Quarterback for next year

FightWinDrink

Helluva Engineer
Spot On... Look at Bo Nix Auburn, Trevor Lawerance, Jake Fromm, on and on... Gleason or Sims will be the starter from day 1
technically neither Lawrence nor Fromm were day 1 starters. Kelly Bryant and Eason still started over them. Eason started the game against App State and left due to injury. Lawrence didn't unseat Bryant as the full time starter for a few weeks.

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
technically neither Lawrence nor Fromm were day 1 starters. Kelly Bryant and Eason still started over them. Eason started the game against App State and left due to injury. Lawrence didn't unseat Bryant as the full time starter for a few weeks.

True. Both would’ve started day 1 at 95% of schools though.

Something I haven’t seen mentioned that plays a huge role in having a true freshman qb start is the supporting cast around him. Having a great OL and running game makes his job easier. Add an elite defense and it’s even easier.

Clemson and dwags checked all those boxes. We get a check minus on run game due to talent in rb room. OL and D huge question marks.

So while I think it’s very possible for a true freshman to come in and start right away with success, I don’t think we have the pieces for that to happen. I do think if one of Sims or Gleason is showing that they are the answer longterm at some point in the season than we should just build with them.

Alexgrant1

Georgia Tech Fan
True. Both would’ve started day 1 at 95% of schools though.

Something I haven’t seen mentioned that plays a huge role in having a true freshman qb start is the supporting cast around him. Having a great OL and running game makes his job easier. Add an elite defense and it’s even easier.

Clemson and dwags checked all those boxes. We get a check minus on run game due to talent in rb room. OL and D huge question marks.

So while I think it’s very possible for a true freshman to come in and start right away with success, I don’t think we have the pieces for that to happen. I do think if one of Sims or Gleason is showing that they are the answer longterm at some point in the season than we should just build with them.
What about Sam Howell starting day 1 on a team that went 2-9 the previous year

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
What about Sam Howell starting day 1 on a team that went 2-9 the previous year

What about him? He played pretty well (really well for a freshman). But the still went 7-6 with a loss to App St. They had an NFL sized OL and good running game (more ypg than the dwags). They also had a defense in the top 50.

I don’t understand what point you’re trying to make. I said freshman qbs can have success. I also said there are a few pieces that add ir takeaway from that likelihood. Record the previous year wasn’t one of those pieces.

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
Reggie Ball started day 1.
He beat Auburn his freshman year. Can't remember if it was the first or second game. I believe Auburn was highly ranked at the time.

Oh I remember that really well. That was my freshman year too. That was an awesome game! Was on the field celebrating after.

The reason we won that game though was because our defense gave up 3 points and PJ Daniels. I also think it hurt Reggie long term having to play as a true Freshman. I think he would’ve benefited from redshirting but I don’t think we had an option. Don’t remember who was behind him but Taylor Bennet and I think he was the same year.

JacketTrain

Jolly Good Fellow
Oh I remember that really well. That was my freshman year too. That was an awesome game! Was on the field celebrating after.

The reason we won that game though was because our defense gave up 3 points and PJ Daniels. I also think it hurt Reggie long term having to play as a true Freshman. I think he would’ve benefited from redshirting but I don’t think we had an option. Don’t remember who was behind him but Taylor Bennet and I think he was the same year.

Didn't Reggie beat out TN transfer and bust AJ Suggs

slugboy

Staff member
Tenuta’s coming out party

I think it was USC’s defense that smacked Auburn the game before. One week later, we did the same thing. I think we borrowed a lot of what USC did, which is more impressive in a single week to prep.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
I think it was USC’s defense that smacked Auburn the game before. One week later, we did the same thing. I think we borrowed a lot of what USC did, which is more impressive in a single week to prep.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Given the time period and the state of the game then its not actually that crazy.

Jacketman99

Ramblin' Wreck
I am amazed by the number of people that seem to have made final judgements on a freshman qb playing in his first year in a new system behind one one the worst olines in power 5. Show me a freshman who would not be inconsistent in that scenario. Of course Graham needs to improve but that is typically what happens when you get more comfortable in the offense and you are not running for your life. If our pass protection does not improve none of the qbs will look good.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
I think we see Sims late in the Clemson game if we are behind more than 3 TD's . Might be Gleason but more likely Sims . Both will go through spring and then fall practice so Yates may be odd man out. Spring game should tell a lot but LJ looked really good in spring game before he was injured. I think Yates doesn't have the height this staff wants at QB.
Neither does Russell Wilson!

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
I am amazed by the number of people that seem to have made final judgements on a freshman qb playing in his first year in a new system behind one one the worst olines in power 5. Show me a freshman who would not be inconsistent in that scenario. Of course Graham needs to improve but that is typically what happens when you get more comfortable in the offense and you are not running for your life. If our pass protection does not improve none of the qbs will look good.

Definitely the most sensible opinion. Bear in mind he was even further behind having to regain his academic eligibility.

I think the issue for most folks is how many opportunities he missed. Sometimes reads but often poor throws when the chance to convert was there. Usually short to intermediate stuff and often on the move but not severe duress.

That said, he also showed every single tool you could want in a QB. Others may beat him out and/or may have better tools (Sims esp.), but Graham showed plenty of potential last year and for the reasons you highlight should not be judged moving forward based on this year's numbers.