Quarterback for next year

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
Because RW was behind 2 guys the coaching staff thought were good. We knew we didn’t have a QB when the season started.

FWIW my take was that since Yates didn’t come in early it took him some time to get his feet under him. Putting a true freshman QB in with an offense where everyone else was learning their roles would have been crazy until things settled in some. By the time it did it would have been a waste to burn his RS with the way the season was going. I think we will see what he’s got next season whatever that is.

Didn’t Russell beat out those same two guys the following year? When he was just a redshirt frosh?

Again, my point isn’t that Yates is going to take over. Or that he’s similar to Russell. Just that it is silly to judge him based on last year. Our OL was, at best, in flux. Our offense was, at best, schizophrenic and unformed. So how can we know anything for sure?

Personally I have zero feel for who is going to be the guy next season. It’s entirely possible Yates isn’t going to be in the mix. Those who say so could be absolutely right. Or wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Didn’t Russell beat out those same two guys the following year? When he was just a redshirt frosh?

Again, my point isn’t that Yates is going to take over. Or that he’s similar to Russell. Just that it is silly to judge him based on last year. Our OL was, at best, in flux. Our offense was, at best, schizophrenic and unformed. So how can we know anything for sure?

Personally I have zero feel for who is going to be the guy next season. It’s entirely possible Yates isn’t going to be in the mix. Those who say so could be absolutely right. Or wrong.

Speaking of Russell Wilson:

How Russell Wilson's transfer from NC State to Wisconsin set the stage for Joe Burrow and Jalen Hurts

https://www.espn.com/college-footba...te-wisconsin-set-stage-joe-burrow-jalen-hurts

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
Most of these things we state on these forums are nothing but our own opinions, i thought everyone all kinda knew that?

This season at GT was a very unique situation for a QB battle, it was open to anyone who could win it and none of the upperclassmen had much of a head start on the freshman. I personally think RW would have won this particular job if his freshman self had been here, ok who knows? thats all man relax. If Yates turns out to be a future nfl hall of famer nobody will be happier than me.

Been around message boards since they started and it’s definitely not a given that everyone knows these places are all opinion [emoji23][emoji219]

GTRambler

Helluva Engineer
Well, it is my experienced opinion (after following GT football closely for more than 58 years) that a lot of GT’s success at the QB position is closely related to the quality of the coaching.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
I would say that Yates is rated as he should be. If he were taller, with the same skills, he would project higher at the collegiate level. I wasn't saying that height is everything, as Bryce is a spectacular talent and we've all discussed ad nauseum the successes of QB's under 6'0". With ratings, it's about perception, and a 6'2" kid showing the same skills Yates did as a 5'11" kid would have started higher and been ranked higher. Not knocking Yates or anyone else, but he showed intangibles that can't be taught.

Did Avery not want Yates in CPJ's offense or did he not want him at Tech?

Avery hated the old offense and thought Tech was crazy to run it with the QB talent in the state of GA. That being said, we switched the offense and the 2 QBs we got are from Florida.

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
Avery hated the old offense and thought Tech was crazy to run it with the QB talent in the state of GA. That being said, we switched the offense and the 2 QBs we got are from Florida.

In many ways I think the perception of our program is stronger out of state than in. I think there is an angle we can play for Atlanta kids but recruiting more than 20 miles OTP will be tough in state.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
Lucas Johnson: Was easily our most accurate passer last year and I think he could have actually been a decent transitional QB for us, if healthy and playing behind a decent line. That said, there is just too much talent coming in. Hard to see a path forward for him here.

James Graham: Earned the job last year and was electric, at times. Those deep balls were fun to watch. However, he was, statistically, one of the worst starting QBs in college football last year (https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/years/2019-passing.html) and must improve by huge leaps and bounds to even be considered an average starting QB. Can he be a 60 percent, 2500 yard guy that we are going to need to win with this offense?. I think he may well get first crack next year, but we are asking for an awfully big transformation here...

Jordan Yates: I have been on the Yates train since day 1. My biggest question about him is how does the staff feel about him? Patenaude referred to him as a "good little athlete" in a press conference this year and that gave me pause. If the coaching staff isn't that into him, he's going to have to impress them mightily to change the perception.

Jeff Sims: Reportedly very talented, but raw. The plan may be a redshirt, but if he actually does win the job, it will signal that we might have a special QB on our hands.

