Press Conference at 3:30pm ET

shakim3

Jolly Good Fellow
Synopsis of the Important Points he made:

1.) He believes GT is a Gold Mine and a national brand. Wants to attack Atlanta and build a fence around the area but only if they are a fit for the school. He wants to take advantage of the national brand and recruit nationally.

2.) He met with the team but just got cleared to speak with the 3 recruits before the press conference. Said in the nicest way possible the cupboard is dry and he needs bodies. Has been talking with Gregory and Hewitt. I'm not sure why. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ [Said Gregory is one of the best basketball minds in the country].

3.) This will take time (said at least 10 times) and to not expect results overnight.

4.) Said he believes GT can win a national championship with the right players

5.) Said he will be using past GT players and coaches to help build the program [This is huge, as Gregory barely did this]. Wants to make a GT until a community school and to use the school as a city unifier.

6.) Wants to play at a fast tempo. He has always tried to lead the nation in scoring. Talked about hustle plays (no mention of defense lol).

7.) He wants to be very accessible to the media. "This is not my program" [Nice] He answers all messages and wants to use the media as a tool in recruiting and building up the school [I like this]

8.) He said something along the lines of [in reference to his wife] "She said to stay away from me because I want more kids and she doesn't want more kids".

This is very important because it means he is torqued and loaded 24/7 and will bring the energy...

9.) He's not going to rush hires for assistants. He said he will be on his own for a while. Hiring is an art/process and will work closely with Bobinski to hire.

10.) Bobinski said he first met Pastner face to face in Houston for the process. If true he could have been higher up the list than we anticipated.

11.) Talked highly of Atlanta grassroots and AAU basketball and wants the coaches of those teams to be part of the GT team and culture. "This is your program as well". I think this also tells me he will make sure his assistants have connections in this area. Also said: "This program isn't about the head coach". [Stressed this point a lot]

12.) It got awkward when people started asking about memphis.

13.) Coach Cal called Pastner and said how great Bobinski is and how great of a job GT is. Spoke for 45 mins. has 900 texts and will respond to all.

He both impressed me and annoyed me at the same time lol.
Let's see what happens. Talked to one of the members who votes for him and she mentioned there are "two sides to every story" and lots of things behind the scenes we didn't see and they are all very excited about the hire FWIW.

ChasonBaller

on Pastner Polo watch
I think he looks like James Madsen...anyways, in the press conference he was saying all the right things. The only thing that bothered me was wheb he said he is fine with doing it by himself for a little while.

okiemon

Helluva Engineer
Pretty good look, but I think Butler's Holtmann was the "Big Fish." I got the feeling that Pastner was pursuing the conversation both before and at Houston.

I suppose that either of them could have been the big fish, but I assumed it was someone even more well-known, like Matta.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I suppose that either of them could have been the big fish, but I assumed it was someone even more well-known, like Matta.

I think I saw some pretty solid reporting that he went hard after Holtmann and only speculation about Matta.

okiemon

Helluva Engineer
I'm starting to drink the Kool-Aid hanging out in here. I need to go to one of the other threads where everyone is pissed off and attacking CJP and MBob.

SwarmArmy

Ramblin' Wreck
Synopsis of the Important Points he made:

1.) He believes GT is a Gold Mine and a national brand. Wants to attack Atlanta and build a fence around the area but only if they are a fit for the school. He wants to take advantage of the national brand and recruit nationally.

2.) He met with the team but just got cleared to speak with the 3 recruits before the press conference. Said in the nicest way possible the cupboard is dry and he needs bodies. Has been talking with Gregory and Hewitt. I'm not sure why. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ [Said Gregory is one of the best basketball minds in the country].

3.) This will take time (said at least 10 times) and to not expect results overnight.

4.) Said he believes GT can win a national championship with the right players

5.) Said he will be using past GT players and coaches to help build the program [This is huge, as Gregory barely did this]. Wants to make a GT until a community school and to use the school as a city unifier.

6.) Wants to play at a fast tempo. He has always tried to lead the nation in scoring. Talked about hustle plays (no mention of defense lol).

7.) He wants to be very accessible to the media. "This is not my program" [Nice] He answers all messages and wants to use the media as a tool in recruiting and building up the school [I like this]

8.) He said something along the lines of [in reference to his wife] "She said to stay away from me because I want more kids and she doesn't want more kids".

This is very important because it means he is torqued and loaded 24/7 and will bring the energy...

9.) He's not going to rush hires for assistants. He said he will be on his own for a while. Hiring is an art/process and will work closely with Bobinski to hire.

10.) Bobinski said he first met Pastner face to face in Houston for the process. If true he could have been higher up the list than we anticipated.

11.) Talked highly of Atlanta grassroots and AAU basketball and wants the coaches of those teams to be part of the GT team and culture. "This is your program as well". I think this also tells me he will make sure his assistants have connections in this area. Also said: "This program isn't about the head coach". [Stressed this point a lot]

12.) It got awkward when people started asking about memphis.

13.) Coach Cal called Pastner and said how great Bobinski is and how great of a job GT is. Spoke for 45 mins. has 900 texts and will respond to all.

He both impressed me and annoyed me at the same time lol.
Let's see what happens. Talked to one of the members who votes for him and she mentioned there are "two sides to every story" and lots of things behind the scenes we didn't see and they are all very excited about the hire FWIW.

You forgot this point "He wants to make more babies, but his wife doesn't".

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
How quickly folks forget. If you want a reminder, today sounded eerily similar to 5 years ago: Introducing Brian Gregory.

Listen until the 9 minute mark... Rich tradition, need to reconnect with former players, academic prestige, great recruiting territory/"need to protect home turf", best conference in basketball, make the city of Atlanta proud, national product, etc.

Main nuance was slightly more emphasis on grass roots recruiting, which isn't surprising given his reputation. The Memphis fans celebrating Pastner's departure predicted those talking points. The other difference appeared to be a focus on controlling the narrative around his time at Memphis. Style of play we already know about.

Ultimately, this doesn't move the needle for me either direction. I'm waiting to see what happens the next couple weeks with the staff, recruiting, and contract details.

cyptomcat

Ramblin' Wreck
How quickly folks forget. If you want a reminder, today sounded eerily similar to 5 years ago: Introducing Brian Gregory.

Listen until the 9 minute mark... Rich tradition, need to reconnect with former players, academic prestige, great recruiting territory/"need to protect home turf", best conference in basketball, make the city of Atlanta proud, national product, etc.

Main nuance was slightly more emphasis on grass roots recruiting, which isn't surprising given his reputation. The Memphis fans celebrating Pastner's departure predicted those talking points. The other difference appeared to be a focus on controlling the narrative around his time at Memphis. Style of play we already know about.

Ultimately, this doesn't move the needle for me either direction. I'm waiting to see what happens the next couple weeks with the staff, recruiting, and contract details.
It's probably about 90% same as any other coach introduction. It's just stuff new coaches say...

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member

cyptomcat

Ramblin' Wreck

VPLReyy.png