QB battle

TampaGT

Helluva Engineer
I feel like people are saying that CPJ will go with MJ only because of his experience? Not saying that experience is over rated, but it sounds like some are saying that is the only reason he gets the job. He is a talented kid and a physical runner. I wonder if the issue is similar to when JT first started to get PT. We had lots of success with JFN and big physical runner. Some thought you had to be a big physical runner to have success in the 3O. Now that JT had success as a smaller quick and fast guy some think that only quick fast guy can win. CPJ can call plays that bring the best out of each QB strengths. As long as a QB is willing to run his system he will succeed. PLEASE IF we punt the first series don't start booing or saying that he should have started x.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
My take on the situation (with a poorly made graph)

MJ has the highest floor (very good and important) but the lowest ceiling of the 4.
TM has had the best consistent level of play but has been unable to pull away for a variety of reasons.
LJ has a higher ceiling than MJ or TM because he is the best passer, but he doesnt know the offense as well as the other 2, holding back his average level of play and keeping a low floor.
JJ has the highest ceiling of the group ("A big play waiting to happen for either team"- CPJ) and the lowest floor. He will be the starter of this team eventually, but not this year. Higher ceiling than JeT, very excited.

I personally lean towards TM, so this graph may be biased towards that. But I think this is an accurate way to put this. I can see the positives of playing it safe vs Tenn with MJ or going with LJ if he is truly the best QB we can put out there. TM is the happy medium of both, and a middle-class mans version of JeT (better than a poor mans version). Either way I echo 95% of the board where I trust CPJ to make the right call and then call a game based on that QB's strengths.
View attachment 2707

Love the graph, but it's a USA Today graph if I've ever seen one :)...single sample size, no description of the scale, etc.

Saying that JJ has a higher ceiling than JT is a bit bold...maybe he does, but JT was incredible. I'm not sure I can say that without seeing the guy play a single snap in a real game.

Rock

Ramblin' Wreck
I feel like people are saying that CPJ will go with MJ only because of his experience? Not saying that experience is over rated, but it sounds like some are saying that is the only reason he gets the job. He is a talented kid and a physical runner. I wonder if the issue is similar to when JT first started to get PT. We had lots of success with JFN and big physical runner. Some thought you had to be a big physical runner to have success in the 3O. Now that JT had success as a smaller quick and fast guy some think that only quick fast guy can win. CPJ can call plays that bring the best out of each QB strengths. As long as a QB is willing to run his system he will succeed. PLEASE IF we punt the first series don't start booing or saying that he should have started x.

That's gonna happen no matter what.
People don't get their way and the other guy can't do anything right.

nature of the beast.
I just hope it's a good punt, lol.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Ya know, when Shamire Devine ambles out with the offense, only to line up as QB in our new Shotgun/Battering Ram formation with old-fashioned blocking backs just behind and between each OG and OT; all you fanboys of those other alleged quarterbacks are going to feel soooooooo silly.

;):troll::eek:

All kidding aside, what if we did this at the goal line? I mean Dedrick already can't be denied, but what are you going to do if Shamire sneaks?

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
My take on the situation (with a poorly made graph)

MJ has the highest floor (very good and important) but the lowest ceiling of the 4.
TM has had the best consistent level of play but has been unable to pull away for a variety of reasons.
LJ has a higher ceiling than MJ or TM because he is the best passer, but he doesnt know the offense as well as the other 2, holding back his average level of play and keeping a low floor.
JJ has the highest ceiling of the group ("A big play waiting to happen for either team"- CPJ) and the lowest floor. He will be the starter of this team eventually, but not this year. Higher ceiling than JeT, very excited.

I personally lean towards TM, so this graph may be biased towards that. But I think this is an accurate way to put this. I can see the positives of playing it safe vs Tenn with MJ or going with LJ if he is truly the best QB we can put out there. TM is the happy medium of both, and a middle-class mans version of JeT (better than a poor mans version). Either way I echo 95% of the board where I trust CPJ to make the right call and then call a game based on that QB's strengths.
View attachment 2707
You forgot to label the units on your y coordinate. :)

Lawyer mark

Jolly Good Fellow
I am curious. Does anyone else think one may start, but not get the majority of snaps for the entire game? Maybe mj starts due to experience and then one other gets worked in and takes over... could be possible way to ease a less experienced guy into a big game.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Who is x?

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
I am curious. Does anyone else think one may start, but not get the majority of snaps for the entire game? Maybe mj starts due to experience and then one other gets worked in and takes over... could be possible way to ease a less experienced guy into a big game.
Not with CPJ. He knows who he wants and I doubt we see more than 1 QB unless we are blowing them away or the QB is awful. Another way we might see two guys is if MJ is not the starter, he might get brought in on short yardage goal line plus.

