Props to Shamire Devine

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
It is pretty obvious from watching this interview, and many others with Shamire, that he is a cut above most NFL bound players in terms of intellectual capacity and character. He will crush the "wonderlich" sp? test and make his competitors look like dumb.......(people) in comparison. Brains and character is valued. The physical tools are there. We will all be following his progress in the Pro-Jackets threads for years to come.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Seems like a great kid. Tough major that takes a lot of time. Very articulate. Looked really strong. Not obvious from the video he is 380 lbs.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
Well, they gave us the first yard, lining up at least 4ft off the LOS. I don't think that helped them much as it just gave our guys a full step to gather speed before ramming them. I understand the thought behind it, but I don't think they would prepare that way again given the results. With all that film out there of teams shooting A-gaps and such, I am surprised. Your point remains though. Our OL played really well. However, rest assured, not every team is going to wait back to catch us, especially with this game fresh in their minds.

Agreed. FWIW I was really happy with our pad level after firing off the ball. I thought the OL played really well as a unit. I don't think we had a false start, and we only had one chop block. They made us turn it up inside and took away the edge. It was where our inexperience was. In retrospect it didn't work, but I am not sure gap shooting would have been much more successful overall. It would have given us some X plays.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Love that guy even more after that interview. I've always pointed to the FSU game (where he completely emasculated future high round NFL players) as what his potential is, so it's good to hear him point to that game and recognize what he can do as well.

Think about this. We ran 90+ plays that game. We usually run 60+/- plays a game. Shamire was still going strong in OT. I can only remember 1 series where I did not see him in at RG. I think he probably played 70-80 snaps against UT. That bodes VERY well for us if Shamire can go to the finish line. That frees Will Bryan to be the "6th man" of the OL where he can play OG or OT at a high level wherever he's needed.

Cam

Helluva Engineer
He's my favorite player they interview. Kind of reminds me of Patrick Skov in that he seems very intelligent and articulate and isn't afraid to just let his personality out. Doesn't mumble, speaks honestly, and has a good sense of humor. If he chooses to go to the NFL, he will perform very well in interviews with the teams. I'm hoping he can put on enough of a performance this season to warrant an invitation to the combine. He's really the complete package.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Shamire is a great representative of Tech, imho. His interviews (I've only seen two) show how articulate and objective our OLs are. It is a great distinction from most of our opponents. I think his play gives us many options going forward at OL that will serve his teammates well.

I also like it that he was doing outdoor work for his conditioning. I've always said that there's work strong and gym strong. The strongest people I've ever known were work strong. They had to use all their muscles in their work and it paid off. I've been gym strong myself for awhile (age weighted, of course) and it isn't the same. I'm glad Shamire made this kind of effort in the off-season.

And, Lordy, is he big!

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Well, they gave us the first yard, lining up at least 4ft off the LOS. I don't think that helped them much as it just gave our guys a full step to gather speed before ramming them. I understand the thought behind it, but I don't think they would prepare that way again given the results. With all that film out there of teams shooting A-gaps and such, I am surprised. Your point remains though. Our OL played really well. However, rest assured, not every team is going to wait back to catch us, especially with this game fresh in their minds.
A little history here. One of the reasons that there's a rule about how many OLs have to be set on the LOS at the snap was the "Heisman shift" that Coach Heisman used in his first years at Tech. The OL would come set then at a signal in the count would back up a yard to get a running start at the other side. UT did that for us all by their lonesome. Thanks, Butch!