Preview 2018: Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets

gtwcf

Ramblin' Wreck
Yeah, hoping Jalen Camp busts out but if he doesn't Clinton Lynch may well lead the team in both receiving and rushing.

I really hope Lynch doesn't lead us in rushing, because that likely means we weren't able to get the dive established (see 2013 with Robbie Godhigh)

slugboy

Staff member
almost, 37.1
http://www.cfbstats.com/2010/team/255/passing/index.html

JT's, one of our better passers, was almost as bad in 2015: 41.7.

Maybe the surrounding cast as a little to do with it, eh?
I've been keeping the aggregate for all the QBs. Tevin was backing him up and raised the average. (http://www.espn.com/college-football/team/stats/_/id/59/year/2010)
Nesbitt also had Roddy Jones, Orwin Smith, Kevin Cone, and Stephen Hill. The next year, with roughly the same surrounding cast, Tevin Washington had a 49.3% completion rate.
JT battled nagging injuries through 2015--I think that's why.
I think BayBay helped Nesbitt a TON, and I think Nesbitt was a warrior, but I don't think Nesbitt was a great passer. I think TM's more likely to look like Nesbitt than look like JT, at least in terms of the numbers. If I see a beast mode flex in the end zone or tearing a fumble back out of VT's hands, I'll be thrilled, but that's not what I'm expecting.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I've been keeping the aggregate for all the QBs. Tevin was backing him up and raised the average. (http://www.espn.com/college-football/team/stats/_/id/59/year/2010)
Nesbitt also had Roddy Jones, Orwin Smith, Kevin Cone, and Stephen Hill. The next year, with roughly the same surrounding cast, Tevin Washington had a 49.3% completion rate.
JT battled nagging injuries through 2015--I think that's why.
I think BayBay helped Nesbitt a TON, and I think Nesbitt was a warrior, but I don't think Nesbitt was a great passer. I think TM's more likely to look like Nesbitt than look like JT, at least in terms of the numbers. If I see a beast mode flex in the end zone or tearing a fumble back out of VT's hands, I'll be thrilled, but that's not what I'm expecting.
Nesbitt is one of my favorite Jackets of all time. As you say, his value to the team was not as a passer or even as an option master. He was a beast, pure and simple. When we needed a handful of yards to extend a drive, he was automatic. He was also a leader that I believe elevated the play of teammates because they believed in him so much.

I think TaQuon is similar in that he is not a great passer or an option master. He's not a beast, but he has playmaking ability that adds great value to the offense. Another way he's like Nesbitt is he's tough as nails and the team follows his leadership.

I'm really expecting him to round out his game this year. He showed flashes in both the passing and pitch game but was not consistent. He tended to call his own number when there was more potential in the pitch and he was inconsistent in the read game as well. To be fair, a lot of our offensive woes had to do with guys not named Taquon Marshall. It doesn't take much to upset any given play in our scheme. With 11 moving parts, all it takes is one guy missing his mark to turn a big gain into a small one or a loss. With a full year under his and his surrounding cast's belt, I fully expect the consistency to move in the positive direction. How much, we'll just have to wait and see.

One aspect I really hope he'd adopt from JT's game is the quick pitch. JT was a master at this and I remember countless times last year where a quick pitch would have turned a play from a loss into a gain, many times a huge gain.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Nesbitt is one of my favorite Jackets of all time. As you say, his value to the team was not as a passer or even as an option master. He was a beast, pure and simple. When we needed a handful of yards to extend a drive, he was automatic. He was also a leader that I believe elevated the play of teammates because they believed in him so much.

I think TaQuon is similar in that he is not a great passer or an option master. He's not a beast, but he has playmaking ability that adds great value to the offense. Another way he's like Nesbitt is he's tough as nails and the team follows his leadership.

