Re the field goal

1939hotmagic

Jolly Good Fellow
woes, here's a question which someone might be able to provide some information. Earlier this year, in the 2017 recruiting threads for walk-ons, there was speculation of a transfer/walk-on from Div. 3 Berry College, a young man named Obie Brannon who as a true frosh stepped in mid-season for Berry, made a couple of high pressure field goals, and also did some kick-offs and punting last fall. Two-time conference special teams player of the week.

I don't see him on the 2017 Berry roster -- nor the Tech roster. Anyone hear anything more about Brannon? (Apologies in advance if I simply missed something.)

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I think BornAJacket who would be on Hive or Rivals still has a son that plays for Berry. Remember him talking about that guy. You may want to try Buzzbomb on here he talks to him.

Adadu

Helluva Engineer
According to CPJ Davis has done well in practice. Remember that Butker didn't have the smoothest start to his career either (granted he could boot a kickoff). Imagine having, literally, millions of eyes on you in your first ever college game. Don't think we need this kid right now to be totally honest.

Milwaukee

Banned
He is getting off too easy imo. Yes, he's a walk on. Yes, he's a student athlete. But damn, you have a job to do whether you're a Sr or a walk on. I don't mean to sound like I'm coming down on the kid but someone should, and I imagine PJ is. I highly doubt PJ went to his office and said "well hell, you can't expect him to make those kicks. He's only a walk on."

PJ needs to light him up, let him know how important he can be, and then move on with him and support him. He will surely to God improve and we need him to, but damn he's getting off way too easy when he should've won the ballgame. Those kicks were embarrassing, and he'll probably say the same.

I'm behind the kid going forward, hope he turns out to be a good redemption story.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
So, help me out here...I am confused. As I recall, after we lost Bulovas to Bama, we had another kid who was touted as being really good come in. Was that Davis? Some folks were bragging about him booming KO's into the end zone and having a huge leg. I thought this kid was hurt with a groin injury for a while (at least) in Fall camp.

If that was Davis, then I am sorely disappointed. More in his KO's than in his FG's (not that either looked good).

I am hoping I am confused and we have a better kicker wait gin the wings recovering from injury. Am I wrong?

melloace

Jolly Good Fellow
The scholarship kicker we got to replace Bulovas was Brenton King. He had a pulled muscle in fall camp and missed a lot of reps.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
He is getting off too easy imo. Yes, he's a walk on. Yes, he's a student athlete. But damn, you have a job to do whether you're a Sr or a walk on. I don't mean to sound like I'm coming down on the kid but someone should, and I imagine PJ is. I highly doubt PJ went to his office and said "well hell, you can't expect him to make those kicks. He's only a walk on."

PJ needs to light him up, let him know how important he can be, and then move on with him and support him. He will surely to God improve and we need him to, but damn he's getting off way too easy when he should've won the ballgame. Those kicks were embarrassing, and he'll probably say the same.

I'm behind the kid going forward, hope he turns out to be a good redemption story.

M,
I hope you are kidding.The guy is PAYING HIS OWN WAY--we should not expect more.btw-I noticed that the Pitt kicker missed 2 shortish ones this wk.

Adadu

Helluva Engineer

Sure, the game came down to a field goal opportunity but without other mistakes by the rest of the team we aren't in that position to begin with. You cannot blame that loss entirely on the kicker, period. If you do, you either don't know football or want to create a narrative that focuses on one guy's mistake versus the performance of the team (defense lacking in second half, cooper's illegal block, two fumbles, missed tackles that led to 50 yard TD, Tennessee winning jump balls, etc). That was his first game and it was on a huge stage. I'd probably **** up on my kicks too.

Milwaukee

Banned
Agree with everything you just said. He's not the only reason but this thread is about him.

JJ gets hell, Roof gets hell, Step gets hell from everyone after that game. This kid should be held to the same standard. Cry me a river with this walk on stuff. He has a job to do, and he signed up for it.

Again, I realize it sounds harsh. Not afraid to be the blunt, bad guy here.

Milwaukee

Banned
Thought about that as well, Jacket. I'm sure he's pissed off about it. And it probably pisses him off worse that some are saying "well what do you expect, from HIM?"

Signing off on the subject.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Btw, that last kick was missing left (hook) whether it made it past the LOS or not. Whatever, football is a team game. There is tons of blame to go around. As I said, there was about a hundred paths to victory at the start of Q4 and only one to defeat. There was a confluence of events that lost us the game, not just one thing.