Recent Baseball News....

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
The word coaching has a broad umbrella. The same people are doing the evaluating and field coaching. Even more reason to clean house.
Yes! All of it is on the staff & CDH.

I'm trying to elicit opinions on (and better understand) if under that "umbrella" is there a significant (disparate) flaw in the talent evaluation over the coaching (instruction & strategy)... or vice versa. For some reason, I happen to be very skeptical (like @dawgbasher) that the "recruiting ratings" are worth much.

RoosterJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Regardless of how highly rated the kids are coming out of HS, they're not going to do much in college without good coaching of fundamentals. Just not sure we've had the level of coaches at GT that can help a kid really improve his game. It seems to me the kids that improve over their time at GT seem to do so after getting outside coaching during the summer.

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
Regardless of how highly rated the kids are coming out of HS, they're not going to do much in college without good coaching of fundamentals. Just not sure we've had the level of coaches at GT that can help a kid really improve his game. It seems to me the kids that improve over their time at GT seem to do so after getting outside coaching during the summer.

How do you differentiate if a player improves due to "getting outside coaching in the summer" or due to some other reason?? It seems like the only way to definitely say someone improved due to coaching in the summer is if you see clear improvement from the beginning of the summer season to the end of the summer season. I don't follow summer league results close enough to answer that. Any other comparison time frames seems like you cannot isolate the cause of improvement specifically to summer league coaching. Too many other variables. There have been examples of consistent year over year improvements (see Wade Bailey, Matt gonzo) as well as examples otherwise (purifoy).

Yes! All of it is on the staff & CDH.

I'm trying to elicit opinions on (and better understand) if under that "umbrella" is there a significant (disparate) flaw in the talent evaluation over the coaching (instruction & strategy)... or vice versa. For some reason, I happen to be very skeptical (like @dawgbasher) that the "recruiting ratings" are worth much.
The recruiting rankings are for the most part worthless. There are so many HS and summer ball played with so many players how could one distinguish between the 350th player and 500 player. It is all subjective. From the way it looks at Tech we have been recruiting baseball the way the mutts recruit football. They look at the services and go after the so called best players. I believe the coaches at Tech have gotten very lazy and the results I think back that up. The players don't do the small things well or the big things well. They lose focus way too often. Tech's decline is a combo of not good coaching and development and over valued recruiting. The draft will tell you where your programs is and we've not had that kind of talent in a while or when we've had that talent it has been injured or wasted.

65Jacket

GT Athlete
Weiters, Texiera, Paulka, Veratec, and Garcia-Para were not from East Cobb.Yet they are real blue chip players we have had over the years.

Weiters, Texiera, Paulka, Veratec, and Garcia-Para were not from East Cobb.Yet they are real blue chip players we have had over the years.
Those players were a life time ago. Our best current major leaguer right now would be Charlie Blackmon. When did he leave 7 yesrs ago?

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Those players were a life time ago. Our best current major leaguer right now would be Charlie Blackmon. When did he leave 7 yesrs ago?

Here's our draft history for the last 15 years and where they are now:
http://www.thebaseballcube.com/draft/research.asp?SF=20124

Buck Farmer is the last one to make it to the MLB. There may be a few others drafted after him who make it, but not many. We don't have an overabundance of talent that makes it to the MLB level. A lot make it to the puppy farm (minors).

twofortheroad

Georgia Tech Fan
I have it on good authority that the following has taken place :

1. Brandt Stallings has left the team & will attend another university
2. Parker McCoy has left the team & will attend a junior college.
3. Jason Rooks will not be attending GT. He will be attending a junior college in Alabama.
4. Kel Johnson is having shoulder surgery to repair injury he incurred last season.

This is all bad news I know. There is also a possibility of another pitcher leaving. Don't know for sure the truth about that one yet, but will report back when fall practice starts. Things are not getting any better guys.
Next year could be a carbon copy of last year I am afraid.

I have been able to confirm the above. Stallings will attend GSCU, McCoy will be attending Chattahoochee Valley in Alabama (JC), Rooks to Gulf Coast in FL (JC) wants to position himself higher in next year's draft as he will be eligible and finally Kel did have surgery but could be back in the spring - depends on his swing.

As far as another pitcher leaving, I have also heard that we will be losing another pitcher only and more than likely a lefty.

As of right now, there are only 35 roster players (after the shakeup) including the incoming class - have heard that Kale Ledford may have de-committed too, not sure about that. So don't know what any preferred walk on/walk on situations are, anyone heard? But at best they have maybe 40/45 to work with to get down to 35 roster spots.

dawgbasher

Jolly Good Fellow
Had not heard about Kale Ledford. I'll try to get some info on that to see what the story is. One preferred walk-on that I know of is Cole Neuber from Johns Creek HS. Also heard that the pitcher who might be leaving is a lefty. Not gonna give name until I know for sure if he is coming back or not. Does anyone know for sure if Joseph Mannelly & Jamie Taylor from Marist are scholly athletes or walk ons ? I have seen them listed as scholly athletes, but one of the current GT players dad told me they are both walk ons. Does anyone know for sure their status ? Both were recruited by Prince.

twofortheroad

Georgia Tech Fan
Just heard that a PO righty is also not returning...don't have a name yet.

As far as Mannelly is concerned, I thought he was a scholarship player not sure about Taylor. Mannelly is an East Cobb Yankee.

Will be interesting when they start fall ball this year. Last year they waited until the absolute last minute to give everyone time to recover from the summer play.

Screwball

Georgia Tech Fan
I have been able to confirm the above. Stallings will attend GSCU, McCoy will be attending Chattahoochee Valley in Alabama (JC), Rooks to Gulf Coast in FL (JC) wants to position himself higher in next year's draft as he will be eligible and finally Kel did have surgery but could be back in the spring - depends on his swing.

As far as another pitcher leaving, I have also heard that we will be losing another pitcher only and more than likely a lefty.

As of right now, there are only 35 roster players (after the shakeup) including the incoming class - have heard that Kale Ledford may have de-committed too, not sure about that. So don't know what any preferred walk on/walk on situations are, anyone heard? But at best they have maybe 40/45 to work with to get down to 35 roster spots.

McCoy (Medical Redshirt FR), Rooks and Ledford will all be attending JUCO, Chattahoochee Valley CC in Phenix City, AL.

dawgbasher

Jolly Good Fellow
I guess Ledford & Rooks both had academic issues. This class is very thin. I see no immediate impact players except Hurter. Mind boggling really.

dawgbasher

Jolly Good Fellow
Does anyone know how Tristin English is doing in his rehab? Only chance for Tech to be decent is for English to come back & be a force, hopefully on the mound. We will see.

twofortheroad

Georgia Tech Fan
McCoy (Medical Redshirt FR), Rooks and Ledford will all be attending JUCO, Chattahoochee Valley CC in Phenix City, AL.

It is my understanding for McCoy that he is not at Tech and will be attending a JUCO however, my resources may be wrong. If you look at the roster online (2018) he is not listed and Jay Shadday is listed (Medical Redshirt) so that would lead me to believe that he is not attending. The roster generally lists RS even MRS. Tristen was listed last year.

As it relates to Tristin, my understanding is he is on target and should be expected back in full capacity. Had not heard about Parr but he is not listed on the updated roster which leads me to believe you are correct. It's interesting that the roster is updated already since last year it wasn't updated until way after the fall practice/cuts.

Chattahoochee Valley is a legit school and a great place to be to get back up to speed so could add one of these three at a later time.