Rank Your Excitement for 2022

On a scale of 1-10, how excited are you for this season of Tech football?

Votes: 31 14.0%

Votes: 27 12.2%

Votes: 40 18.1%

Votes: 16 7.2%

Votes: 15 6.8%

Votes: 21 9.5%

Votes: 21 9.5%

Votes: 10 4.5%

Votes: 4 1.8%

Votes: 36 16.3%

• Total voters

CEB

Helluva Engineer
It is pointless because using Ticket Sales for your argument isn’t relative. Ticket Sales at Tech is driven by W/L not how much the fans love the coach. Always has been.
But I think we also just learned that maybe ticket sales also have an effect on wins and losses. Coaching definitely has an effect on wins and losses and wins and losses logically effect ticket sales so it can be surmised that coaching effects ticket sales but do ticket sales affect coaching?
I bet there was a post for that too but I missed it. It’s like a choose your own adventure book at this point... “If you believe coaching is responsible for ticket sales, go to ‘Rank Your excitement’ page two. If not, go to ‘Big Ten Expansion’ page five.”

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
ddf5986feb8fa1224b699e680825f41a.jpg

But I am trying

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
What is there to be excited about? This team is worse than last year’s with a more difficult schedule.
But no one knows that. We can speculate that they appear worse on paper, but college football is too unpredictable to know what will happen. Let me do some speculation:

Jeff Sims puts it all together and has a great season. It's possible - he has the tools and experience under his belt. On top of that he has new coaches who promise to be a big improvement.
The O-line makes a big stride forward. Transfers blossom, and also some guys we've had here for a couple of years come into their own. Brent Key finds the key to making it all click, with help from Chip Long.
We have the talent at receiver and running back in place to make use of an improved O-line, and the offense sparkles.

Keion White terrorizes opposing QB's and they have to double-team him, which gives a boost to the whole DL.
Our new DB coach makes a difference like night and day and the D-backfield is greatly augmented by a fierce pass rush.
Linebackers play better as well, boosted by improvements elsewhere on the defense.
Collins lives up to his past DC reputation and teaches Thacker some new tricks. The defense is greatly improved over last season.

All that may not be likely, but it is all possible. We have more talent on this team than most are giving credit for IMO. All I'm saying is, this is college football and it's unpredictable. No one can say with any certainty what will happen, but every bit of this is within the realm of possibility. And we don't know what will happen until toe meets leather on September 5.

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
Ticket sales have ZERO to do with W/L. Go to the West Stands and do a count of how many long-time (and generous) ticket holders are renewing. Each one of those tickets is not just ticket sales, it's also a $500 A-T donation. And many of those who did not renew, are not real happy with Money-Down and a lot of the other BS that Geoff has brought.

I know season ticket holders of 40 years plus (I was one of them) who are not happy with the product being put on the field. They weren't happy at times before, but they did renew. They aren't renewing now.

I think THAT is one of TStan's great miscalculations. He thought by appealing to a new generation of fans, he could expand the base. The reality was, that the new generation don't contribute at the same levels as the old generation. So, in effect, he's replacing revenue of $2000/yr with revenue of $200/yr (and that's not an exaggeration).

I know a number of alumni who have just said, "This ... is not for me." And they will watch from Sea Island, or Cashiers, or elsewhere.
Explain the 2015 Season Opener attendance vs the 2014 one if W/L doesn’t matter. W/L ABSOLUTELY drives ticket sales for programs that aren’t known for ravishing fan support. Look at Wake Forrest last year, or the contrast when Miami is good/bad. I’m aware That You have a handful of examples but that doesn’t prove relative. I’m confused at what time period Tech has had good attendance with a bad team cause it has not happened in my life time.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Explain the 2015 Season Opener attendance vs the 2014 one if W/L doesn’t matter. W/L ABSOLUTELY drives ticket sales for programs that aren’t known for ravishing fan support. Look at Wake Forrest last year, or the contrast when Miami is good/bad. I’m aware That You have a handful of examples but that doesn’t prove relative. I’m confused at what time period Tech has had good attendance with a bad team cause it has not happened in my life time.
Good luck with your theory.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
No data but personal opinion and small talk made with a handful of STH VS. Numerous examples of Techs attendance after/during winning seasons compiled with other examples from Teams across the country.
No data.

“I often say that when you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it; but when you cannot measure it, when you cannot express it in numbers, your knowledge is of a meagre and unsatisfactory kind.” - Lord Kelvin

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer
No data.

“I often say that when you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it; but when you cannot measure it, when you cannot express it in numbers, your knowledge is of a meagre and unsatisfactory kind.” - Lord Kelvin
Up-voted for no other reason than that you quoted Lord Kelvin.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
No data.