Bule

Jolly Good Fellow
Not with CPJ. He knows who he wants and I doubt we see more than 1 QB unless we are blowing them away or the QB is awful. Another way we might see two guys is if MJ is not the starter, he might get brought in on short yardage goal line plus.
As much as your post has credibility , due to past seasons, I actually disagree with this. This is the first time I can recall CPJ saying (on multiple occasions) that he has many good options at QB. He has gone as far as saying he has a 1, 1a and 1b. My guess based on current situation is that the three legitimate options as of now are MJ, LJ and TM. I think any one of these could end up being the guy before it is overwith but he is obviously going to start with someone as the main guy. They just will have a shorter leash than past years, IMO.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
As much as your post has credibility , due to past seasons, I actually disagree with this. This is the first time I can recall CPJ saying (on multiple occasions) that he has many good options at QB. He has gone as far as saying he has a 1, 1a and 1b. My guess based on current situation is that the three legitimate options as of now are MJ, LJ and TM. I think any one of these could end up being the guy before it is overwith but he is obviously going to start with someone as the main guy. They just will have a shorter leash than past years, IMO.
I think we are on the same page more than you think. I agree the QB1 might be on a short leash but if he's playing well he will probably be the only QB we see unless it's for one of the other reasons I gave. I don't see CPJ just letting 2 or 4 guys play for the heck of hit. You can't get in a good rhythm like that imo.

GTBillyJosh

Jolly Good Fellow

CPJ has said in interviews recently that the only way to know what he has with some of the young guys is to play them in a few games. LJ will get a shot at some point, regardless of whether one of the other two starts. CPJ wants to see what he has. Even TM doesn't have real game experience at QB. So I'd think he will start with one, but the other guys could get thrown in to test the waters at some point.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
I think MJ will get the start because of his experience, and because of the huge stage/pressure. If he struggles we'll prob see TM pretty quick. If God forbid we get down big, then He might use LJ to see if he can pass us back in the game. I really think in the 2-3 games after UT all 4 guys are going to get their chances to shine and see who the best in-game qb is for us going forward.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
CPJ has said in interviews recently that the only way to know what he has with some of the young guys is to play them in a few games. LJ will get a shot at some point, regardless of whether one of the other two starts. CPJ wants to see what he has. Even TM doesn't have real game experience at QB. So I'd think he will start with one, but the other guys could get thrown in to test the waters at some point.
I agree but I doubt he does this in a close game, no reason to take a chance putting a guy in like that. It will be with a blowout like we normally see him do with other QB's.

1BearJACKET

Jolly Good Fellow
I think he (Coach Johnson) is playing it close to the vest so he won't drive away anyone who has eligibility left (and already has his B.S. in hand). Jordan could conceivably play 2 seasons elsewhere as a grad student if he still wants to play football and feels like he has more to offer than just being a goal line or short yardage situation QB. He moved to A Back to get PT and then back to QB when Byerly was lost to injury, and has the most in game experience (where it counts). I could see him feeling like the rug had been pulled out from under him and would understand if he sought to leave and play somewhere else. I would be sad to see him leave but would wish him well where ever he ended up (provided it is not UGA).

Then I would jump on the Lucas Johnson hype train.

Philhutch80

Jolly Good Fellow
That's gonna happen no matter what.
People don't get their way and the other guy can't do anything right.

nature of the beast.
I just hope it's a good punt, lol.

Which probably means MJ WILL NOT be the starter. He could be 1b at this point, who knows. Even as connected as Rock is it is all speculation that only CPJ knows who will open on 9/4. I am right there with you though Rock, better be a boomer of a punt with a vicious hit on whoever the sucker for UT is that takes the punt!

Rock

Ramblin' Wreck
Which probably means MJ WILL NOT be the starter. He could be 1b at this point, who knows. Even as connected as Rock is it is all speculation that only CPJ knows who will open on 9/4. I am right there with you though Rock, better be a boomer of a punt with a vicious hit on whoever the sucker for UT is that takes the punt!

And how did you deduct that from me saying some people are hate on whomever the starting QB is? it goes for every position that has a 1st year starter. "put in "so and so, he can do better"
It happens at EVERY school, not just at GT.

Philhutch80

Jolly Good Fellow
Because you have shown confidence in MJ being the starter that is unwavering. Nothing wrong with it but given the choice between MJ, TM or LJ and knowing what you know which one of the three would most likely lead us downfield?
I agree with you that every position has that happen. It happened a whole bunch with Vad when he was here. I am not knocking you just stating the obvious. Again though, only Candeto and CPJ really know who starts that first drive. Whoever it is will be the guy and I hope we score with him.

305jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I'm nto sure I agree with you, but I just want to credit you for good graphwork. A graph that tells a story well and includes the important stuff without getting cluttered is more rare than one would think. Well done.
Haha thank you, scraped it together really quickly just as a way to visualize. Curious, which parts do you disagree with? I think my most controversial take there is JJ higher ceiling than JeT, but CPJ himself said he might be the most talented QB he has ever coached. If he puts it all together, there is no reason he can't be as good as Justin. For as good as Justin was, he was not perfect. JJ could certainly reach that (though he may not).
I think MJ is extremely limited as a passer and that is why he will not have a high ceiling, this offense is unquestionably at its best when a defense has to respect the deep passing game, if MJ is not capable of making the throws, it handicaps the offense.
LJ has a low floor simply due to lack of time in the system/knowledge. Per all reports, TM has been the best in practice so I'll give him the nod.