Recent Baseball News....

dawgbasher

Jolly Good Fellow
I have it on good authority that the following has taken place :

1. Brandt Stallings has left the team & will attend another university
2. Parker McCoy has left the team & will attend a junior college.
3. Jason Rooks will not be attending GT. He will be attending a junior college in Alabama.
4. Kel Johnson is having shoulder surgery to repair injury he incurred last season.

This is all bad news I know. There is also a possibility of another pitcher leaving. Don't know for sure the truth about that one yet, but will report back when fall practice starts. Things are not getting any better guys.
Next year could be a carbon copy of last year I am afraid.

65Jacket

GT Athlete
Stalling has not hit a lick in Summer ball. Started in Cape Cod and moved to a lesser league. I can think of a number of pitchers who may be the one to leave. How goodwas Rooks and what position did he play?

dawgbasher

Jolly Good Fellow
Stalling has not hit a lick in Summer ball. Started in Cape Cod and moved to a lesser league. I can think of a number of pitchers who may be the one to leave. How goodwas Rooks and what position did he play?
Rooks is a right fielder who is a very gifted player. Went to Walton HS. Could have stepped right in & started. Great speed, hits with power. 3X the player Kel Johnson is. Drafted in the 38th round. Academic casualty. Tough loss for Tech.

dawgbasher

Jolly Good Fellow
Is Kel likely to miss the season due to the surgery?
Not sure. Typical labrum repair takes 6 months after surgery before an athlete is cleared to play. Physical therapy after surgery is key in order to get full range of motion back. This is a tough injury, but he should be able to play during season. Some come back faster than others. He is young so he should be ok.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I have it on good authority that the following has taken place :

1. Brandt Stallings has left the team & will attend another university
2. Parker McCoy has left the team & will attend a junior college.
3. Jason Rooks will not be attending GT. He will be attending a junior college in Alabama.
4. Kel Johnson is having shoulder surgery to repair injury he incurred last season.

This is all bad news I know. There is also a possibility of another pitcher leaving. Don't know for sure the truth about that one yet, but will report back when fall practice starts. Things are not getting any better guys.
Next year could be a carbon copy of last year I am afraid.

Very bad news. No wonder Kel didn't get drafted. I think his productive time at GT is done. Hopefully he gets well enough to get drafted.

We have several pitchers who have been hurt on and off. Wouldn't surprise me if we lose others.

Next year won't be a carbon copy for me. I had hoped this last year we'd go to super regionals. Next year I doubt we make the NCAAs again. The only bright side is I'm usually wrong about these things; but I see little compelling to hold my interest in GT baseball right now.

dawgbasher

Jolly Good Fellow
Pitching next year gonna be very suspect. Only 3 incoming freshman pitchers. But don't worry, we have tons of infielders coming in. Go figure.

RoosterJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Pitching next year gonna be very suspect. Only 3 incoming freshman pitchers. But don't worry, we have tons of infielders coming in. Go figure.
Rarely do freshmen pitchers make a huge impact anyways, but it is concerning to see so few pitchers in this class; the biggest thing is that we really need the following pitchers to elevate their game BIG-TIME: Hughes, Lee, Curry, Gibson, Thomas. Then if Datoc and Carpenter can build upon this past season's success, that would be even better. 3 of those first 5 I mentioned need to really pick it up and become consistent weekend starters. I think Brace will be a good pitcher for GT this season, but as my first sentence says, rarely do freshmen make a huge impact and they really shouldn't be expected to have to for an ACC team very often. That last sentence was written terribly...

Other pitchers not mentioned above:
SR - Parr, Schneiderjans
JR - Winborne, Combs, Dulaney, English (hopefully!!)
SOPH - Gooden, Archer (Shadday assumed out due to recovery)

