QB controversy

kalld12

Banned
Is it me or does Sims look a little indecisive, uncomfortable, and unconfident? Maybe a lack of confidence in the OL or maybe the play calling/check downs are too complicated? There’s no doubt that he’s very gifted athletically but there’s something amiss.
This. I've been saying this all year. Itll take another 3-9 season and 10 INTs next year for some of these posters to listen.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
This. I've been saying this all year. Itll take another 3-9 season and 10 INTs next year for some of these posters to listen.
Let me play devils advocate. Slightly.

It could be that he hasn’t figured out how to play each down in the moment and thus he loses his poise. The feeling of trying to win the game all on one play comes through often. I think what people like about Yates is that he plays within himself and tries to get what he can and trust that one play does not make or break an entire game. He just lets the game unfold while focusing on the mechanics of each play. He is definitely a zen archer.

Winning would help Sims relax but that’s a chicken and egg thing. He has the physical skills.

kalld12

Banned
Let me play devils advocate. Slightly.

It could be that he hasn’t figured out how to play each down in the moment and thus he loses his poise. The feeling of trying to win the game all on one play comes through often. I think what people like about Yates is that he plays within himself and tries to get what he can and trust that one play does not make or break an entire game. He just lets the game unfold while focusing on the mechanics of each play. He is definitely a zen archer.

Winning would help Sims relax but that’s a chicken and egg thing. He has the physical skills.
I hear you. Listen, Sims will most likely be our starter next year game 1, but with the added pressure on CGC and CDP to win i'd expect Sims to be on a much shorter leash next year if the turnovers and bad decisions continue. I've posted numerous times stating that Sims has the most upside of our enitre QB room, but like any P5 QB, turnovers will kill you and lead to losses. This is the one Achilles hill Sims must improve on next year. I get the OL can be much improved, but bad decisions can be improved on no matter the OL. Throw the ball away if no ones open, sometimes even a sack is better than throwing the ball to the other opponent, and most of all Sims needs to relax and stop trying to do too much. He's got the talent, the game just needs to slow down for him. Believe it or not, I support both QBs!

GoldZ

Ramblin' Wreck
My stance on the QB, is I know what I have in Yates but his ceiling isn’t high. Give him a strong run game and a good D, and he will win some games but I don’t see him improving much more unless his arm greatly improves.

With Sims, he’s unpredictable in his decisions but he’s got the speed and the arm. We need to score close to 40 pts to win this year, so since we are bad, I’d go with him and hope things click in the future.

I wouldn’t hope for an underclassmen like peery or pryon until their 3rd year.
What are Sims' and Yates' completion percentages this year ?

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Real power 5 teams that dont have a "go go wr" have qb passing issues when they face better defenses. When they face elite defenses, they have little chance of success.

Next year our biggest wild card is will our tight end become more than short pass threats and will the injured tall freshman wr show signs of becoming a go to wr.

Yea, the ol needs to be stronger against the rush, but the short quick out routes are run against the entire db field. This clogs up safe passing windows.

kalld12

Banned
I’d love to see Peery at some point. I mean…what do we have to lose?

Not much. Season is a wash anyways.
I'd agree, I just dont know that you feed a frosh QB to a ND or UGA defense. This can lead to bad habits from the get go and some young QBs never recover from being thrown to the wolves so early.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
What are Sims' and Yates' completion percentages this year ?
Yates is 69 - 109 (63.3%), 739 yds., 6 TD's, 2 Int. QB Rating 134.8

Sims is 113 - 188 (60.1%), 1,468 yds., 12 TD's, 7 Int. - QB Rating 139.3

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Last edited:

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
We rank (and boy are we rank) #117

Opponents are, over 10 games, 187 - 289 for 2719 yds., 9.41 yds. per pass attempt, 22 TD's

Seriously though, this explains our third and long problem. We must be a good bit better against the rush. But third and long is money down for the other team