Rank Your Excitement for 2022

On a scale of 1-10, how excited are you for this season of Tech football?

Votes: 31 14.0%

Votes: 27 12.2%

Votes: 40 18.1%

Votes: 16 7.2%

Votes: 15 6.8%

Votes: 21 9.5%

Votes: 21 9.5%

Votes: 10 4.5%

Votes: 4 1.8%

Votes: 36 16.3%

• Total voters

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Honestly, I don't care if we win 8 games. Geoff has lost the fanbase and it's time to move on. No offense to Geoff. We all realize it was the Greatest Transformation in the History of Earth. But let's just get back to good football. He wasn't the guy and he can enjoy his millions. I just want to get back to a respectable football team.
A whole lot of Truth in that Geoff has lost a lot of the fan base.

Had a fellow Georgia Tech graduate earlier this week. He stopped me,as I was wearing my Georgia Tech hat, and ask me what I thought about the coaching of the football team the last few years. I told him it feels as if we were told that they'd gotten a great growing compound that made things better than ever before, but come to find out it was just a bag of as sh1t, that has stunk since game 1 against Citdal, but we all have to hope that it finally composts and turned into something good. He agreed wholeheartedly, but we both agree the we still support the team And continue to get season tickets.

crl85

Jolly Good Fellow
A whole lot of Truth in that Geoff has lost a lot of the fan base.

Had a fellow Georgia Tech graduate earlier this week. He stopped me,as I was wearing my Georgia Tech hat, and ask me what I thought about the coaching of the football team the last few years. I told him it feels as if we were told that they'd gotten a great growing compound that made things better than ever before, but come to find out it was just a bag of as sh1t, that has stunk since game 1 against Citdal, but we all have to hope that it finally composts and turned into something good. He agreed wholeheartedly, but we both agree the we still support the team And continue to get season tickets.
This is inaccurate.

He didn’t “lose” the fan base. The fans didn’t show up in 2018, 2019, 2020 or 2021.

He certainly hasn’t helped bring new fans to the stadium with his 3-win seasons. That’s for sure. But he never had the fans to lose.

MonroeJacket

GT Athlete
Honestly, I don't care if we win 8 games. Geoff has lost the fanbase and it's time to move on. No offense to Geoff. We all realize it was the Greatest Transformation in the History of Earth. But let's just get back to good football. He wasn't the guy and he can enjoy his millions. I just want to get back to a respectable football team.
Shocker. So, let me get this straight. If we win 8+ this year…you’d still wanna move on?

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
This is inaccurate.

He didn’t “lose” the fan base. The fans didn’t show up in 2018, 2019, 2020 or 2021.

He certainly hasn’t helped bring new fans to the stadium with his 3-win seasons. That’s for sure. But he never had the fans to lose.
While related, not the same as "fans didn't show up ..." JMO

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Shocker. So, let me get this straight. If we win 8+ this year…you’d still wanna move on?
Yes. You are under the impression that ONLY wins matter. Do you want to play in an empty stadium? With smaller donations? Fewer fans? If so, schedule easier opponents, get the wins and watch the program suffocate. No one gives a **** if GT beats Alcorn State.

MonroeJacket

GT Athlete
We don't have Justin Thomas, Waller, Smelter, Days/Lasky, or the hoard of A-backs either. Any of the four starters in the 2014 backfield (Thomas, Days, Perkins, or Andrews) would, imho, beat out the O starters at their positions we will field this year. And, yes, that includes Sims. And, of course, there's no comparison between our WR prospects and Smelter/Waller. The pre-season ratings for the 2014 team were a product of nobody having seen Thomas, losses on the D side, and the perennial underrating Paul's teams got. That was probably the most talented Tech team since 1998.

I rated a 2. I have no gives left. Hope I'm wrong and you're right, of course.
Yeah, all of this may hold water in hindsight. Prior to 2014 though? Everyone thought we were doomed. Days and Laskey were like 3rd and 5th rushers returning. The others didn’t touch the ball a whole lot. Thomas obviously turned out to be a world beater…but at the moment, how’d you feel when Vad left? In the moment, would you have felt more hope if he had stayed? You could be right about Waller and Smelter, but that’s unfair to Bubba and EJ when they haven’t even had a chance on the Flats. We had just lost Travis Custis, along with another promising incoming freshman back? Autry? Along with several of the top leading tacklers from 2013, including Jabari who was ineligible I believe. I feel like a lot of those hits came back to back to back and we were like…now wtf are we supposed to do? I though 2014 was the 3-9 year and 2015 was gonna be sky’s the limit! I’m not saying we won’t be 3-9 again, but we COULD be way better. A lot of new variables.

MonroeJacket

GT Athlete
Yes. You are under the impression that ONLY wins matter. Do you want to play in an empty stadium? With smaller donations? Fewer fans? If so, schedule easier opponents, get the wins and watch the program suffocate. No one gives a **** if GT beats Alcorn State.
Sh*t, I wish we had scheduled them. You’re not under the impression that wins don’t translate to more support?

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
Wanted to select 10 (because GT Football)!

