Press Conference at 3:30pm ET

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Hewitt kept GT relevant with putting players in the league and getting to the tourney.
I'd talk with him too..
I'll say this about Josh, he's well connected when it comes to the coaching tree. Very polished.

Interesting post just made on the AJC blogs ---

"GT fans- If you value integrity at all, you should applaud this hire. As a Memphis fan, I feel relief in that Josh is getting a chance at a fresh start. He got much more criticism than he deserved. I think he will ultimately by successful. Too bad it won't be at Memphis. Needless to say, my view is in the minority. Go Tigers! Best of luck Josh! Your true fans will still be rooting for you!"

DvilleJacket

Helluva Engineer
I really liked what I heard. We have to sell the city to the players, football and basketball. If we can keep just a few of the elite players in state we should be rolling.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
Didn't necessarily win me with the press conference, but generally had a good attitude, good energy, and said most of the right things. Definitely tried hard to set initial expectations low by saying "it will take time" and "this is a building process" about 10 times each. (As he probably should be the way.)

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
My initial thoughts (and everyone already knows how I feel about this hire in general)

Came in very well prepared and ready.
He had his talking points and came back to them again and again.
The comments about Atlanta, the community and the grassroots basketball will play very well.
Very positive, said only nice things about anyone.

interesting that they said they first talked in Houston at the Final Four. I suspect this was the 'big fish' MBob was talking about earlier this week. (I suspect this is accurate, both mentioned it, and MBob even mentioned that Josh was one of the first people to express interest in the job - that doesn't surprise me).

I think he did as well as he possibly could for an introductory press conference. The questions were pretty softball and he handled them easily.

I'll be shocked if he doesn't have at least 1 asst this weekend, but I suspect the whole staff might take a week or two.

Definately level setting by both MBob and Josh on it going to take some time, but they did a good job of doing that without throwing Gregory under the bus.

in the end the proof will be in the pudding. Can he hire the right assts. Where are we in 3 yrs?
I'm still somewhat worried about this hire, but I will certainly support the new coach and his staff and will be their opening night.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
My initial thoughts (and everyone already knows how I feel about this hire in general)

Came in very well prepared and ready.
He had his talking points and came back to them again and again.
The comments about Atlanta, the community and the grassroots basketball will play very well.
Very positive, said only nice things about anyone.

interesting that they said they first talked in Houston at the Final Four. I suspect this was the 'big fish' MBob was talking about earlier this week. (I suspect this is accurate, both mentioned it, and MBob even mentioned that Josh was one of the first people to express interest in the job - that doesn't surprise me).

I think he did as well as he possibly could for an introductory press conference. The questions were pretty softball and he handled them easily.

I'll be shocked if he doesn't have at least 1 asst this weekend, but I suspect the whole staff might take a week or two.

Definately level setting by both MBob and Josh on it going to take some time, but they did a good job of doing that without throwing Gregory under the bus.

in the end the proof will be in the pudding. Can he hire the right assts. Where are we in 3 yrs?
I'm still somewhat worried about this hire, but I will certainly support the new coach and his staff and will be their opening night.

Pretty good look, but I think Butler's Holtmann was the "Big Fish." I got the feeling that Pastner was pursuing the conversation both before and at Houston.