Question, what makes a kid a 2,3,4,5 star

RiseUpATL

Banned
The stance of these high-horsers seems to be our players are kids who can’t be criticized for on the field play because it will hurt their feelings, but the other teams players can be called thugs, morons, and other personal insults all day long.

Man...you nailed this. I have lurked for a while and noticed that there are some on here and other boards where if you call out one of our players for poor performance specifically they berate you. Saying you can’t talk about our SAs fault and you shouldn’t berate our student athletes. But they are the first ones to state that another programs player is too dumb to go to GT. It’s real hypocritical.

Deleted member 2897

Man...you nailed this. I have lurked for a while and noticed that there are some on here and other boards where if you call out one of our players for poor performance specifically they berate you. Saying you can’t talk about our SAs fault and you shouldn’t berate our student athletes. But they are the first ones to state that another programs player is too dumb to go to GT. It’s real hypocritical.

Not to split hairs, but we’re the fans of GT, not the other programs.

Jacketman1

Ramblin' Wreck
So far you are all deflecting. How many kids at Tech would start for Clemson. Maybe all of them. Jerry Mays was probably a 2 star but he ripped apart the ACC. Nathan Cotrell is faster than every guy on the Clemson roster, but he was 3 star.....why.
None of them would start at Clemson except for Harvin and maybe Carpenter. Cottrell may be faster, but he's not close to better than any of those running backs.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
So I read all of you saying we have a bunch of 2 and 3 stars and Clemson has a bunch of 4 and 5 star players.

But I asked my son what is the difference. Now I can see the difference in a passing quarterback sure. But D Line Oline running back.

Case in point. Our running backs are bigger and a few are faster than Clemson. We have a 4.3 guy, they don't.

Their O line is not much bigger than our D guys and other than one D line guy, they are not bigger than our Oline.

Secondary is a toss up when it comes to size and speed.

TQM is not a passer but he is a much better runner than either of their QBs.

Serious question here.

Is it aggressiveness, strength.
If it is strength then we need new conditioning coach.

What is it.
I don't believe the gt posted weights .
Better question, how many Clemson players could graduate from Georgia Tech........none.

The RG for phs is being recruited by gt. He has moved to center after he committed to Clemson as that is where they plan for him to play.
His GPA is 3.9 and his ACT is 29.5.
We still might get him.

If there is one there are probably more and no he does not drive a tractor. The real issue with Clemson imo it is not the intellect of the players, it's the fake courses of study masquerading as a college degree where some hide out. Its borderline exploitation

RiseUpATL

Banned
Reagarding stars, GT recruits 2&3 Stars. Bama, UGA, OSU and Clemson (the current top 4 programs) recruit nothing but 4&5 star recruits. That’s about all you need to know,

Deleted member 2897

Reagarding stars, GT recruits 2&3 Stars. Bama, UGA, OSU and Clemson (the current top 4 programs) recruit nothing but 4&5 star recruits. That’s about all you need to know,

Well, Clemson’s current recruiting class has 0 5-stars and 12 3-stars.

RiseUpATL

Banned
Well, Clemson’s current recruiting class has 0 5-stars and 12 3-stars.

Fair enough. They’ll end up with their share though. They also have some really good coaches which is the other side of this. Stars are great but even then you need to coach them up. PJ used to be good at this, but the trend over the last 3 years is that the talent level has dropped and the ability to coach it up has also seemingly dropped. Not a good combo.

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
None of them would start at Clemson except for Harvin and maybe Carpenter. Cottrell may be faster, but he's not close to better than any of those running backs.
Just honestly curious.... How do you know Carpenter would? We have seen him play 2 games. Not counting special teams last season. (USF game he was ejected)

stech81

Helluva Engineer
In 2015 and 2016 Florida St had the number 3 and number 2 recruiting class. How's that working out for them now. 2015 USC had the number 1 class. 4 five stars. They are 1-2 at this point I believe. Tell me again about recruiting.
It's coaching. A coach is a teacher is they can't teach there are not much of a coach. It doesn't help that the coach knows what to do if he can get the point across to the player. Knowing something doesn't not make a coach. ( does sound familiar doesn't it )

Deleted member 2897

9 of the top 17 classes are currently in the SEC. Yet outside of 4 or 5 teams, the SEC proves to be year after year just another regular conference in football. There is absolutely a trend with recruiting rankings and player ability. But a lot more goes into it, such as discipline problems (if they exist or not, someone's personal drive to get better), coaching, and yes fluff. Some teams have top 10-15 recruiting rankings every year and don't even play 0.500 football. The key (IMHO) is getting those players who have a good head on their shoulders, fit your culture and scheme, and having good coaches on staff and resources to help make them successful.

RiseUpATL

Banned
In 2015 and 2016 Florida St had the number 3 and number 2 recruiting class. How's that working out for them now. 2015 USC had the number 1 class. 4 five stars. They are 1-2 at this point I believe. Tell me again about recruiting.

Again, coaching matters also properly filling needs. FSU has great skill players but they have neglected the OL. If FSU had a capable OL they would be much better right now. Coaching matters.

Look at UGA. For years their OL was a liability because Richt didn’t emphasize it enough. Kirby gets hired and what does he do? Fills it with 5 star guys, average 320 pounds AND hired the best OL coach in the business in Sam Pittman. Talent and coaching. That’s the head coaches job. That’s what has made David successful. Is Dabo a great X’s and O’s Guy? Nope. He was a WR coach before being thrust into the interim HC role. But you know Dabo has done? Hired great coaches and assistants while he focuses on running the organization. No different from Nick Saban. He constantly gets good coaches and if they are deficient or become a distraction he gets rid of them.

Which brings us to GT. We have a HC/OC. We have a HC trying to do two jobs. We have seen a talented and experienced OL not develop one iota and we have complained about Sewak for years but rather than fix the issue, PJ has allowed it continue. PJ is loyal to a fault. He is HC and everything that happens under him is his responsibility. If he chooses to stick with mediocre coaches (he has) and recruit mediocre talent (he has) we will get mediocre results (we have).

During our best years we had good talent which overcame mediocre coaching. Now we have a talent drop off with similar coaching (Nate Woody notwithstanding) and we have seen the results. Either fix the talent or get better coaches/assistants. It would be great to do both.

Deleted member 2897

Again, coaching matters also properly filling needs. FSU has great skill players but they have neglected the OL. If FSU had a capable OL they would be much better right now. Coaching matters.

Well, in the last 5 classes FSU has taken 8 OL rated 4-stars and 10 OL rated 3-stars. I think the talent (on paper) is there just like it is at the skill positions. Their culture for some reason has absolutely collapsed the last couple of years where its almost like a big percentage of their players just don't care right now.

GTRambler

Helluva Engineer
A better question to ask is, “How accurate are ‘recruiting rankings’?”

Take the “ESPN Top 300,” for example. How does ESPN select the “top 300 high school football players” out of the total number of high school football seniors (of which there are hundreds of thousands of them or even million(s) of them)?

Not to mention the “experts” who select the “top 5- and 4-Star” recruits in the various “college football recruiting” magazines ... of which many folks subscribe to.

Then there is the “if Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Clemson, etc. (insert name of big-time major college football power here) are recruiting him, he must be a 4- or 5-Star” group-think mentality.

I dunno. Seems to me quite a bit of subjectivity here, rather than a precise methodology.

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
Star ratings for football players are like art appreciation. You might not be able to articulate what makes a painting a masterpiece, but you know it when you see it.