Quarterback for next year

White_Gold

GT Athlete
I find it hilarious that people dismiss a player after their freshman season. It is like they never expect players to improve year over year. Graham was a freshman qb in a new offense behind a terrible line. I am not so quick to write him off. He has as much opportunity to be the starter as anyone else. Would not surprise me at all if he beats out the others.

I just hope he practices and prepares with the same intensity each week, which is what he didn't do last year, admittedly.

Alexgrant1

Georgia Tech Fan
Sims has the best chance to be the starter but his body is young and lean. Graham has 3 seasons of S&C. It will all depend on how Sims handles the pocket and the hits early on. Gleason is in the mix like Yates but I’m looking at how Sims puts the most pressure towards Graham as a starter.
Sims is anything but lean

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I find it hilarious that people dismiss a player after their freshman season. It is like they never expect players to improve year over year. Graham was a freshman qb in a new offense behind a terrible line. I am not so quick to write him off. He has as much opportunity to be the starter as anyone else. Would not surprise me at all if he beats out the others.
Not saying he won't improve but he was not consistent last year. Yes of OL was bad . If he wins the job great but if he does look to lose 2 of the other 3 QB'S next year but that is college football today play me now or .

GT_EE78

Banned
No offense guys, but this is outdated logic. We're in an era where freshmen QB's are coming in and unseating established multi year starters regularly at major programs. The level of preparation and coaching these guys get from camps at the high school level was unheard of when I was that age, but it's led to guys that are frankly worlds better QB's than ever before. There's positions where you still need time to develop physically in order to compete at this level, but the level of coaching available to HS athletes now means that someone with the right physical tools can be mentally prepared to be a day 1 starter at QB, especially when competing against a guy with a horrendous completion percentage. We may not see it in the Clemson game, but my money is on Sims taking over at some point.
Second quarter sounds good.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
The QB that best takes care of the football in Spring and Summer camps will be the one that starts. That means setting the correct protections, holding onto the football if it's a run, and delivering the ball to the receiver on a pass. Could be any of them. That also assumes they learn the playbook aptly.

And for those skills do not count out Yates.

White_Gold

GT Athlete
And for those skills do not count out Yates.
I don't discount Yates despite my past critical posts on his HS film.
I hope they all do great. They will all get a shot to showcase themselves. This QB battle won't be over until someone separates themselves and will extend into the future. Seriously, we could have Yates start this year and Sims/Gleason/Graham beat him out for 2021 or any combination of that. I believe they were all 4 stars. I find it fascinating to be quite honest. That being said, I don't think Sims decommits from FSU if he didn't think he could be the guy from the get go. So if I had to gamble, my bet is on him.

That's why it's going to come down to taking care of the ball- they're all playmakers.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
That being said, I don't think Sims decommits from FSU if he didn't think he could be the guy from the get go. So if I had to gamble, my bet is on him.
Similarly, Gleason never wavered on his commitment even with all the noise surrounding Sims. Tech’s QB room will probably be among the most interesting in the country throughout camp. I think we for sure lose 1 of the 4 before the summer, and between Gleason and Sims, 1 will probably get a redshirt. The Clemson and GW games will probably end up being open tryouts since both will probably end up being blowouts (in opposite directions). The starter in the UCF game will probably be cemented as “the guy” for the remainder of the year, and hopefully the future. By the start of the 2021 season, I think there will only be 2 of the 4 left on the roster.

bos

Helluva Engineer
Sims has the best chance to be the starter but his body is young and lean. Graham has 3 seasons of S&C. It will all depend on how Sims handles the pocket and the hits early on. Gleason is in the mix like Yates but I’m looking at how Sims puts the most pressure towards Graham as a starter.

Sims has about 15 pounds on Graham right now. I think he's capable taking the hits early. One look at him and you can see he clearly has the body to compete right now. Gleason may be the biggest QB at about 225lbs.

Jacketman99

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm confident that no one is just going to be given the job. They will have to earn it. The great thing is they are all here in the spring to compete. Whoever gives us the best chance to win will start. Many times it is not who you thought it was going to be.

