Pre-Season Projected Starters

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
He will be on a very short leash, CGC doesn't have time this year for development with a 3 yr starter. Hopefully he will start the year off strong and cement himself as the undisputed starter. if not, we will find out what we got in our new additions this offseason in Gibson and Clemson transfer.
It's do or die season for this staff. No time to develop a young QB for the future. They will have to stay with Sims unless he is injured or the season is a lost cause. The kid from Akron may be first off the bench early but the transfer from Clemson may be seeing time later in the season if Sims falters. P-node stayed with him when he should have been pulled too many times. I'm not knocking Sims. He is actually the key to any real success we have this year. He now has experience and all the tools. Just needs to execute.

Techfan02

Ramblin' Wreck
It's do or die season for this staff. No time to develop a young QB for the future. They will have to stay with Sims unless he is injured or the season is a lost cause. The kid from Akron may be first off the bench early but the transfer from Clemson may be seeing time later in the season if Sims falters. P-node stayed with him when he should have been pulled too many times. I'm not knocking Sims. He is actually the key to any real success we have this year. He now has experience and all the tools. Just needs to execute.
From what I could see during the spring game sims had better passes but gibson is the most acurate but his athleticism is what may give sims the edge if he can click. As for that clemson QB idk haven't seen him enough.

Oakland

Helluva Engineer
Don't forget about the 4 star QB we signed out of Alabama last year. I believe he enrolled early and practiced this spring. I don't care who the QB is as long as they win, be it a true freshman or a junior.
  • Zach Pyron 4 star freshman - this guy might surprise some people.
  • Taisun Phommachanh 4 star (Soph)
  • Zach Gibson high 3 star (Soph) could be a winner.
  • Jeff Sims (3rd year coming up) the experience.
  • Two walk-ons

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
On Sims: I think it will all come down to how often he is allowed to run. When he runs we are more successful; when he sits in the pocket, we aren't. If there is anything the last three years have taught us (or should have) that is it. I might add that if he runs more the RBs will have more of a chance.

But … the main obstacle remains: the OL is too inexperienced. Paradoxically, I think that will mean more designed runs and option plays with Sims involved. And - probably - more success.

Gtech50

Ramblin' Wreck
I’m actually not concerned at all with the QB room this year. I think Sims will be pushed more with the elevated competition and that will be huge for him along with Weinke/Long. Sims always seems like the guy that performs best when he feels the heat from his competition. His first fall camp and start at FSU showed he can perform in that environment. Also his performance against UNC was a statement that he was still the guy after Yates had started taking over when Sims got hurt. I think Weinke will require more accountability and focus which will help Sims a lot. If Sims doesn’t work out I feel good about our backups too for the first time under Collins.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Don't forget about the 4 star QB we signed out of Alabama last year. I believe he enrolled early and practiced this spring. I don't care who the QB is as long as they win, be it a true freshman or a junior.
  • Zach Pyron 4 star freshman - this guy might surprise some people.
  • Taisun Phommachanh 4 star (Soph)
  • Zach Gibson high 3 star (Soph) could be a winner.
  • Jeff Sims (3rd year coming up) the experience.
  • Two walk-ons
Pyron was held out of the spring game due to some minor injuries if I recall. He does appear to have some great potential though.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
I’m actually not concerned at all with the QB room this year. I think Sims will be pushed more with the elevated competition and that will be huge for him along with Weinke/Long. Sims always seems like the guy that performs best when he feels the heat from his competition. His first fall camp and start at FSU showed he can perform in that environment. Also his performance against UNC was a statement that he was still the guy after Yates had started taking over when Sims got hurt. I think Weinke will require more accountability and focus which will help Sims a lot. If Sims doesn’t work out I feel good about our backups too for the first time under Collins.
Im kind of the opposite. If Gibson is as awful as others are saying then our backup situation is pretty worrisome, and we have an injury prone starter. I know others want Sims to run more, but we may want to pump the brakes on that a bit. He needs to stay out there more than anything.