Re the field goal

jacket_fan

Ramblin' Wreck
Milwaukee, I have to agree with you. I cannot recall a poorer performance at placekicking than I did on Monday night. I feel for the kid. However,

Johnson did not fill the placekicker position until Butker. Something I complained about in the East Upper deck until he did. It appears he failed to do so again.

dressedcheeseside, I agree with you, I cannot understand why Tech cannot get a quality kicker on scholarship. Time to open up the position to any takers on campus to give it a try.

This game was lost on special teams, specifically the kicker. This must be remedied, or it is going to be a long season.

Jmonty71

Banned
He is getting off too easy imo. Yes, he's a walk on. Yes, he's a student athlete. But damn, you have a job to do whether you're a Sr or a walk on. I don't mean to sound like I'm coming down on the kid but someone should, and I imagine PJ is. I highly doubt PJ went to his office and said "well hell, you can't expect him to make those kicks. He's only a walk on."

PJ needs to light him up, let him know how important he can be, and then move on with him and support him. He will surely to God improve and we need him to, but damn he's getting off way too easy when he should've won the ballgame. Those kicks were embarrassing, and he'll probably say the same.

I'm behind the kid going forward, hope he turns out to be a good redemption story.
I agree.... I'm sure there are hundreds of other kickers willing to do the job. One thing I've learn over time.. If you don't or can't do your job, there is always someone else that can. That is true in business, life, work and sports.

Milwaukee, I have to agree with you. I cannot recall a poorer performance at placekicking than I did on Monday night. I feel for the kid. However,

Johnson did not fill the placekicker position until Butker. Something I complained about in the East Upper deck until he did. It appears he failed to do so again.

dressedcheeseside, I agree with you, I cannot understand why Tech cannot get a quality kicker on scholarship. Time to open up the position to any takers on campus to give it a try.

This game was lost on special teams, specifically the kicker. This must be remedied, or it is going to be a long season.
We have a kicker (Brenton King), who has been out with a groin injury. He will be back Saturday. He is supposedly as good as, if not better than, Bulovas, who committed to Tech and then flipped to Bama, where he is now a grey shirt, meaning he is not only no kicking, but is not currently even on scholarship. Hopefully King will live up to his billing.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
King may end up a reliable kicker. I think that's likely. He ain't no Bulovas tho and probably won't develop into that high a caliber kicker. I'd love to be proven wrong.

King may end up a reliable kicker. I think that's likely. He ain't no Bulovas tho and probably won't develop into that high a caliber kicker. I'd love to be proven wrong.
He supposedly outshone Bulovas at a couple of camps they both went to at the same time. But Bulovas should be kicking himself in the butt for flipping from a guaranteed scholarship and probable starting job immediately to a non-playing grey shirt at Bama. And from what I gather, a grey shirt is not on scholarship.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
We have a kicker (Brenton King), who has been out with a groin injury. He will be back Saturday. He is supposedly as good as, if not better than, Bulovas, who committed to Tech and then flipped to Bama, where he is now a grey shirt, meaning he is not only no kicking, but is not currently even on scholarship. Hopefully King will live up to his billing.

A grey shirt is when you aren't even on the team and they promise you a spot for the following season with a scholarship, so you enroll in January. This kid is a walk-on.

I don't really care who kicks, but I really hope I never see a kicking performance like Monday night again in my life.

Eli

Helluva Engineer
M,
I hope you are kidding.The guy is PAYING HIS OWN WAY--we should not expect more.btw-I noticed that the Pitt kicker missed 2 shortish ones this wk.

Walk ons are part of the team too. It's not like we're asking the kid to hit 50 yarders but a 35 yard field goal....most high school kids can hit that

okiemon

Helluva Engineer

Bulovas was a 3*, ranked as the #1 or #2 kicker in the country, depending on the recruiting service. King was a 2* and unranked.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
Do we need to start a new thread for Brenton King injury news? I know that some follow recruiting more than others but at this point I would hope everyone knows who our kickers are. We HAVE a scholarship kicker. He will probably play Saturday. Regardless, some of you are judging Davis' performance in a vacuum. I'm pretty sure none of us (even former players who post one here) can understand the pressure a K feels with the game on the line, much less in front of 80k, much less when you didn't think you'd be playing over the scholarship kid, much less in your FIRST GAME EVER. We didn't lose that game because of the kicker.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I miss Butker.

