Radio show

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
Look I know PJ is an off the cuff emotional guy, but you don't make those comments after a win if there aren't some pretty big problems. Can they be fixed? I hope so; big fan of PJ.

BC had great personel on defense, lined up a bunch of different ways, and crowded the ball. IMO that in conjunction with first game mistakes, being oversees and playing at a weird time got us out of sorts.

Obviously we didnt play like we practiced and that's disappointing. CPJ coaches the offense so he is particularly flustered.

If we practice hard and grow like we did in 2014 we'll be fine. If not we wont. My money is on improvement. This team works hard and are fighters.

No pass rush is a big problem.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Last week, Mercer played the Citadel which runs basically our offence. After giving up a quick 21 (14 in 1st 2 min) in the early 1st quarter, they held them in check until the end of the fourth.

While we should win easily, they should give our O a good test for soundness.

GTJoeBrew

Helluva Engineer
People need to step back and realize that this was our first game. Not to mention it was overseas. The best CPJ teams have not looked great early in the year. This was one of our biggest early tests of his tenure. Only time will tell, but we are still very young and will hopefully get better with experience. Bring on the first home game!

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
BC had great personel on defense, lined up a bunch of different ways, and crowded the ball. IMO that in conjunction with first game mistakes, being oversees and playing at a weird time got us out of sorts.

Obviously we didnt play like we practiced and that's disappointing. CPJ coaches the offense so he is particularly flustered.

If we practice hard and grow like we did in 2014 we'll be fine. If not we wont. My money is on improvement. This team works hard and are fighters.

No pass rush is a big problem.
Part of the problem is we are practicing against a much slower and less physical defense that is not doing anything out of the ordinary. It gives you a false sense of security when you dominate your own guys who don't come close to matching what a BC can do. Instead of rising to the occasion, our guys got a little flustered which completely got them off their game and I think that's what disappointed coach the most, I think.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
How wide open was the passing game with the way BC was playing us? And how hard headed is Paul to keep running right into the teeth of their defense for 95% of the game? JT and the pass-pro were on point on that first scoring drive, imo we should have kept going to it until they adjusted to stop it

GTJoeBrew

Helluva Engineer
How wide open was the passing game with the way BC was playing us? And how hard headed is Paul to keep running right into the teeth of their defense for 95% of the game? JT and the pass-pro were on point on that first scoring drive, imo we should have kept going to it until they adjusted to stop it
I definitely agree with that. If they are stacking the box, we need to hurt them with our passing game. We have a ton of tools in the pass game. If we use them on first down every once in a while in stead of on 3rd and long, I think we force the D to back off the line.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I definitely agree with that. If they are stacking the box, we need to hurt them with our passing game. We have a ton of tools in the pass game. If we use them on first down every once in a while in stead of on 3rd and long, I think we force the D to back off the line.
I don't think we're fast enough to get open on a go or physical enough to break press. Just don't have the Jimmies. I hope Philpot heals up because he has the both of those aspects.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer

Wet conditions and trying to establish the run because that's what we do. These had more to do with it than anything, I believe.

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Part of the problem is we are practicing against a much slower and less physical defense that is not doing anything out of the ordinary. It gives you a false sense of security when you dominate your own guys who don't come close to matching what a BC can do. Instead of rising to the occasion, our guys got a little flustered which completely got them off their game and I think that's what disappointed coach the most, I think.

This observation from 'cheese occurred to me over the weekend too. Paul said something last night about the game reminding him of Notre Dame. We suddenly forgot how to play football. The big stage was the main issue at South Bend and playing the first road game on a slippery field in Ireland might account for part of what went wrong Saturday. But I think the shock of trying to run plays against faster and more skilled defenses than we see in practice is a big part of it.

txsting

Jolly Good Fellow
This observation from 'cheese occurred to me over the weekend too. Paul said something last night about the game reminding him of Notre Dame. We suddenly forgot how to play football. The big stage was the main issue at South Bend and playing the first road game on a slippery field in Ireland might account for part of what went wrong Saturday. But I think the shock of trying to run plays against faster and more skilled defenses than we see in practice is a big part of it.
Confidence is likely an issue too. Coach said we were hesitant. That i think is fixable.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
Listening to the radio show, it sounds like we didn't come close to playing to our potential, particularly on offense.

Coach promised a much more physical offense on Saturday. Sounded very determined to make it happen, and I'm looking forward to seeing it.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Listening to the radio show, it sounds like we didn't come close to playing to our potential, particularly on offense.

Coach promised a much more physical offense on Saturday. Sounded very determined to make it happen, and I'm looking forward to seeing it.

Certainly hope we play like we're more physical. Most of the guys playing for Mercer wouldn't break out of the scout team for GT. If we're getting physically beat by Mercer, we're in trouble...

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
I want as upset about the defense as some of you guys. The pass rush really wasn't that bad. Not a lot of sacks, but a lot of hurries. We forced that guy to run a lot.