Radio show

okiemon

Helluva Engineer
Listening to the radio show, it sounds like we didn't come close to playing to our potential, particularly on offense.

Coach promised a much more physical offense on Saturday. Sounded very determined to make it happen, and I'm looking forward to seeing it.

Let's hope that we work out many of the problems against Mercer. And even if we do, I'm sure Coach won't let it go to their heads. He'll just remind them that Alcorn State and Tulane didn't make us championship material last year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

redmule

Ramblin' Wreck
This observation from 'cheese occurred to me over the weekend too. Paul said something last night about the game reminding him of Notre Dame. We suddenly forgot how to play football. The big stage was the main issue at South Bend and playing the first road game on a slippery field in Ireland might account for part of what went wrong Saturday. But I think the shock of trying to run plays against faster and more skilled defenses than we see in practice is a big part of it.

"But I think the shock of trying to run plays against faster and more skilled defenses than we see in practice is a big part of it." THIS

Same for our defense seeing a 'traditional' offense run at speed the first time since last year. As they will now see it every Saturday, they should start to improve.

We're right where we are most years: Can the defense hold on until the TO becomes a meat grinder. Last year is what happens when the TO doesn't. Hopefully the offense will shift into a higher gear soon as there's lots more experience playing together at the skill positions than last year. If you have a QB, and we do, you always have hope. I predict we will move the ball much better on Clemson than we did on BC.

first&ten

Ramblin' Wreck
Seems like we have alot of reasons why Tech didn't look good or playgood against BC. Give BC credit, they had plenty of time time to practice for Tech, and at least for this game, they were our equal. We might want to consider that Tech, right now is just an average ACC team for what that's worth.

GTonTop88

Helluva Engineer
People need to step back and realize that this was our first game. Not to mention it was overseas. The best CPJ teams have not looked great early in the year. This was one of our biggest early tests of his tenure. Only time will tell, but we are still very young and will hopefully get better with experience. Bring on the first home game!
2014 we struggled against Wofford, Tulane, and GSU. So our ship hasn't sank, 1-0 is as good as you can be right now and Mercer will be a good game to get things cleaned up on offense, GSU will be one to get cleaned up on defense goin into the game against Clem

FightWinDrink

Helluva Engineer
2014 we struggled against Wofford, Tulane, and GSU. So our ship hasn't sank, 1-0 is as good as you can be right now and Mercer will be a good game to get things cleaned up on offense, GSU will be one to get cleaned up on defense goin into the game against Clem
We play Vandy before Clemson. GSU game is in October

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
I hope coach remembers down the road that he said we were gonna run double slants out of a 3 wide formation on the next play before Dedrick scored...some crafty coach might be clued in if we line up in trips on the goal line later on this season.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
If we think those kids don't already realize they could have played a lot better, we should just stop following the team. Players know. CPJ is just saying what they already know. When you are out there practicing every day on the field as a player, you know what you have and what you are capable of. When you walk off the field after crapping the bed, playing well below your ability level, you don't need to hear it from the coach in the locker room before it makes sense. I would be surprised if a single kid is offended or surprised by what CPJ is saying. He hasn't lost anybody. They worked hard in the off season because they listened to him in November and they are listening now. The absolute worst thing CPJ could have done was NOT make a stink. He would lose the team a heck of a lot faster that way. Players want to see passion from their coach. That is my experience anyway.

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
I definitely agree with that. If they are stacking the box, we need to hurt them with our passing game. We have a ton of tools in the pass game. If we use them on first down every once in a while in stead of on 3rd and long, I think we force the D to back off the line.
I think CPJ has established a real tendency over the years to pass either on first down or on the traditional 3rd and longs. I would prefer to see him break that tendency and pass on some 2nd downs or on some 2nd/3rd and shorts. He is known to go for it on 4th and 1-2, maybe even 3 depending on field position. Therefore, an incomplete pass on 2nd and 5 doesn't even force him to then throw on 3rd and 5.

This tendency I am describing of when he passes is what I find most puzzling about his play calling. It doesn't bother me when CPJ keeps running it in their teeth or sticking with the base offense, even if we think it is ineffective up in the stands. But I really think he has shown a tendency to pass on first . . . and when he does that even if incomplete he almost NEVER passes again on 2nd down (only doing so if short on time and trailing) . . . and then to pass on the traditional 3rd and long.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
I think CPJ has established a real tendency over the years to pass either on first down or on the traditional 3rd and longs. I would prefer to see him break that tendency and pass on some 2nd downs or on some 2nd/3rd and shorts. He is known to go for it on 4th and 1-2, maybe even 3 depending on field position. Therefore, an incomplete pass on 2nd and 5 doesn't even force him to then throw on 3rd and 5.

This tendency I am describing of when he passes is what I find most puzzling about his play calling. It doesn't bother me when CPJ keeps running it in their teeth or sticking with the base offense, even if we think it is ineffective up in the stands. But I really think he has shown a tendency to pass on first . . . and when he does that even if incomplete he almost NEVER passes again on 2nd down (only doing so if short on time and trailing) . . . and then to pass on the traditional 3rd and long.
My completely anecdotal (and probably observation bias affected) opinion has been we run a decent amount of pass plays on second and less than four. I've alway thought we were more willing to risk the incomplete on second and three than he on second and ten. I agree we don't seem to run pass plays on third and short, but I can just hear the belly aching already if we were to lose a game going play action on third and two.

I don't know if any of the CFB stats sties have pass/run with down and distance for all of our games. Wouldn't be too hard to get our tendencies if there is.

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
It is definitely anecdotal from me as well based on my observations/recollections. But I can't recall too many 2nd down passes other than 2nd and 10 sometimes. I can recall lots of smoke routes on first down, also wheels, and starting second halves with passes on first down over the years. If I think I have noticed a tendency it is a totally unscientific claim however and not something I would swear to.

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
CPJ has talked a lot about studying tendencies in film prep, not just of our opponents but also our own tendencies.
Yeah, he even says sometimes he will try and create a false "tendency" for future opponents to notice on film only because he plans on exploiting there prepping to the tendency by intentionally breaking it in that game. I don't doubt this and know I cannot dissect what he is up to to that level.

It is merely anecdotal on my part but I noticed during the broadcast that on several occasions I "knew" what CPJ would call based on familiarity. I was amused a couple times actually when the color guy would speculate on what CPJ would do in a particular situation and I would completely disagree with what the analyst predicted, and lo and behold, my call of the play was right and his was wrong. this is as close to armchair QBing/coaching I intend to get, so don't mind me.