Question, what makes a kid a 2,3,4,5 star

So I read all of you saying we have a bunch of 2 and 3 stars and Clemson has a bunch of 4 and 5 star players.

But I asked my son what is the difference. Now I can see the difference in a passing quarterback sure. But D Line Oline running back.

Case in point. Our running backs are bigger and a few are faster than Clemson. We have a 4.3 guy, they don't.

Their O line is not much bigger than our D guys and other than one D line guy, they are not bigger than our Oline.

Secondary is a toss up when it comes to size and speed.

TQM is not a passer but he is a much better runner than either of their QBs.

Serious question here.

Is it aggressiveness, strength.
If it is strength then we need new conditioning coach.

What is it.

Not sure if this post is serious or not. The question seemed legit but the following statements do not.
No this time I am serious. I think it is a real question. If one guy is 6'5 300 blbs, Ol and another guy is 6'5'' 300 lbs and one is a 4 versus 3, why? What they did in high school? really?

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
No this time I am serious. I think it is a real question. If one guy is 6'5 300 blbs, Ol and another guy is 6'5'' 300 lbs and one is a 4 versus 3, why? What they did in high school? really?

Yeah, forsure. Measurables dont mean anything. I mean I was 220 5'10 coming out of high school. Basically a smaller linebacker. But just because I was a certain size didnt mean I can compete... these scouts check their game IQ. See how they react in game situations. Some kids are freak athletes and high football IQ at 6'4 220lbs and some are slow and dumb at 6'4 220lbs. You cannot recruit based on size alone. These kids have to know the sport better than they know their family members.

So I read all of you saying we have a bunch of 2 and 3 stars and Clemson has a bunch of 4 and 5 star players.

But I asked my son what is the difference. Now I can see the difference in a passing quarterback sure. But D Line Oline running back.

Case in point. Our running backs are bigger and a few are faster than Clemson. We have a 4.3 guy, they don't.

Their O line is not much bigger than our D guys and other than one D line guy, they are not bigger than our Oline.

Serious question here.

What is it.

Lol....wow

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
Size, Speed, Stength, Football IQ. All of those are evalutated at Camps and on Film and players are ranked by experts.
Instead of asking what a 5 Star is, ask how many of GT’s players would start for Clemson.

So far you are all deflecting. How many kids at Tech would start for Clemson. Maybe all of them. Jerry Mays was probably a 2 star but he ripped apart the ACC. Nathan Cotrell is faster than every guy on the Clemson roster, but he was 3 star.....why.

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
So far you are all deflecting. How many kids at Tech would start for Clemson. Maybe all of them. Jerry Mays was probably a 2 star but he ripped apart the ACC. Nathan Cotrell is faster than every guy on the Clemson roster, but he was 3 star.....why.

Lol maybe 1 kid would start at clemson....... do we even have a kid that would be drafted? Not this year

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer

Serious question here.

What is it.
Technique, Instincts, athleticism, football IQ. Just because kids are the same size doesn’t mean all these things are made equal. I left off the “normal” things people think of, such as speed, and strength ect.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Cottrell has speed, can you name anything else? I’d take a RB who runs a 4.5 over one that runs a 4.3 if he’s got a better jump cut, more strength, and better vision ( a huge one right there)

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
Not to be rude, but no one who has ever played a competitive sport would ask this. Size and/or straight line speed do not just equal recruiting stars or ability to play football.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Remember speed and football speed are two different things .

At its core, football is a game of decisions processed in milliseconds. Athletes conditioned to make those decisions without blinking end up winning. ( Football speed )

The 40 is speed but without football speed it's only track

knoxjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
First, you do not know that. Second, it means nothing related to the football game. Third, our punter would start at Clemson. I am not sure who else would other than maybe one of our OL.

The stance of these high-horsers seems to be our players are kids who can’t be criticized for on the field play because it will hurt their feelings, but the other teams players can be called thugs, morons, and other personal insults all day long.