Tucker Gleason: The first QB commit that the new staff secured and that tells me they think he is a great fit. He's got a good all-around skillset: accuracy, mobility, toughness.

I've got no clue, but am leaning Gleason right now.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Lucas Johnson: Was easily our most accurate passer last year and I think he could have actually been a decent transitional QB for us, if healthy and playing behind a decent line. That said, there is just too much talent coming in. Hard to see a path forward for him here.

James Graham: Earned the job last year and was electric, at times. Those deep balls were fun to watch. However, he was, statistically, one of the worst starting QBs in college football last year (https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/years/2019-passing.html) and must improve by huge leaps and bounds to even be considered an average starting QB. Can he be a 60 percent, 2500 yard guy that we are going to need to win with this offense?. I think he may well get first crack next year, but we are asking for an awfully big transformation here...

Jordan Yates: I have been on the Yates train since day 1. My biggest question about him is how does the staff feel about him? Patenaude referred to him as a "good little athlete" in a press conference this year and that gave me pause. If the coaching staff isn't that into him, he's going to have to impress them mightily to change the perception.

Jeff Sims: Reportedly very talented, but raw. The plan may be a redshirt, but if he actually does win the job, it will signal that we might have a special QB on our hands.

Tucker Gleason: The first QB commit that the new staff secured and that tells me they think he is a great fit. He's got a good all-around skillset: accuracy, mobility, toughness.

I've got no clue, but am leaning Gleason right now.
Thanks for the post.
imo, we are headed for a 60 40 pass run offense so we have a chance w uga and clemson. To get any run yardage we need the field spread out.

In near future the qb run is a a transition.
The older staff
I feel that lj went to check downs to quickly and we got lots of 3 yd passes. He did seem more acurate and had a very catchable ball. He could impress and be back in the mix. I am sad that T Oliver was not accurate at passing as he could have been a real dual threat. I was getting on the Graham train til he fumbled due to ball security on the scramble during uga. His default is the long pass- to much famine. Graham would be my choice for backup - late game way behind - need long passes and long runs by qb.

I would hope T o and Graham shift so they can bulk up and play t e or large slot. Both could get nfl shot after 2021.

Our hope and ost upwcard path is the new staff :
I think the one that can read the defense and get ball consistently on target will end up as starter. Sad to say the " pick 1" screamers will likely have a field day till late 20.

I liked Gleasons hs tape as well.
He saw, stopped, ball up and out - very fast.

Spring training 7 v 7 will be against a tested and talented group of defenders.

Which qb can fill that roll

bos

Helluva Engineer
Tucker Gleason has the best highlight tape imo. He shows good throwing mechanics and grit you want from the QB position. He's also got the size at 6'3" 220lbs.

I would be all in if not for the awful senior season. We'll see what Spring brings. Can't get here fast enough.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Here's another interesting write up I found from last summer's recruiting camp circuit. It's interesting in that 3 QBs who will play a roll in GT's future were all involved: GT signees Sims and Gleason, and UGA signee Beck (who we recruited as well). Sims put on a performance earned the MVP honors for that region and an Elite 11 invite, Beck earned an Elite 11 invite. Gleason had a strong showing, but failed to win an Elite 11 invite.

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football-recruiting/2019/2/25/18239204/florida-qb-recruits-2020

Of course, 7v7 without interior line play is far different from real football when you have to make quick decisions with LBs and DLs that want to rip your head off.

Here's a worthwhile video to watch. Highlights of Beck VS Sims as their teams played each other last season. Beck came out ahead on the scoreboard, but watching the highlights, it appears Sims was the more efficient QB with some nice throws. Beck had a lot of dump off throws...and didn't make any throws that wow'ed you for someone of his reputation. For the game, Beck was 15 of 33 for 177 yards and Sims was 12 of 21 for 167 yards.

BTW, Beck actually struggled this year...to the point that UGA made a run at 'Bama's QB recruit the last month of the early recruiting season.

GT99

Georgia Tech Fan
I'm really surprised how many folks are discounting Graham. He often played like a freshman, but I thought it was pretty obvious he's got a ton of upside potential. Playing behind what was probably the worst OL in all P5 conferences with WRs (other than Brown) that struggled to get separation was a huge factor in his stats. I'd be very surprised if he's not the starting QB next year.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
It’s amazing to me that no one is talking about the coach who coaches the quarterbacks.

