Quarterback for next year

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Is Cam Newton just an exception to this rule? Come on, thats a lazy take. Maybe depends on what your definition of 'Duel Treat' is.
Cam has no rules.
My buddy retired to Brenham texas when Cam played for Blinn. He called me screaming after the last play in championship game where just ran over and by everyone to win the game.
We had his auburn coach - Gene C speak at our corporate meeting - right after the national championship. I asked after game what caliber athlete is CAM - = world class.
When he was at Carolina - a hs player who played for my son was the r tackle (walk on). He said Cam was a great guy in encourgaing him and was a great athlete.

Not to agree- a 6 4 qb can be a r p o qb - no problem.

Imo, it's all about reading defenses and getting his w r on same page.

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
What I amconcerned about is that coaches pull a Lucas J and leave Graham in because he "knows the system" but is not the best QB.So we go another yr floundering around at QB.

I don’t think Lucas played because “he knew the system.” He played because Graham was hurt and Oliver isn’t a qb in this offense.

If Graham starts the season it will be because he gives us the best chance to win. All the qbs we have competing are on campus right now. Graham has a year on 2 of them, but they have plenty of time to pick up the offense between now and August. If they are better than Graham, I have no doubt they will play right away.

The above is not a prediction that either freshman will win the battle. It’s just to say that Collins is building a culture on competition and everything being earned. I don’t think he would play Graham for merely “knowing the offense better.” It helps his recruiting pitch if a true freshman comes in and EARNS the starting qb spot. That being said, I also don’t think he will just put a freshman in their to help recruiting. He’s going to play the best guy.

If Graham wasn’t fighting to regain eligibility last Spring, he would’ve entered the Fall as qb1 and our season may have looked a little different. We didn’t have that luxury though.

FrytownJacket

Georgia Tech Fan
Come on... that is what this discussion is going to come to? Middle school name calling? Take a look in the mirror one time.

Can you please give us some examples from Graham's interviews where he is '"unimpressive"? I must have missed those. Is it his knowledge of the offensive system (where the coaches hold him in high regard)? Conversely - can you give us some examples of Jordan Yates interviews and how they make him more qualified to play QB over Graham in your eyes. Thanks.

No idea if this is what he meant but I wasn't real enthused with a couple of his post game interviews either(Pitt VT).. Where he admitted that he didn't prepare like he should have... He just won the starting job and he's already getting lazy in his preparation? I wrote it off as youth and inexperience but as a fan or coach those are the last things you want your QB admitting in public... Really interested on how he looks in the spring with all the quality competition at his position..

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
No idea if this is what he meant but I wasn't real enthused with a couple of his post game interviews either(Pitt VT).. Where he admitted that he didn't prepare like he should have... He just won the starting job and he's already getting lazy in his preparation? I wrote it off as youth and inexperience but as a fan or coach those are the last things you want your QB admitting in public... Really interested on how he looks in the spring with all the quality competition at his position..

I agree that it's not a good thing that the QB isn't prepared. On the other hand if in those interviews, and I'm speaking hypothetically because I can't remember them or the context, he's taking responsibility for that lack of preparation then you at least like that he's willing to do that and if he then goes and doubles down and prepares really well it's a positive. Again, I'm not saying that's what happened, just saying that if that type of thing occurs then it's a good lesson and you move on from there. If not and it continues to happen, well, then you've got a real problem

Jacketman99

Ramblin' Wreck
I don't think he was being lazy. Some young players have to learn the proper preparation. As a qb it takes more than the 20 hours of practice time. Qbs usually have to spend more time and effort on preparation than other positions. No longer can you get away with playing well simply because you were the best athlete on the field like in highschool. If James does not prepare appropriately this year we have guys talented enough to take the position. Not sure if we could say that last year.

alagold

Helluva Engineer

If that is true, it is SCARY-both from the player side and coaching who should be able to give the QB what he needs --but not TOO much or little..

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I gotta believe that our QB’s, WR’s, and TE’s are allowed to work on their game any time they want. They have access to fields all over Atlanta. Take a day like today, beautifully sunny and perfect temps, while I was out throwing BP to 6 high school baseball players I saw the HS QB and receivers running routes and getting reps with the QB. No coaches, just a handful of guys who take football seriously. That is why when I see the simple basics that our QB’s couldn’t do last year drove me nuts. How hard is it to spend 45 minutes working on 10 yard out routes or wheel routes? The players know how limited practice time is so if I’m a GT QB I’m doing do everything to get ready for a fierce competition.

