Real Jabari news thread

bartoma

Jolly Good Fellow
FYI he could be eligible by NCAA GPA rules, just not GT GPA rules.

Now, I Am not saying that is the case, but it has happened to us in the past; and wouldn't shock me if again were to be the case.

GT is tougher on its athletes than the NCAA and almost every other school for eligibility. Its also one thing that i think needs to be changed at a hard school at tech. I wonder if they did change this or not? If that is still the case or not?

2.5 GPA was my graduating class average. GT is not a GPA school. There is a reason 3.0 is with honors.
Heck, I graduated with a 2.7, made dean's list only once, my next to last quarter... I remember wondering how the hell kids like Stefan Scotten, starting fullback and EE major, managed to get through that place...

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
GT, along with most STEM schools, is a GPA deflation school. When I was being interviewed for jobs, the recruiters knew to add 0.7 to our GPA to compare us to someone from Auburn or Clemson, for example. When I was a junior in electrical engineering, the profs were told that the average GPA for junior level EE courses had to be 2.4, so you can imagine how many C's, D's and F's have to be given to average 2.4!! With all of that said, it concerns me about the name change, if that is rebellion toward a parent who is showing tough love to his kid. Maybe that is not what it is about, but if so, the kid has a lot of growing up to do....

B Lifsey

Helluva Engineer
Then why did CPJ make the statement recently that if he passed he would be eligible to play and he could not think of a reason not to play him in the bowl?
I took him to be saying IF he became eligible then there is no reason to not play him in the bowl. I didn't think CPJ made any reference as to whether he was going to pass or not...just that if he did he would play.

http://www.ajc.com/news/sports/college/hunt-days-could-be-eligible-for-techs-bowl-game/njF8w/

Animal02

Banned
Heck, I graduated with a 2.7, made dean's list only once, my next to last quarter... I remember wondering how the hell kids like Stefan Scotten, starting fullback and EE major, managed to get through that place...
Graduated with a 2.1, went on to U of Detroit, partied more studied less and graduated with 2.8 for my 2nd degree....

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
All reports about Jabari's progress this fall have been high, both on the practice field and in the classroom. That, coupled with CPJ's statements that he'd be eligible for the bowl game if he passed his classes, led us to believe he'd play. The announcement would be a formality. Apparently not. Apparently KW 2.0.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
All reports about Jabari's progress this fall have been high, both on the practice field and in the classroom. That, coupled with CPJ's statements that he'd be eligible for the bowl game if he passed his classes, led us to believe he'd play. The announcement would be a formality. Apparently not. Apparently KW 2.0.

I agree. If his semester GPA had to be 3.0 or better to bring his overall high enough, then the communication should have been "he has a long way to go; we will see." That is not how it was communicated.

inGTwetrust

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm not sure what everyone is panicking over? Nothing has been announced and even if he knows the ruling its not any of our business until he says it is. For all we know he will be back. And if not he has 2 more semesters to bust his *** and get back.... patience.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder

I haven't seen any reports that Jabari was doing well in the classroom...

To me, CPJ never inferred that Jabari would be playing...he said if he got his grades right he would be. Which is true.

I don't see how KW was similar to this...Also CPJ never said that KW would be playing this year. I think people take the words that he could if things worked out right and turn that to he will be.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
It was communicated that Jabari was a bright kid and good kid who just stopped going to class. It was implied that it wasn't an intellectual issue, but an attitudinal one. It was communicated that his attitude was adjusted 180 degrees. CPJ was asked directly about both JHD and KW and their chances for playing in the bowl. It never sounded like a long shot. It sounded more like an high probability. Then we learned no on KW and now we learn most likely not on JHD.

Maybe we shouldn't be assuming the best when we read reports. Or maybe we should be taking reports with a grain of salt.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Why does CPJ have to communicate that? What did he say that lead you to believe that he would be 100% playing.

Nothing led me to believe he was 100% playing, but I would rather not here that he "might or can probably" play, if it takes an academically gargantuan effort to make it happen..... Just keep it as a surprise. "he might be able to play" is not as good as "we will see, but it isn't at all a done deal" Just my opinion though..... I hate getting my hopes up, so I usually assume the worst, and in JHD's case, I let my hopes get too high.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
It was communicated that Jabari was a bright kid and good kid who just stopped going to class. It was implied that it wasn't an intellectual issue, but an attitudinal one. It was communicated that his attitude was adjusted 180 degrees. CPJ was asked directly about both JHD and KW and their chances for playing in the bowl. It never sounded like a long shot. It sounded more like an high probability. Then we learned no on KW and now we learn most likely not on JHD.

Maybe we shouldn't be assuming the best when we read reports. Or maybe we should be taking reports with a grain of salt.

Most of the bold is true...Expect the attitude part. I have no clue where that is coming from...I know that is something that I haven't reported and that CPJ hasn't said.

The second bolded part....what CPJ quotes lead you to believe that?

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
Nothing led me to believe he was 100% playing, but I would rather not here that he "might or can probably" play, if it takes a academically gargantuan effort to make it happen..... Just keep it as a surprise. "he might be able to play" is not as good as "we will see, but it isn't at all a done deal" Just my opinion though..... I hate getting my hopes up, so I usually assume the worst, and in JHD's case, I let my hopes get too high.

CPJ was asked about it and gave a honest response.

No wonder CPJ doesnt like talking to the media.