Maybe because that topic has already been beaten to death in countless threads? Lets see what happens with a stable of QBs who either have experience with, or were recruited for this offense.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Graham did not win any QB competition. He got the starting job by default because the other two were horrible. As pointed out a few posts ago, statistically speaking Graham was terrible has well, but he at least could complete a random pass on occasion. As far as I’m concerned we do not have an incumbent starter. I really hope we use the spring, fall camp, and the season to pick the right guy for the next 3 years because if we anoint one and lose 2 to the portal we’ll always wonder.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
It’s amazing to me that no one is talking about the coach who coaches the quarterbacks.

CDP doesn’t have a bad history with developing QBs. So it’s reasonable to think that perhaps the struggles we had at the QB position were not a huge indication that he is incapable of doing well when he has guys who are more suited to his system and when he has an OL that is more stable and provides solid protection most of the time.

I’m not sold on CDP, either, my friend. But I don’t feel it’s fair to judge him on the development of the QBs last year.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I'm really surprised how many folks are discounting Graham. He often played like a freshman, but I thought it was pretty obvious he's got a ton of upside potential. Playing behind what was probably the worst OL in all P5 conferences with WRs (other than Brown) that struggled to get separation was a huge factor in his stats. I'd be very surprised if he's not the starting QB next year.
I love Graham. I think he is highly talented. Having said that, I saw a ton of bad reads that killed drives this past year. If he can clean that up and develop the confidence to make the short and intermediate throws consistently, he's got a good chance of holding onto the starting role. If he's inconsistent in his throws or continues to make bad reads, then one of the others will push him out if they can make the reads and throws. To me, this is Graham's job to lose, but he doesn't have much of a head start.

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer
Here's another interesting write up I found from last summer's recruiting camp circuit. It's interesting in that 3 QBs who will play a roll in GT's future were all involved: GT signees Sims and Gleason, and UGA signee Beck (who we recruited as well). Sims put on a performance earned the MVP honors for that region and an Elite 11 invite, Beck earned an Elite 11 invite. Gleason had a strong showing, but failed to win an Elite 11 invite.

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football-recruiting/2019/2/25/18239204/florida-qb-recruits-2020

Of course, 7v7 without interior line play is far different from real football when you have to make quick decisions with LBs and DLs that want to rip your head off.

Here's a worthwhile video to watch. Highlights of Beck VS Sims as their teams played each other last season. Beck came out ahead on the scoreboard, but watching the highlights, it appears Sims was the more efficient QB with some nice throws. Beck had a lot of dump off throws...and didn't make any throws that wow'ed you for someone of his reputation. For the game, Beck was 15 of 33 for 177 yards and Sims was 12 of 21 for 167 yards.

BTW, Beck actually struggled this year...to the point that UGA made a run at 'Bama's QB recruit the last month of the early recruiting season.

Thanks for the vid. Sims will step on campus and be the best at the zone read play we have.

GTRambler

Helluva Engineer
CDP doesn’t have a bad history with developing QBs. So it’s reasonable to think that perhaps the struggles we had at the QB position were not a huge indication that he is incapable of doing well when he has guys who are more suited to his system and when he has an OL that is more stable and provides solid protection most of the time.

I’m not sold on CDP, either, my friend. But I don’t feel it’s fair to judge him on the development of the QBs last year.

Well, perhaps so. But does CDP have a system?

After the smorgasbord we saw over the past year, I’m not sure what his “system” is.

slugboy

Staff member
I love Graham. I think he is highly talented. Having said that, I saw a ton of bad reads that killed drives this past year. If he can clean that up and develop the confidence to make the short and intermediate throws consistently, he's got a good chance of holding onto the starting role. If he's inconsistent in his throws or continues to make bad reads, then one of the others will push him out if they can make the reads and throws. To me, this is Graham's job to lose, but he doesn't have much of a head start.

I’d say this is pretty accurate. Also, for some reason, Graham can throw dimes on long passes, but can be wild on short to intermediate throws.
Some blame also goes on receivers not running out their routes, too—I saw a lot of that from the tight end position. That makes the QB look bad when he’s throwing to a spot the receiver should be in.

Chas_Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow

Nice passing mechanics - also had impressive burst of speed and elusiveness running the ball. Also made good reads on RPO. Excited to see him as a Jacket!