From the article:
1. Sustained winning is important. The driving force behind big ticket sales is generally a compelling and successful team. Between 2008 and 2010 the average NCAA stadium was filled to 79.95% capacity – about 44,000 fans. However, teams that had winning seasons in that same time period drew crowds of around 53,000 (88.19%) – an 8% jump in attendance.

Teams that were coming off winning seasons – regardless of whether or not they maintained their winning ways – actually sold more tickets (89.03% of capacity) than their winning predecessors. This same difference is carried on, and exacerbated, to the upper echelons of success – teams with 90% or better winning percentages. It’s very hard to win 90% of your games, and fan bases reward that with home games for those teams averaging almost 63,000 fans (97.38%). But the reward is even greater the following season. Despite seeing their winning percentages drop, on average, to a more reasonable 73%, teams coming off huge years actually sold more tickets than they did in the middle of their success, coming extremely close – 99.98% – to selling out across the board.

Not surprisingly, losing has a similar effect on fan support. Teams that dropped below .500 played in front of crowds that weren’t even ¾ full, with an average stadium being filled to 70.5% capacity. The negative publicity that comes with losing continued to hurt teams the next year. Despite averaging win% hikes of 8%, teams coming off a losing season saw their attendance numbers drop to 69.7%. The lesson here is twofold: 1. winning helps as much as losing hurts; and 2. it usually takes a year for positive results on the field to be reflected with positive results in the stands."

Frankly the idea that attendance has nothing to do with winning seems absurd, IMO.

Last edited:

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer

From the article:
1. Sustained winning is important. The driving force behind big ticket sales is generally a compelling and successful team. Between 2008 and 2010 the average NCAA stadium was filled to 79.95% capacity – about 44,000 fans. However, teams that had winning seasons in that same time period drew crowds of around 53,000 (88.19%) – an 8% jump in attendance.

Teams that were coming off winning seasons – regardless of whether or not they maintained their winning ways – actually sold more tickets (89.03% of capacity) than their winning predecessors. This same difference is carried on, and exacerbated, to the upper echelons of success – teams with 90% or better winning percentages. It’s very hard to win 90% of your games, and fan bases reward that with home games for those teams averaging almost 63,000 fans (97.38%). But the reward is even greater the following season. Despite seeing their winning percentages drop, on average, to a more reasonable 73%, teams coming off huge years actually sold more tickets than they did in the middle of their success, coming extremely close – 99.98% – to selling out across the board.

Not surprisingly, losing has a similar effect on fan support. Teams that dropped below .500 played in front of crowds that weren’t even ¾ full, with an average stadium being filled to 70.5% capacity. The negative publicity that comes with losing continued to hurt teams the next year. Despite averaging win% hikes of 8%, teams coming off a losing season saw their attendance numbers drop to 69.7%. The lesson here is twofold: 1. winning helps as much as losing hurts; and 2. it usually takes a year for positive results on the field to be reflected with positive results in the stands."

Frankly the idea that attendance has nothing to do with winning seems absurd, IMO.
Good! Check out the NCAA data as well.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, all of this may hold water in hindsight. Prior to 2014 though? Everyone thought we were doomed. Days and Laskey were like 3rd and 5th rushers returning. The others didn’t touch the ball a whole lot. Thomas obviously turned out to be a world beater…but at the moment, how’d you feel when Vad left? In the moment, would you have felt more hope if he had stayed? You could be right about Waller and Smelter, but that’s unfair to Bubba and EJ when they haven’t even had a chance on the Flats. We had just lost Travis Custis, along with another promising incoming freshman back? Autry? Along with several of the top leading tacklers from 2013, including Jabari who was ineligible I believe. I feel like a lot of those hits came back to back to back and we were like…now wtf are we supposed to do? I though 2014 was the 3-9 year and 2015 was gonna be sky’s the limit! I’m not saying we won’t be 3-9 again, but we COULD be way better. A lot of new variables.
I didn't think we'd do as well as we did, but I was mainly worried about D depth, not O. I figured that Thomas would work out quickly and that Lasky would rule (turned out he shared the throne). And while I wanted Autry to play for us, I wasn't too upset that he didn't; we had plenty of talent at all the positions he could've played. Overall, I thought we'd win 7 or 8, as usual. It took - as usual again - sheer dumb luck to get us to 11. That's what it normally takes for everybody except Bama.

