Preseason Accolades

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Athlon: Ranking the ACC Running Back Tandems for 2017
2. Georgia Tech: Dedrick Mills and Clinton Lynch

The Yellow Jackets lost two out of last year’s top four rushers, but coach Paul Johnson’s option attack isn’t going to miss a beat on the ground. Mills is a breakout candidate after rushing for 771 yards and 12 touchdowns in nine contests last fall. Mills finished last season on a high note by gashing Kentucky for 169 yards and a score in the TaxSlayer Bowl victory. Lynch has been a big-play threat for Johnson over the last two years, averaging a healthy 11.2 yards per rush on 37 attempts last fall. The Yellow Jackets have additional support coming from senior J.J. Green and junior Qua Searcy.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Hummer: Tech right where it wants to be – discounted by media
There was the surest indication yet that this team has a chance to contend when it was selected by the ACC media to finish a modest third in an entire division looking for a quarterback, the Coastal. For the analytics of preseason predictions clearly show that the fortunes of Paul Johnson’s Jackets are inversely proportionate to the guesswork of July.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Paul Johnson among 19 coaches on Dodd Trophy watch list
Georgia Tech coach Paul Johnson is among 19 coaches announced Wednesday on the watch list for the 2017 Dodd Trophy.

Named after Bobby Dodd, the winningest coach in Georgia Tech history, the Dodd Trophy celebrates the head coach of a team that enjoys success on the gridiron while also stressing the importance of scholarship, leadership and integrity.

smathis30

Ramblin' Wreck

Not sure if this fits here or not, but Corey Griffin getting some recognition. They usually will post pics of the 3 best players coming back on each team (according to their rankings) but they only posted 8/14 teams in the ACC, so I wonder who they say the best 3 returners are

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
AJ may be great, but scheme keeps him away from action. Griffin got a chance to move closer to the action by year end.
Well in that case maybe the scheme needs to be changed. AJ is one of our top two or three players and needs to be in on the action as much as possible.
How can you say

"Tech coach Paul Johnson has to find a new starting quarterback, but his team is a legitimate contender to win the ACC Coastal Division in 2017. Johnson has already won four division titles during his tenure, with the last coming in 2014."

Legitimate contender to win the Coastal but have them ranked behind at least 10-15 G5 teams.

Is the ACC Coastal really that crappy in their view?

I don't think it is "crappy" necessarily it just does not have the star power that the Atlantic has. The Atlantic has a Heisman winner, the defending national champion Tigers, and the usual gang of thugs from FSU that are more than capable of winning the whole thing. What do we have? A team with a quirky offense (Tech), a former national power trying to regain its footing (Miami) a team with an empty trophy case that has some talent but seems to come up short every year for some reason (VIPSU) , a basketball school straining to hear the sound of round ball in the gym in October (Duke), and poor old Pitt that hasn't been relevant in a generation.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
Here is why I love GT football.

I can see us imploding this year like the Orlando guy says. Jordan's injury doesn't heal and we have QB roulette, Mills is not available, couple of A Back injuries. New FG kicker doesn't work out and Special Teams take a big step back costing us a couple of early games. Pitt beats us late again because of turnovers in game #4, and we start to press and brain fart our way into a loss to UNC in game #5, both at home. Miami and Clemson boat race us on the road, and suddenly we have to win out to make a bowl. Any Tech fan old enough to remember seeing Bud Carson on the sideline just suffered flashbacks and PTSD reading this. The wounds never heal.

I can see us death marching UT into an orange mud puddle. Seriously, how are they going to stop us with a QB that runs like Laskey, a BB that runs like Dwyer, the best set of AB's since Johnson's been here, and an OL that has a couple of guards that will be All-ACC. When UT has never seen a CPJ TO? Ask Miss St. Pitt, VT, and UNC are shells of what they were last year. Miami won't get two gift TD's this year. Clemson was lucky to catch us early last year. This year they play us after the leaves have changed like in 2014. And can anyone really think a uga team that is 4th in the SEC East is going to take an undefeated Tech team in Atlanta?

I assign equal probabilities to both scenarios.p
But the main thing I am looking forward to this year is playing uga, something I used to dread. I think dread has moved 90 miles east of Atlanta.

Tech is habitually characterized as one of the most difficult teams to handicap but half the Coastal is seemingly Jekyll and Hyde as well. Miami is an enigma, Virginia Tech still has an empty trophy case but is a nightmare to play against because of Coach Foster, Pitt has just enough players to be dangerous, Duke is well coached if nothing else, Virginia....well they used to be good anyway. UNC always has talent and generally squanders it. The whole division ought to be a Sigmund Freud wet dream.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
Tech is habitually characterized as one of the most difficult teams to handicap but half the Coastal is seemingly Jekyll and Hyde as well. Miami is an enigma, Virginia Tech still has an empty trophy case but is a nightmare to play against because of Coach Foster, Pitt has just enough players to be dangerous, Duke is well coached if nothing else, Virginia....well they used to be good anyway. UNC always has talent and generally squanders it. The whole division ought to be a Sigmund Freud wet dream.
Interesting choice of words. Tell me about your relationship with your Father. ;)

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
Interesting choice of words. Tell me about your relationship with your Father. ;)

My father class of 1950, textile engineering was difficult to deal with at times but loved his family, his country, and Georgia Tech. 1962 upset of Alabama? I was there courtesy of my dad. 1965 upset of Texas Tech in the Gator Bowl? My dad and I were there. 1966 upset of 8th ranked Tennessee? ditto. We go back a long way. The last thing we did together before he died was watch the 2014 win over Georgia. He loved every minute of it. I know you were talking about Freudian psychoanalysis but talking about Tech football is more fun.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
My father class of 1950, textile engineering was difficult to deal with at times but loved his family, his country, and Georgia Tech. 1962 upset of Alabama? I was there courtesy of my dad. 1965 upset of Texas Tech in the Gator Bowl? My dad and I were there. 1966 upset of 8th ranked Tennessee? ditto. We go back a long way. The last thing we did together before he died was watch the 2014 win over Georgia. He loved every minute of it. I know you were talking about Freudian psychoanalysis but talking about Tech football is more fun.
It seems we are contemporaries. Certainly our Dads were. Did Sideways attend any of your Dad's classes?

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
It seems we are contemporaries. Certainly our Dads were. Did Sideways attend any of your Dad's classes?

Yep. For those who are not familiar with the ancient history. Sideways was a mongrel dog that took up residence on the Hill during the late 1940s. He was called "Sideways" because he had been injured by a car and walked, well sideways. At any rate, his favorite spot was outside the old French Textile building near the west stands of Grant Field. Many a time, my dad would come out of classes in that building and Sideways was there to greet students released from yet another ordeal of whatever it was textile engineering students did in those days. His grave is still located (last time I happened to see it) on the Hill.