Quarterback for next year

Techster

Helluva Engineer
That being said, if Jordan was 6'2", he would have been a mid-to-high 4* based on his performance his senior year. Just my opinion.

The top QB this year, Bryce Young, is 5'11 185 lbs...roughly the same size as Jordan Yates out of HS. EVERYONE recruited him (signed with 'Bama).

I'm not denigrating Yates, but the point is, if Yates was all that and a bag of chips coming out of HS, he would have gotten more attention from P5 schools. Trust me, his QB coach Quincy Avery tried pretty hard to get Yates recruited to go to any other school not named Georgia Tech. I'm glad to have Yates, and I'm really high on his potential (refer to my comments in his recruiting thread), but Yates was rated where he deserved to be coming out of HS.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
The top QB this year, Bryce Young, is 5'11 185 lbs...roughly the same size as Jordan Yates out of HS. EVERYONE recruited him (signed with 'Bama).

I'm not denigrating Yates, but the point is, if Yates were all that and a bag of chips coming out of HS, he would have gotten more attention from P5 schools. Trust me, his QB coach Quincy Avery tried pretty hard to get Yates recruited to go to any other school not named Georgia Tech. I'm glad to have Yates, and I'm really high on his potential (refer to my comments in his recruiting thread), but Yates was rated where he deserved to be coming out of HS.
I would say that Yates is rated as he should be. If he were taller, with the same skills, he would project higher at the collegiate level. I wasn't saying that height is everything, as Bryce is a spectacular talent and we've all discussed ad nauseum the successes of QB's under 6'0". With ratings, it's about perception, and a 6'2" kid showing the same skills Yates did as a 5'11" kid would have started higher and been ranked higher. Not knocking Yates or anyone else, but he showed intangibles that can't be taught.

Did Avery not want Yates in CPJ's offense or did he not want him at Tech?

AlaGTech

Jolly Good Fellow
I'm skeptical about how much a QB can improve his throwing style on the college level.

I mean, by this time, you just throw like you throw. Philip Rivers throws with the same odd motion as a Pro that he did in HS.

We also had trouble hitting wide open receivers (or hitting them in stride) when there was time to throw.

I just don't think a QB already in college can improve his accuracy and touch by leaps and bounds. Incrementally, maybe.

Jacket in Dairyland

Helluva Engineer
I'm skeptical about how much a QB can improve his throwing style on the college level.

I mean, by this time, you just throw like you throw. Philip Rivers throws with the same odd motion as a Pro that he did in HS.

We also had trouble hitting wide open receivers (or hitting them in stride) when there was time to throw.

I just don't think a QB already in college can improve his accuracy and touch by leaps and bounds. Incrementally, maybe.
As I mentioned in another thread. I think JG CAN do it, but it takes a COMMITMENT to work with a paid tutor starting right after this season, so he would be prepared to show significant improvement in the spring. If he doesn't, or he just presumes he is the starter, he will get left behind- change positions or transfer.
LJ deserves ONE ( last) shot in the spring, IMO. But unfortunately , physically/mentally his best days may be in the rear view mirror.

neb llarmus

Jolly Good Fellow
For what it’s worth, here is my gut feel: coming out of spring all 5 QB’s will be ATL. Playing order will be Graham, Sims, Yates, Gleason. Expect Johnson to switch positions or transfer. Expect Gleason to red shirt. Unknown impact will be if we have any injuries. We have some talent and a strong QB Room. Should be interesting to see how this plays out in the fall.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
I’m sorry i don’t get all the Joe Hamilton and Russell Wilson comparison’s to Yates. I don’t know NC State’s roster situation that year but i bet they had a much better QB starter in place than we did this past season. I can just about guarantee you that if young RW had been on this past seasons GT team that he would have been our starter by season’s end.

You are ascribing a performance comparison when there wasn’t one. I specifically mentioned that “IT” factor you referenced. By your metric if Russell had had it then he should have been able to beat out the guys in front of him. But he didn’t ergo he must not have the IT factor.

Of course we all know he does have the IT factor so the point is that perhaps the fact that Yates didn’t win the job this year isn’t an indication he doesn’t have IT. Or maybe it does indicate he doesn’t. I don’t know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GTZachary

Jolly Good Fellow
You are ascribing a performance comparison when there wasn’t one. I specifically mentioned that “IT” factor you referenced. By your metric if Russell had had it then he should have been able to beat out the guys in front of him. But he didn’t ergo he must not have the IT factor.

Of course we all know he does have the IT factor so the point is that perhaps the fact that Yates didn’t win the job this year isn’t an indication he doesn’t have IT. Or maybe it does indicate he doesn’t. I don’t know.

Yea really silly for someone to surmise that Russell had better guys in front of them and use it to discount him as an example, when it’s something that can easily be looked up. Russell Wilson redshirted behind Daniel Evans and Harrison Beck. Neither were any good, they split time and both threw more interceptions than TDs. In his redshirt freshman year, the year started with Wilson splitting time with both of those guys before cementing himself as a starter. So, Wilson didn’t start his true freshman year over two scrubs and he still hadn’t done enough in the spring to clearly win the job the next year. Turns out he was awesome and definitely had IT.