But predicting bad season based on schedule, roster, and Geoff hasn't proven he can win close games, so 8 (because GT Football!).

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I'm dialed in at 11....

spinal tap GIF

GTBlaze

Banned
For me, this has to be one of the least exciting lead-ups to a season of Tech football I've ever had. I want to gauge how everyone else is feeling. It all just feels....bleak. I know we have a lot of change and anything can happen, but damn it I'm having a hard time getting hyped up at all. This is the first time this has ever happened to me in 20+ years of being a Tech fan. So, let's hear it!
I honestly don’t think it’s a TECH thing. College football is so screwed up with the NIL, conference alignments, transfer portal, horrible schedules.

College football is just ruined for me

Not to mention all of the crazy crap happening in the country outside of football.

My job has become so incredibly difficult because of product shortages / delays that I have just been physically and emotionally exhausted to even care about this upcoming football season. The world we are currently living in kind of sucks (for me) at the moment

GT33

Helluva Engineer
This is inaccurate.

We lost season ticket holders in a year when we changed our HC, it's a pretty hard thing to do I think. I don't follow other programs like that, but you'd think a new regime would bring an uptick in interest.

My personal malaise over the upcoming football season is partially due to not wanting to see any more ineptitude on the sidelines, but also the fact that many of my friends have just turned their back on the program. Covid gave some an excuse to avoid admitting they're getting too old to travel and/or our teenage antics are no longer as fun as they used to be, others a convenient excuse not to support the current regime. Some went downright hostile at the change due to real or perceived slights, disrespect of our former & returning student athletes coupled with the childishness dominating the media and seemingly the lack of a businesslike approach. We are a professional institute, not a glorified grammar school. It was unbecoming & when the results resembled the prevailing environment intentionally projected, it reinforced negative opinions. I hope this chages this season.

In any event regardless of how you view it, we lost long time fans & a large number. My friends committed to making their weekly pilgrammage to the Flats for fooball Saturdays has gone from a baseline of 100 in 1997, to 95 in 2002, to 90 in 2007, to 85 in 2012, to 80 in 2017, to 50 in 2019 to 25 in 2021 and now it's looking like 15. Yes, these are not exact numbers I have personally counted but they're fairly close guestimates. My group has dwindled and precipitously so. I believe 97 to 2017 just reflected what happens to people when they age, health deteriorates or they gain professional responsibilities that get in the way of old time activities & escapades.

I've been fortunate to upgrade season tickets twice the past 3 years with all the defections, but my original section was damn near barren last season. I go by to visit the stalwarts damn near every game, used to be I knew everybody within a couple rows up/down and about 10 seats left/right. I think out of those roughly 60 seat ticket holders I got to know over the years, there was about 10 left last year. I keep in touch with several & a couple more are bailing. Maybe it's still Covid, but I think that's just an excuse. It's not like the section was full or even half full.

I'm sure I'm not the only one that's experiencing what I'm experiencing. I'll still be there, all game every game. I just wish somehow, some day we'll regain what we've lost in the last 3 years.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
If he wins 8 is be happy and happy for him, but it would feel more like about time you hit the average. I suspect though most would treat it as the second coming.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
most would treat it as the second coming.

I don't get that sense at all. The mood I get from most who post here is overwhelmingly the opposite. In fact, I get the sense that most have got their minds made up no matter what the season holds in store. I am not arguing either position is right or wrong, I am just commenting more on the different perceptions we have from reading the same material here.

I am a 10. When I am not excited before a new season it will be time to move on. I am willing to bet the players and coaches are as well.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I don't get that sense at all. The mood I get from most who post here is overwhelmingly the opposite. In fact, I get the sense that most have got their minds made up no matter what the season holds in store. I am not arguing either position is right or wrong, I am just commenting more on the different perceptions we have from reading the same material here.

I am a 10. When I am not excited before a new season it will be time to move on. I am willing to bet the players and coaches are as well.
I recall a survey that suggested that fans have two teams to pull for in the modern CFB game, based on their chances of winning the CFB title. By the end of September, all but about 8 teams already know they are out. So you pull for your team and for the next 2-3 months, you pull for your backup.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I recall a survey that suggested that fans have two teams to pull for in the modern CFB game, based on their chances of winning the CFB title. By the end of September, all but about 8 teams already know they are out. So you pull for your team and for the next 2-3 months, you pull for your backup.

As a GT fan, my expectations have been pretty much this over the decades...if the games we are playing in late October mean something (division championship, bowl game eligibility, etc.) then it's been a good season. When Tech's season is done for the most part, I really don't care who is left nor do I watch. I guess, at the end of the day, if I had gone to a small school such as Emory or Vermont or whereever I would not have an interest in the game.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I had gone to a small school such as Emory or Vermont or whereever I would not have an interest in the game.
I went to grad school at Emory. There is no interest in sports there whatsoever. Living in Auburn, even if you did not attend, you can't get away from it. Football (and other AU sports) are EVERYWHERE. Basketball just sold out and it's August. They haven't even announced public ticket sales yet.

Like you, I look forward to Tech contending again, but realistically, we will be 1-3 by end of September and just getting started with the bulk of the schedule.