tkh74

Georgia Tech Fan
I am really sadden by the way CDH's career is finishing up. You can't just say that this past season was a bad year brought on by injury, or poor performance by a few players. It' been several seasons of decline that one would hope has bottomed out this past season. It has had the effect of leaving many of the fans/people I know feeling helpless going forward. In many ways it's the same problem that uga faced with their women's basketball coach when a HOF coach is no longer competing at the level that made them a HOF coach. When things get to this point it's hard for the coach, school, and the fans.
Make no mistake that my hope going forward is for CDH to find some magic in a bottle that allows him to leave on his own terms, and at the top of his game. However there is a difference between hope, and expectations, and the expectations are a little low for me at the moment.
As I am a new member of this site I hope this post broke no rules, and if it did hope the Mods. remove. Don't mean to be a Debbie Downer, but we are capable of being better...........I hope, and if not what changed so much that we no longer can compete at the top of the ACC.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
I am really sadden by the way CDH's career is finishing up. You can't just say that this past season was a bad year brought on by injury, or poor performance by a few players. It' been several seasons of decline that one would hope has bottomed out this past season. It has had the effect of leaving many of the fans/people I know feeling helpless going forward. In many ways it's the same problem that uga faced with their women's basketball coach when a HOF coach is no longer competing at the level that made them a HOF coach. When things get to this point it's hard for the coach, school, and the fans.
Make no mistake that my hope going forward is for CDH to find some magic in a bottle that allows him to leave on his own terms, and at the top of his game. However there is a difference between hope, and expectations, and the expectations are a little low for me at the moment.
As I am a new member of this site I hope this post broke no rules, and if it did hope the Mods. remove. Don't mean to be a Debbie Downer, but we are capable of being better...........I hope, and if not what changed so much that we no longer can compete at the top of the ACC.

You summed up a lot of what most Tech fans feel, not out of line at all IMO!

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

I'm not a moderator but am very involved with the site. What you say is rational even if not pleasant.

But reality and facts often aren't pleasant. I got over that a long time ago when I realized nothing is forever.

We'll pick up in the New Year with new hopes. If the pitching is a lot better, we may be relevant in the ACC. That may happen; but the summer ball statistics are not promising. Even Beesball.com isn't posting this year. http://www.beesball.com/

Only 213 days to opening pitch.

Very bad news. No wonder Kel didn't get drafted. I think his productive time at GT is done. Hopefully he gets well enough to get drafted.

We have several pitchers who have been hurt on and off. Wouldn't surprise me if we lose others.

Next year won't be a carbon copy for me. I had hoped this last year we'd go to super regionals. Next year I doubt we make the NCAAs again. The only bright side is I'm usually wrong about these things; but I see little compelling to hold my interest in GT baseball right now.
I hope your wrong, but suspect your right unfortunately.

65Jacket

GT Athlete
The latest report on RR.com is as bad as the others.We have several guys batting below .100. How can we have such poor performance? Maybe the only saving grace is that a number of guys are apparently not playing Summer ball.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
You indeed captured the "situation"

dawgbasher

Jolly Good Fellow
Recruiting talent evaluation is now being magnified. Just going to the East Cobb Yankees & pulling your players from that team will not work anymore. I hate to say it, but I have been involved on the major travel ball scene for the last 10 years, many of these kids Tech are signing are vastly overrated. Some they have signed in the last two years are actually laughable as Div 1 prospects. In my mind, there is no wonder as to why we are at the level we are at the present time. Talent evaluation is severely lacking. Just my two cents.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Recruiting talent evaluation is now being magnified. Just going to the East Cobb Yankees & pulling your players from that team will not work anymore. I hate to say it, but I have been involved on the major travel ball scene for the last 10 years, many of these kids Tech are signing are vastly overrated. Some they have signed in the last two years are actually laughable as Div 1 prospects. In my mind, there is no wonder as to why we are at the level we are at the present time. Talent evaluation is severely lacking. Just my two cents.
I'd like to see this idea discussed more. Quite a few people have posted comments over the last few years being critical of our coaching BASED on the 'fact' that our recruiting classes are rated so high. Therefore, our 'coaching' must be slipping since the performance doesn't measure up to the talent we ingest. I do not claim to know.. but I really want to know if the problem is really in exactly what you identify... talent evaluation/recruiting. Now... our coaches happen to be the talent evaluators and recruiters too. However, for some reason, I really care (many probably don't) to what extent the problem is flawed recruiting (including talent evaluation) and how much is coaching.

...with regards to talent evaluation, can anyone help me understand how much your typical D1 coaching staff (with limited resources) must rely on 3rd party evaluations and/or 'networking' to get the job done recruiting-wise?