Preview 2018: Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
IMHO.. not that it really matters, but I think the defense will be fine. I'm very excited to see what the new D looks like under CNW. My main concern is Kirvonte holding on to that damn ball lol he put it on the ground a ton last year, if he can hold the ball and TQM can hit atleast 50% of his passes, we go bowling. Might even sneak into the ACCCG. Who knows? But I'm staying optimistic..

Kirvonte fumbled a grand total of 4 times last year, I'd say that's holding on to the ball pretty well since he had 204 carries.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
I should say that he did much better the 2nd half of the year but it seemed to me, that he put it on the ground a good bit early, I can even remember CPJ pulling him out for that very reason. Either way, my previous comment stands.

He has 2 against Pitt in game 3, 2 in the remaining 8 games. Statistically 1 fumble for every 51 carries, I think any coach in the country would take that. Remember last year was his first year carrying the ball against collegiate competition. I'd say he did damn well. A greater concern is TQ making the right reads, distributing the ball properly and increasing his completion rate. I have zero worries about Kirvonte and I think TQ will take a large step in running the O this year.

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
He has 2 against Pitt in game 3, 2 in the remaining 8 games. Statistically 1 fumble for every 51 carries, I think any coach in the country would take that. Remember last year was his first year carrying the ball against collegiate competition. I'd say he did damn well. A greater concern is TQ making the right reads, distributing the ball properly and increasing his completion rate. I have zero worries about Kirvonte and I think TQ will take a large step in running the O this year.

I would just like to see all of our ball carriers cover the ball with two hands when they get into heavy traffic and when they anticipate being hit.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
I would just like to see all of our ball carriers cover the ball with two hands when they get into heavy traffic and when they anticipate being hit.

The B backs are certainly coached to do that since that's where they operate. Jerry Howard learned that lesson the hard way last year (even with a single fumble in 8 games he got pulled after his only one) :cool: As a rule Tech really doesn't have huge issue with B backs fumbling.

The one thing I have realized: When no one expects GT to do crud, we win. When people pick us to win, we tend to flop. I'm sure there are some actual numbers out there.

Note: This is a heavily-researched post that is extremely scientific

We seem to be better in even-numbered years too, esp. with beating the mutts. 08, 14, 16 were 3 of CPJ's best 4 years. 2009 was nice but we didn't beat the mutts because it was an odd-numbered year. See 2011, 2013, 2015, 2017.

it's 2018.

I guess no one but me is concerned about TM being able to make proper reads. IMHO that is as important, if not more important than improving the passing.

LOL - you aren't the only one. I've already said elsewhere that TM starting every game means no more than 6 wins. We have to be able to complete passes for this offense to really click. This is proven when you remember that the only 2 times in the CPJ Era that we've had a WR avg 3 catches/game were 2009 and 2014. This offense thrives when the D has to respect our ability to complete passes.

Frankly, I don't see TM giving us that respect. Certainly not based on 2017. He's a bit small in the pocket and isn't a good thrower of the football, mechanically. Hopefully these issues have been corrected but QBs under CPJ don't tend to become better at passing.

It's why I'm hopeful for more PT for Lucas - I think he's got a better arm.

Kirvonte fumbled a grand total of 4 times last year, I'd say that's holding on to the ball pretty well since he had 204 carries.

Actually, Fumbling once every 50 carries (Kirvonte's average) is a HUGE red flag for ball security. Anything below an avg. of 75 carries is considered to be dismal. Yeah, this is an NFL stat but hell's bells - you gotta hold on to the ball, kid! 4 fumbles in 204 carries is awful.

https://www.upi.com/2018-NFL-Draft-Fumble-rates-for-all-running-back-prospects/7311518380025/

Kirvonte needs to fix that. 1 fumble every 50 carries is horrible.

https://www.upi.com/2018-NFL-Draft-Fumble-rates-for-all-running-back-prospects/7311518380025/

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
Actually, Fumbling once every 50 carries (Kirvonte's average) is a HUGE red flag for ball security. Anything below an avg. of 75 carries is considered to be dismal. Yeah, this is an NFL stat but hell's bells - you gotta hold on to the ball, kid! 4 fumbles in 204 carries is awful.

Wow! I would have never believed those numbers! In any event 2 fumbles in the last 8 games eases my concerns!

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Kirvonte and Jerry are the least of our worries. Way down the list after: Offensive tackle, Defensive line, D backs, Special teams, and receiver. In fact, I would put them after quarterback and A back. I have confidence in our B backs, quarterback, guards, center, and that is about it. Maybe linebacker but with the whole sale changes on defense who knows?

slugboy

Staff member
IMHO.. not that it really matters, but I think the defense will be fine. I'm very excited to see what the new D looks like under CNW. My main concern is Kirvonte holding on to that damn ball lol he put it on the ground a ton last year, if he can hold the ball and TQM can hit atleast 50% of his passes, we go bowling. Might even sneak into the ACCCG. Who knows? But I'm staying optimistic..

If TQM hits 50% of his passes, we’re having an above average passing season. Going back to 2004, we’re usually under that—we were under 50% 11 years, and over for 3 (and not by much, but all three times under CPJ).

In contrast, UNC has mostly been in the mid to high 60% completion rate for years. We could be better.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
If TQM hits 50% of his passes, we’re having an above average passing season. Going back to 2004, we’re usually under that—we were under 50% 11 years, and over for 3 (and not by much, but all three times under CPJ).

In contrast, UNC has mostly been in the mid to high 60% completion rate for years. We could be better.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If Tech threw 5 yards passes or slip screens then the completion% would mirror UNC but that's not what Tech does now is it?

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
Here's the College Sports Madness 2018 Georgia Tech football preview. They don't think GT will be going bowling in 2018 because they think the games against South Florida and Georgia will be too difficult:banghead::vomit:

http://www.collegesportsmadness.com/article/16355

I think if Georgia Tech doesn't go bowling in 2018 that Georgia Tech could very well have a new head coach in 2019.