Buzz1126

Georgia Tech Fan
Come on... that is what this discussion is going to come to? Middle school name calling? Take a look in the mirror one time.

Can you please give us some examples from Graham's interviews where he is '"unimpressive"? I must have missed those. Is it his knowledge of the offensive system (where the coaches hold him in high regard)? Conversely - can you give us some examples of Jordan Yates interviews and how they make him more qualified to play QB over Graham in your eyes. Thanks.

Dude, you're making fun of me and responding with non productive sarcastic comments on my opinion. What did you expect? You said the same thing about me without using a curse word....

Graham's performance has been abysmal. He's constantly under throwing or overthrowing flats, outs, slants. He throws a good deep ball. Watch this interview. This is what i'm talking about. Then follow it up with an interview from Joe Burrow or any great college QB. Or, follow it up with a CGC interview.

I question his character, and we all question his play. What is there to like?

https://www.ajc.com/sports/college/...wns-poor-play-hokies/iPoQQW7wxK9wwKTAQ4EzhP/#

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
Dude, you're making fun of me and responding with non productive sarcastic comments on my opinion. What did you expect? You said the same thing about me without using a curse word....

Graham's performance has been abysmal. He's constantly under throwing or overthrowing flats, outs, slants. He throws a good deep ball. Watch this interview. This is what i'm talking about. Then follow it up with an interview from Joe Burrow or any great college QB. Or, follow it up with a CGC interview.

https://www.ajc.com/sports/college/...wns-poor-play-hokies/iPoQQW7wxK9wwKTAQ4EzhP/#
You're accusing him of being a freshman. We were expecting that.

White_Gold

GT Athlete
I think the main difference is that if you are 6'3" or taller you can't be a dual-threat QB. If you look at Gleason's junior film, you can see that he can run and sometimes prefers to. But … he's too tall to be a dual-threat QB!! He's pro-style!!

I do think that, with Graham and Yates both up next year, Sims and Gleason probably should redshirt. All to the good, that. As to who wins out … well, that's up to the young men in question. It ain't written in stone.

Sims reminds me of a better passing wise Jacory Harris. Gleason reminds me of the guy they had at Temple and Curtis Painter.

White_Gold

GT Athlete
You're accusing him of being a freshman. We were expecting that.

*Redshirt Freshman

I've never taken kindly to players that have the ability to smile and act as if it's ok after losing a blowout game while announcing that they didn't prepare the same as the week before. That's incredible to be honest.

James, if you're reading, heart to heart time, bro: At least act like you care. Act as if it means something to you to get blown out by our rival. And if it's true that you didn't prepare as hard as you normally do, DON'T SAY IT.

Jacketman99

Ramblin' Wreck

When you are comparing those interviews make sure you go back to Burrows red shirt freshman year. A lot of maturing happens by the time you are a 5th year guy.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
*Redshirt Freshman

I've never taken kindly to players that have the ability to smile and act as if it's ok after losing a blowout game while announcing that they didn't prepare the same as the week before. That's incredible to be honest.

James, if you're reading, heart to heart time, bro: At least act like you care. Act as if it means something to you to get blown out by our rival. And if it's true that you didn't prepare as hard as you normally do, DON'T SAY IT.
RFr class and it's still his first year of any significant playing time. The more mature person seems to have the ability to smile at others while digesting his own mistakes.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
What do you mean by this?

Right now running backs are basically seen as 4-5 year contracts for the team that drafts them for the most part. If even if they prove themselves they are likely allowed to enter free agency because another one will probably be just as good. After all these first round busts on QB's i expect we will start seeing more and more teams drafing OL in the first and second same with DL as they really win the games. A middling QB with an excelllent line is better than an allstar QB constantly playing off his back foot. It lets a team wait it out a bit more and pickup a guy they like in Free agency OR not get hit to hard in the draft.

When you got guys like Russell Wilson going so late and non traditional QB's starting to become more prevalent in college NFL teams are going to be forced to do this anyway. Very rarely is someone going to be ready right out of the gate anymore.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
Now that we are opening against Clemson, there’s no way I would throw a true freshman in the Lions den. (I mean Tiger den). Graham will start game one for sure barring something unforeseen.