NDame
SCuse
NCState
Pitt
Clem
VT
WF
BC

However, I only think GT NCSt have the potential of being available.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
i won't rank them 1-15, it really doesn't work like that, I will rank into tiers. My tiers are based on past performance (easier to sell a coach on a school with past success), facilities, location and to a lesser extent current situation
Tier 1
UNC - 46 NCAA tourneys, 17 Final Fours, 5 NC, last appearance and win 2015, Last Sweet Sixteen 2015, huge fanbase, huge alumni base (both students and basketball players), basketball state.
Duke -39 NCAA Tourneys, 16 Final Fours, 5 NC, last appearance and win 2015, Last SS 2015 smaller fanbase, but super history, basketball school, draws well from NE
L'ville - 41 NCAA Tourneys, 10 Final Fours, 3 NC, last appearance and win 2015, Last SS 2015, big fanbase, basketball state, strong history

Tier 2
Syracuse - 33 NCAA, 5 FF, 1 NC, last appearance and win 2014, Last SS 2013, big fanbase, basketball state - has access to NYC - though that isn't as much talent as 20 yrs ago. Location in upstate NY may not be as strong as some areas
NCST - 24 NCAA, 3 FF, 2 NC, last appearance and win 2015, Last SS 2015, big school, basketball state, sometimes suffers in the shadows of UNC and Duke.
UVA - 19 NCAA, 2 FF, 0 NC, last appearance and win 2015, Last SS 2014, large state school, strong recruiting base in VA/DC. Has a great coach right now who is maximizing UVa's potential
ND - 34 NCAA, 1 FF, 0 NC, last appearance and win 2015, Last SS 2015, big name and following (I know more for football). Access to NYC market. school has lots of money
GT - 16 NCAA, 2 FF, 0 NC, last appearance and win 2010, last SS 2004, smaller base, but great location for recruiting, tough academics
Pitt - 25 NCAA, 1 FF, 0 NC, last appearance and win 2014, last SS 2009, big school, good local for recruiting in Western PA/eastern Ohio and Mich

Tier 3
Wake - 22 NCAA, 1 FF, 0 NC, last appearance and win 2010, last SS 2004, small private school in less populated area of NC. Tough academics
FSU - 14 NCAA, 1 FF, 0 NC, last appearance and win 2012, last SS 2011, large state school, in a less populated area of state, FB crazy school
BC - 18 NCAA, 0 FF, 0 NC, last appearance and win 2009/2007, last SS 2006, private school, solid recruiting location, tough academics
Miami - 7 NCAA, 0 FF, 0 NC, last appearance and win 2013, last SS 2013, private school, good recruiting ground, lack of support at a FB school, not much history, has a great coach right now though which you could argue puts it in tier 2

Tier 4
Clemson - 10 NCAA, 0 FF, 0 NC, last appearance and win 2011, last SS 1980, big school, not a great recruiting area, not much history, tends to have lesser facilities, FB school
VT - 8 NCAA, 0 FF, 0 NC, last appearance and win 2007, last SS 1967, large school but in remote part of state, easy academics, little history, very good coach right now.

The ACC has 3 true blue bloods imo, after that you have a group of maybe 6 schools and you can argue a few of them should be higher than others. At the end of the day the greatest determinant of success is hiring a great coach.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Duke (just because everyone should want to see Ratface gone)
unc
LOLvl
nd (but not because of basketball)
Cuse
Clemson
uva
nc state
FSU
d'oh U
Pitt
GT
vpi
wake
BC

I think most coaches don't want to worry about recruiting to GT's academic restrictions.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
In general:
Duke
UNC
Lville
GT (should be this high anyway)
UVA
FSU
NDame
SCuse
NCState
Pitt
Clem
VT
WF
BC

However, I only think GT NCSt have the potential of being available.
FSU and ND... that hurts @kg01, that hurts... I thought we were cooler than that ;)

I think GT can/should be top 6 or 7 but it's hard to justify right now.

Crazy seeing BC at #15. Let me recruit the NE and live in Boston any day of the week over the likes of Clem and VT.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
FSU and ND... that hurts @kg01, that hurts... I thought we were cooler than that ;)

I think GT can/should be top 6 or 7 but it's hard to justify right now.