And, yes, we could be better. But, with the giant coaching turnover, I doubt it. Changes that drastic usually take a season or two to work out one way or the other. But … we'll see soon enough.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Ticket sales have ZERO to do with W/L. Go to the West Stands and do a count of how many long-time (and generous) ticket holders are renewing. Each one of those tickets is not just ticket sales, it's also a $500 A-T donation. And many of those who did not renew, are not real happy with Money-Down and a lot of the other BS that Geoff has brought.

I know season ticket holders of 40 years plus (I was one of them) who are not happy with the product being put on the field. They weren't happy at times before, but they did renew. They aren't renewing now.

I think THAT is one of TStan's great miscalculations. He thought by appealing to a new generation of fans, he could expand the base. The reality was, that the new generation don't contribute at the same levels as the old generation. So, in effect, he's replacing revenue of $2000/yr with revenue of $200/yr (and that's not an exaggeration).

I know a number of alumni who have just said, "This ... is not for me." And they will watch from Sea Island, or Cashiers, or elsewhere.
v - your statement of empty seats in the west stands due to non renewals does not match my count.

We sit on the 40 row 16 - great seats but not on isle. We were given a time to go on line and i look for vacant seats. Between the 30s i did not see much open.

Now game attendance is another thing - the area around me on the 40 is pretty open - and a lot of those attending are friends or the seat holder. It was pretty open at the end of CPJ as well but it was the seat holder.
To me the a real issue is the the alumni (mainly the east stands behind the opponents bench that sell their tickets to the other teams. Not an easy way to shade that one to a top recruit or to our players.

At BDS we just love the great sight lines and the proximity to the GT players. For many years my company had season tickets to the Houston Oiler and Titans that cost multiples of the GT tickets and you are so far from the field you cant see any details.. I watched as Collins blew his top at Thacker last year. Saw CPJ holler at Parker Braun and PB just ran by to the ol seats. BDS with some good binoculars is great.

Where do you sit?

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Dear Missouri... get off your *** and go to ncaa.com. You can do that, can't you?
I can think of somewhere for you to go, too. I'm not going to do a detailed, exhaustive analysis of W/L records and winning just for your benefit, because the analysis has already been done and referred to above. You may read it if you like, or as I suspect, you will discard it since it disproves your absurd argument. You don't have a leg to stand on. If you did, you'd trot out the evidence.

Here's a graph for you to study. The data is taken from NCAA statistics:

1660254062143.png

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I can think of somewhere for you to go, too. I'm not going to do a detailed, exhaustive analysis of W/L records and winning just for your benefit, because the analysis has already been done and referred to above. You may read it if you like, or as I suspect, you will discard it since it disproves your absurd argument. You don't have a leg to stand on. If you did, you'd trot out the evidence.

Here's a graph for you to study. The data is taken from NCAA statistics:

View attachment 12798
Do as you like. Or not.

Lotta Booze

Ramblin' Wreck
Ticket sales have ZERO to do with W/L. .....
.....I know season ticket holders of 40 years plus (I was one of them) who are not happy with the product being put on the field. They weren't happy at times before, but they did renew. They aren't renewing now.
Isn't having a good "product being put on the field" correlated with wins and losses?

So if all other constraints (Head coach) remain the same and there is a better product put on the field (reflected in wins and losses) they are more likely to renew and that would affect ticket sales, no?

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Isn't having a good "product being put on the field" correlated with wins and losses?
Is it? Create a schedule that includes Gardner-Webb, Alcorn State, South Alabama, Arkansas State, etc. .... and see how many fans show up or contribute?

The data shows it is NOT wins that count, but wins against competitive opponents. A win against Auburn (6-7 last year) counts FAR more than a win against Alcorn State. But do as you like, and if the results are what you want them to be, revisit the approach. Standard engineering thinking.

gtie73

Ramblin' Wreck
v - your statement of empty seats in the west stands due to non renewals does not match my count.

We sit on the 40 row 16 - great seats but not on isle. We were given a time to go on line and i look for vacant seats. Between the 30s i did not see much open.

Now game attendance is another thing - the area around me on the 40 is pretty open - and a lot of those attending are friends or the seat holder. It was pretty open at the end of CPJ as well but it was the seat holder.
To me the a real issue is the the alumni (mainly the east stands behind the opponents bench that sell their tickets to the other teams. Not an easy way to shade that one to a top recruit or to our players.

At BDS we just love the great sight lines and the proximity to the GT players. For many years my company had season tickets to the Houston Oiler and Titans that cost multiples of the GT tickets and you are so far from the field you cant see any details.. I watched as Collins blew his top at Thacker last year. Saw CPJ holler at Parker Braun and PB just ran by to the ol seats. BDS with some good binoculars is great.

Where do you sit?
Guess I’m one of the fools who renewed in 105. Looking forward to the new season