Davis has to be better than King (right now) at kick-offs and FGs or CPJ wouldn't start Davis in wither phase.

Truly depressing that our special teams has become special needs again. We will lose another few games against quality opponents this year if the kicking game (not punting which is much better) doesn't get a lot better. I used to rate each special team play a few years ago; no need to be a masochist so I don't anymore.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
.......We didn't lose that game because of the kicker.

True, but we didn't win the game because of the Davis with his bad kick on the first FG attempt, low kick on the second FG attempt and lousy distance and height on KOs. But he's the best we have.*

*"Georgia Tech is where your best isn't good enough since 1888." is a one liner I heard from a recent GT grad after the game. Seems appropriate.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
According to CPJ Davis has done well in practice. Remember that Butker didn't have the smoothest start to his career either (granted he could boot a kickoff). Imagine having, literally, millions of eyes on you in your first ever college game. Don't think we need this kid right now to be totally honest.
Actually as a freshman Butker very often was not end zone-deep on his kickoffs. Surprised everybody but they were snagging his kicks at the five or so.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
I miss Butker.

Davis has to be better than King (right now) at kick-offs and FGs or CPJ wouldn't start Davis in wither phase.

Truly depressing that our special teams has become special needs again. We will lose another few games against quality opponents this year if the kicking game (not punting which is much better) doesn't get a lot better. I used to rate each special team play a few years ago; no need to be a masochist so I don't anymore.
King has been hurt. That's why Davis got the nod over him.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer

Before we stand this kid against the wall, lighten up. There are so many moving parts to a FG or XP that some coach is going to have to break down the tape on both kicks and see who broke down and where, and how much blame rests with the kicker or holder and how much with the O line, or for that matter the snap. Butker missed a bunch, too, you know. We remember Georgia and a couple of others but if we check out his freshman and sophomore stats, and even his career stats of efforts over 40, we might be surprised. Beating Georgia washes a lot of sins away and blurs memories. He was a great kicker at the end but I recall similar queries about him and a "wasted" scholarship early on.

GTHOSCHTON

Jolly Good Fellow
the sky is falling!!!!! run run the sky is falling!!!! Christ the kid missed a FG from 47....tried to KILL IT ever done that with a golf shot same results ....got an end of the game filed goal blocked after two consecutive TO.....Quote: Michael Jordan on Success Through Failure. I've missed more than 9,000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. Twenty six times I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed.
The most impressive thing about the end of the game was we got in FG range how many times has that not happened???

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
King has been hurt. That's why Davis got the nod over him.

Yes and no. I think CPJ said that King has been back at practice for a while (though he was slowed by an injury previously). I believe CPJ also said that "the other guy" (King) has not been any better than Davis in practice this week. Hopefully the competition will get one of them to rise to the top, but I am not expecting King to immediately step in this week and be Butker 2.0 from the start.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Before we stand this kid against the wall, lighten up. There are so many moving parts to a FG or XP that some coach is going to have to break down the tape on both kicks and see who broke down and where, and how much blame rests with the kicker or holder and how much with the O line, or for that matter the snap. Butker missed a bunch, too, you know. We remember Georgia and a couple of others but if we check out his freshman and sophomore stats, and even his career stats of efforts over 40, we might be surprised. Beating Georgia washes a lot of sins away and blurs memories. He was a great kicker at the end but I recall similar queries about him and a "wasted" scholarship early on.

Oh I get it...he may turn out to be fine, but dude, the question is how do we come into a game so under prepared. You shouldn't just wait until the end of your kicker's career to fill the position. You should be recruiting and developing talent just like you do everywhere else so that when the kid graduates you've got someone waiting behind him that's ready to go. This happens every time we change kickers and it drives my crazy. I just don't understand why we treat this position different than every other position on the field?