I'm really expecting him to round out his game this year. He showed flashes in both the passing and pitch game but was not consistent. He tended to call his own number when there was more potential in the pitch and he was inconsistent in the read game as well. To be fair, a lot of our offensive woes had to do with guys not named Taquon Marshall. It doesn't take much to upset any given play in our scheme. With 11 moving parts, all it takes is one guy missing his mark to turn a big gain into a small one or a loss. With a full year under his and his surrounding cast's belt, I fully expect the consistency to move in the positive direction. How much, we'll just have to wait and see.

One aspect I really hope he'd adopt from JT's game is the quick pitch. JT was a master at this and I remember countless times last year where a quick pitch would have turned a play from a loss into a gain, many times a huge gain.
I agree if the OL stays healthy and injury-free this will be a good offensive team. The only 2 things I would like to see this year is more passes to the A- Backs and on the option that the QB does not take the A-Backs outside lane.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
I agree if the OL stays healthy and injury-free this will be a good offensive team. .

How many years do people have to watch this offense to know that isn't going to happen? This offense scored zero second half points in the last two games of last season. These kids are beaten up by the end of the year. An injured shoulder hurts more in the second half than in the first half. Just because they are out there doesn't mean they aren't hurt.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
How many years do people have to watch this offense to know that isn't going to happen? This offense scored zero second half points in the last two games of last season. These kids are beaten up by the end of the year. An injured shoulder hurts more in the second half than in the first half. Just because they are out there doesn't mean they aren't hurt.
Ok so which offense can you run that players can play all season and not get injured ?

Gtbowhunter90

In Black Bear Country
Contributing Writer
I understand we run the TO but ... I always cringe when we are constantly compared to Army, Navy, Air Force. I wonder what recruits think of that ...
AGREE! There's no comparison. I spoke to a UK football player from the town I live in, after the 2016 Bowl win. I asked him " What was it like playing defense against GT?" He said they are so fast especially on the edges and the Bback are total brusiers We have much better athletes than the Armed Service schools. Head to head, we would crush them 9 times out of 10

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
AGREE! There's no comparison. I spoke to a UK football player from the town I live in, after the 2016 Bowl win. I asked him " What was it like playing defense against GT?" He said they are so fast especially on the edges and the Bback are total brusiers We have much better athletes than the Armed Service schools. Head to head, we would crush them 9 times out of 10
(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)

I understand we run the TO but ... I always cringe when we are constantly compared to Army, Navy, Air Force. I wonder what recruits think of that ...

they think we run an old-style, service-academy offense. In the mind of most of today's HS recruits, it doesn't help us to be compared to the service academies.

NorthFultonJacket

Georgia Tech Fan
I hope you're wrong. CPJ is finally getting the resources he needs, so lets hope he turns it all around and can get back to winning again..

We have been recruiting in the 50-60 range for quite some time. I realize the argument will be...look at how we did in 2014. However we have not recruited well on the defensive side of the ball in a long time and our stats over that period have shown what results that leads to. I hope I’m VERY wrong as I’ve been a Tech fan since 1980 but I just don’t see us being any better than we were a year ago and could be worse with absolutely no real experience in the defensive backfield. We basically got torched defensively by the worst Tennessee team in a long time and by a Virginia club that was horrible offensively against everyone else. Until we get to the point where we aren’t recruiting against the likes of Furnan and Wofford last year will start becoming the norm unfortunately.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
If GT goes 4-8 or 5-7 this season Paul Johnson will be canned in December in my opinion

No, and I hope the Jackets never again throw away money on a payout. I hope he finishes out his contract, at least. That having been said, I expect a good season this year. Not saying 4-8 isn't possible, depending on breaks and injuries, but it isn't likely, IMO.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
No, and I hope the Jackets never again throw away money on a payout. I hope he finishes out his contract, at least. That having been said, I expect a good season this year. Not saying 4-8 isn't possible, depending on breaks and injuries, but it isn't likely, IMO.
I think GT wins 8-10 games myself and i was just saying what i thought would happen if they had a losing record.