Some guys need more time, it’s too early to write off Graham or Yates.

croberts

Ramblin' Wreck
Yea really silly for someone to surmise that Russell had better guys in front of them and use it to discount him as an example, when it’s something that can easily be looked up. Russell Wilson redshirted behind Daniel Evans and Harrison Beck. Neither were any good, they split time and both threw more interceptions than TDs. In his redshirt freshman year, the year started with Wilson splitting time with both of those guys before cementing himself as a starter. So, Wilson didn’t start his true freshman year over two scrubs and he still hadn’t done enough in the spring to clearly win the job the next year. Turns out he was awesome and definitely had IT.

Really what you are saying is that all this speculation has been for comic relief!! We all need more in our life or more real recruiting news.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer

2 totally different situations obviously. My point that i’m trying to make is that if Yates had the talent of RW he would have won the ‘19 GT starting QB battle easily and never looked back

Last edited:

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer

Or maybe his coach was just a dumba$$? I’m not writing off Yates btw, just not drinking the koolaide on him like quite a few on here...

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer

I'm not denigrating Yates, but the point is, if Yates was all that and a bag of chips coming out of HS, he would have gotten more attention from P5 schools. Trust me, his QB coach Quincy Avery tried pretty hard to get Yates recruited to go to any other school not named Georgia Tech. I'm glad to have Yates, and I'm really high on his potential (refer to my comments in his recruiting thread), but Yates was rated where he deserved to be coming out of HS.

It’s funny you mention Quincy Avery. My son played soccer with a kid whose dad works for/with Quincy Avery. He just flat out told me they tried to steer kids away from GT under the previous regime. He says the talent level of the team will be considerably better in a few years. He loves Collins and what he’s doing with the program.

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
I think the only potentially big time CFB QBs are Gleason and Sims. My take is who gets the mental part the quickest, and I say Gleason does so quicker than Sims, but over a longer time Sims may be the bigger play maker QB. All just speculation at this time by anyone IMO. We have a nice problem, hope it's handled well.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
2 totally different situations obviously. My point that i’m trying to make is that if Yates had the talent of RW he would have won the ‘19 GT starting QB battle easily and never looked back

Why would Yates have been able to do it when even Russell himself, who had Russell’s talent, couldn’t?

The problem is that you are making a statement of fact that just isn’t. Or you’re phrasing something as fact that is your opinion. I have no problem with that being your opinion. I’m not even sure what my own opinion is. But I don’t think we know for a FACT that Yates can’t be the guy.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Most of these things we state on these forums are nothing but our own opinions, i thought everyone all kinda knew that?

This season at GT was a very unique situation for a QB battle, it was open to anyone who could win it and none of the upperclassmen had much of a head start on the freshman. I personally think RW would have won this particular job if his freshman self had been here, ok who knows? thats all man relax. If Yates turns out to be a future nfl hall of famer nobody will be happier than me.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
Why would Yates have been able to do it when even Russell himself, who had Russell’s talent, couldn’t?

The problem is that you are making a statement of fact that just isn’t. Or you’re phrasing something as fact that is your opinion. I have no problem with that being your opinion. I’m not even sure what my own opinion is. But I don’t think we know for a FACT that Yates can’t be the guy.
Because RW was behind 2 guys the coaching staff thought were good. We knew we didn’t have a QB when the season started.

FWIW my take was that since Yates didn’t come in early it took him some time to get his feet under him. Putting a true freshman QB in with an offense where everyone else was learning their roles would have been crazy until things settled in some. By the time it did it would have been a waste to burn his RS with the way the season was going. I think we will see what he’s got next season whatever that is.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
As to why Yates wasn't offered by other "P5" programs: he made it clear right from the first that he was going to go to Tech and wasn't interested in other offers after he committed. This does happen, you know. If a young man wants to go somewhere and the coaches have shown faith in him before he lit up the sky, they very often stick. And, of course, there are coaches out there who are fixated on height.*

As to his talent: he's every bit as good as anyone on our roster. Watch his senior year film. Then remember that his squad wasn't playing the Little Sisters of the Poor. He incinerated some very good football teams on the way to, you know, winning the 7A state championship and being named POY.

Does that mean he starts over Graham? Maybe so, maybe not. I do think that with Graham and Yates back Gleason and Sims will redshirt next year. But all that will be on the table in the spring.

* We'll never know now, but did anyone watch the Army - Navy game this year? If you did you might have been surprised to see both teams line up in a straight shotgun about half the time. Further, when they did get into the regular spread option flex, it was usually with one AB split out. (Mind, they weren't throwing the ball all over the field; they were running from the shotgun and very effectively too.) My guess = Paul would have done that if he had decided to stay and that was one reason he went so hard after Yates. Well, that and that he was another Ricky Dobbs.

TheFlyest

Ramblin' Wreck
A lot of hyperbole and exaggeration in this thread. Anyway Jeff is listed in the BR article.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2867944-true-freshmen-qbs-who-could-start-week-1-in-2020

The Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets made recruiting noise with coach Geoff Collins' first full class this year, and the best prospect of the haul may be former Florida State quarterback commit Jeff Sims.

The 4-star signal-caller decommitted from the Seminoles after they hired Norvell in early December, and the Sandalwood High School quarterback from Jacksonville, Florida, will head to Atlanta to play, choosing the Jackets over Maryland.

James Graham was not productive enough as a starting quarterback this past year for him to scare off any recruits. Sims has a fairly clear path to playing time if he can play up to his potential as the nation's seventh-ranked dual-threat quarterback.