Crazy seeing BC at #15. Let me recruit the NE and live in Boston any day of the week over the likes of Clem and VT.

You didn't say "attractiveness to coaches who live/look to live in New England."

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
GT ranging from #4 to #11 so far.

I wonder if there's as much variability in opinion by the actual coaching market, ya know, if that's something that ever becomes important.

Hopefully more folks chime in.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
You didn't say "attractiveness to coaches who live/look to live in New England."
Fair, just offering a personal opinion. For me VT is dead last and it's non-negotiable. Hopefully the VT administration understands this and knows I'm off the table during their next coaching search.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Yeah, VT should be last or near last. BC is being run into the ground though. That's gonna be a hard turnaround.

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
1. Duke
2. UNC
3. Louisville
4. Syracuse
5. Pitt
6. NCst
7. GT
8. UVA
9. ND

10-14 are roughly the same in my opinion. Varies greatly depending on the coach at the time.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Fair, just offering a personal opinion. For me VT is dead last and it's non-negotiable. Hopefully the VT administration understands this and knows I'm off the table during their next coaching search.
To me Clemson and VT are so easy to see as the bottom 2 - there is little argument to put them higher, and frankly Wake may not be much above them. BC is down here because their school doesn't value basketball or put money into it. It is probably the #3 sport at BC behind Hockey and Football.
if you remove current coaching from it and look at it just from a resources, recruiting, history standpoint GT should be in the 6-7 area that you mention Cuse.

The top 3 imo are so easy and so separated there really isn't any debate there.
Cuse has pretty strong history incl a NC, but i wonder how it's placement in upstate NY and the general reduction in talent in the NY area will affect it long term. Pitt suffers from some of the same potential demographic issues.

UVA was a consistent underachiever imo until Bennett was hired. With Gard getting the job at WI, UVA may be set up to be the most consistent winner over the next 2 decades.
NCST is probably the hardest to peg. You can put some huge positives on them, but they also tend to suffer from little brother syndrome with UNC and Duke. Some coaches won't like that, others will see pass it.

Connor

Georgia Tech Fan
It is tough- I would put Cuse in the bottom of the top tier. Coming from Upstate NY, Syracuse has a huge following and does not have any competition in the market. Not many places can pack their arena like Cuse does- people pay to just be at the game and cannot even see it. A coach would be silly to pass up its environment.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
NCST is probably the hardest to peg. You can put some huge positives on them, but they also tend to suffer from little brother syndrome with UNC and Duke. Some coaches won't like that, others will see pass it.
My NC State friends here in NC definitely have an inferiority complex relative UNC and Duke. When Brandon Ingram was being courted last year, UNC was under investigation by the NCAA, but NC State could not make inroads with Ingram. He focused like a laser on Duke. That could be the supporting cast at Duke or the coaching, but I don't think he really ever considered State.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Duke (just because everyone should want to see Ratface gone)
unc
LOLvl
nd (but not because of basketball)
Cuse
Clemson
uva
nc state
FSU
d'oh U
Pitt
GT
vpi
wake
BC

I think most coaches don't want to worry about recruiting to GT's academic restrictions.
I agree with identifying tiers.

Fwiw, here's my logic:
Tier 1: Duke, UNC, LOLvl, nd, Cuse. Solid Programs with large, reliable, committed fan base. For this reason, they recruit themselves beyond just ACC.

Tier 2: cu, uva, nc st, fsu, d'oh U. Decent size fanbase, periods of relevance in ACC and/or recruiting advantages for location; no major impediments to recruiting. A good coach could see breaking through on recruiting and building a program.

Tier 3: Pitt, GT, vpi, WF, BC. Smaller fanbases/less recent relevance in ACC and/or extra recruiting impediments for location or academics.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
for me

duke, unc, cuse, louisville top 4

next tier
ND, UVA, GT, NC State, Pitt, Wake (wake has fallen off but is a far better job/program than it feels today)

tier 3
clemson, BC, FSU, VPI, Miami