White_Gold

GT Athlete
Similarly, Gleason never wavered on his commitment even with all the noise surrounding Sims. Tech’s QB room will probably be among the most interesting in the country throughout camp. I think we for sure lose 1 of the 4 before the summer, and between Gleason and Sims, 1 will probably get a redshirt. The Clemson and GW games will probably end up being open tryouts since both will probably end up being blowouts (in opposite directions). The starter in the UCF game will probably be cemented as “the guy” for the remainder of the year, and hopefully the future. By the start of the 2021 season, I think there will only be 2 of the 4 left on the roster.

I don't disagree with any of that. There's a kicker. Georgia Tech is a phenomenal school. We might not necessarily lose top talent if they've put in the work trying to get a degree from GT. 1 in 6 millionaire stat. Middle of the 2nd biggest city in the Southeast. I don't think it's a foregone conclusion that any of the guys would leave, especially after a year or two or three of some heavy-lifting at school. I know I wouldn't transfer to ANYWHERE after putting in that work.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
It will be interesting to see the first QB that comes in to replace JG if he falters. Might see with Clemson if score gets out of hand.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I just hope he practices and prepares with the same intensity each week, which is what he didn't do last year, admittedly.
Agree don't understand why he didn't. Shows no sign of being a Team Leader can't see other players wanting to follow someone who doesn't practices hard each week. I also feel if P'nut is over the QB's and the way the season was going last year if you see someone not practicing with the same intensity each week you pull him to the side talk to him if it happens again you show him where to sit of the bench, ( Is the being hard , yes, but a QB should be a team leader)

White_Gold

GT Athlete
Agree don't understand why he didn't. Shows no sign of being a Team Leader can't see other players wanting to follow someone who doesn't practices hard each week. I also feel if P'nut is over the QB's and the way the season was going last year if you see someone not practicing with the same intensity each week you pull him to the side talk to him if it happens again you show him where to sit of the bench, ( Is the being hard , yes, but a QB should be a team leader)

Team leaders must be consistent, players or coaches.

Last year was full of hard decisions. Peanut sits Graham, clearly the best out of them all, then you got to start TO or LJ and that's a big old bag of YIKES. Glad that we have options now, I don't even want to bring up last year anymore.

Anyways, I'd love to be a fly following around the QB competition. Pretty nuts that we have 4 X 4stars there

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Well … he had academic difficulties in the spring and got hurt to start the year. I think it wasn't so much his intensity as his problems. Once he got to start, he seemed to improve as the season went on (haven't the time to parse that out of the season stats).

That gives him the inside track, though nothing more. What he does with it is up to him and to the staff deciding to let him be the QB he is; i.e. a true duel-threat. if we quit fooling around about what we want to do on O I don't doubt he'll be much improved.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Team leaders must be consistent, players or coaches.

Last year was full of hard decisions. Peanut sits Graham, clearly the best out of them all, then you got to start TO or LJ and that's a big old bag of YIKES. Glad that we have options now, I don't even want to bring up last year anymore.

Anyways, I'd love to be a fly following around the QB competition. Pretty nuts that we have 4 X 4stars there
Lets hope one stands out

gtg845w

Jolly Good Fellow
Screenshot_20200124-162232_Instagram.jpg

cyclejacket

Jolly Good Fellow
That’s a great characterization of how many feel. I think the vast majority are willing to see next year, but if it’s more of the same he’s probably not going to gain any supporters.

Then why do so d@mn many of you post practically the same complaints and disparagement every time?

This is a thread about Jeff Sims. He's going to make CDP or whoever is OC a better and more popular coach.

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
My money is on people calling for Sims to play when the offense struggles against Clemson's D (assuming he is not ready at this point).

Biggest barriers to Sim's development IMO in order of size are offensive line development (BY FAR), learning the offense (pre-snap and post snap reads), taking care of the football, and adapting to the speed of the game/not trying to do too much