly the QB he was last November, for whatever reason. No late flourishes and finishes, no first downs by inches on fourth down, no routine third down conversions. This team can win. I am convinced of it. And Clemson will be much aware of it. At the same time, don't think they will play small. This is a good team that is believing it can be in that Gang of Four at the end. It can run the ball -- not good news for us -- and it can throw it, not much better news. Earlier? App State once bounced Michigan. Louisville -- good team played on short rest, at Louisville, and they won. ND? Well, they won. We lost to the same team, big time. I think it will come down to the D and blocking on the edge. So far, a thin straw. We can hope.

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
Obviously it would be sweet if we could have all death marches and keep Clemson from running a lot of plays as they like to do.

The problem is we are not blocking things consistently enough yet this season to put together reliable grinding drives. Consequently we do need to hit some big plays.

Perhaps later in the season the offense will start to hum and the big play potential will be less critical. Even better maybe this week we show that consistency. I like Skov as a BB but he hasn't been here long enough to develop a feel for the crease and how to slice in there for the key extra yard we need. Not his fault...it is something that is learned through reps.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Not sure yet about predicting a win, but I like the way this game sets-up ... pressure is all on them.

I think that may be the first time I have heard anyone claim UNC has a better defense than Clemson. And I don't believe that for a second, myself. Further, IF Clemson has a defensive weakness, it isn't against the run, it's against the pass. Have you noticed what it is we try to do?

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Neither Snoddy nor Gamble are listed on today's depth chart.

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools...depth_chart_event/depth_chart_20151006aaa.pdf

Perhaps Gamble will be come Thursday, however I didn't interpret CPJ's statement yesterday as if it's a certainty.

A.J. Gray now listed as backup at 2 spots - Demond at FS and Law Austin at nickle.

More subtle - noticed Saturday that Fromayan was sent in after Joe's ineligible man downfield penalty rather than Bryan.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Let's see...

Tech is an underdog...
Media gives 0 chance to win...
We're playing Clemson...

That's all the hope I need! Traditionally, this is the game where Tech goes out and shines, making everyone scratch there head and go, "Huh? Is that the same team we saw the last few weeks?"

nod

Ramblin' Wreck
I would like Step Durham get time at CB/NB over Austin, is there a different skill-set needed for Nickel Back as apposed to pure Corner Back? Maybe covering slot type receivers that are quick/shifty?

alagold

Helluva Engineer
Points well taken, and if we have learned anything about Paul Johnson in seven+ years, it is not to push an apple cart in front of him. I can take all these points and add that Thomas so far this season has not been nearly the QB he was last November, for whatever reason. No late flourishes and finishes, no first downs by inches on fourth down, no routine third down conversions. This team can win. I am convinced of it. And Clemson will be much aware of it. At the same time, don't think they will play small. This is a good team that is believing it can be in that Gang of Four at the end. It can run the ball -- not good news for us -- and it can throw it, not much better news. Earlier? App State once bounced Michigan. Louisville -- good team played on short rest, at Louisville, and they won. ND? Well, they won. We lost to the same team, big time. I think it will come down to the D and blocking on the edge. So far, a thin straw. We can hope.

the only way we win this game is that out luck turns like last yr---QB gets hurt,pick 6, funny bounces,the right penalties etc --- and our DEF steps up BIG time
if sameold/same old-won't even keep the pts line