Potential Head Coach Hires

Status
Not open for further replies.

heyhellowhatsup

Jolly Good Fellow
Why didn't we hear of another school that had interest in Mike Locksley? GT is only 200 miles from Tuscaloosa and we didn't even give him a look? Only Maryland interviewed him. The guy must be trash.

Oh yeah, I forgot. Locksley had spent quite a number of years at Maryland and understood the culture and layout of the program. He was an obviously good fit and the expected hire. Just because it wasn't reported that they were looking at Collins doesn't mean he's not a good candidate.

Seriously, why do you feel that Collins would be a bad hire? I can understand if he's not your first choice, but all indicators seem to show he's a great fit. His strengths (defense, recruiting, program culture/brand) directly correlate to our weaknesses.

What the hell was the issue with our program culture under CPJ? Great APR, limited legal issues, and most players really liked him and played hard..

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
I wanted Elliott but Collins makes a lot of sense. He can recruit. He’s knows the SEC. He comes with a Saban & O’Leary pedigree. He knows GT. He knows Georgia. He’s been a head coach with a moderate success. He knows defense. He can recruit and probably will be bringing recruiters with him. Did I say he can recruit.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Pretty sure Collins made 575k his last year at MSU, and made 600k at Florida his first year. (Seeing some different numbers reported) If those numbers are accurate, that’s not a massive jump and more lateral than most want to admit. I admit, I’ve taken us into the weeds. I’ll just say there’s a reason that Collins seems to have been no one’s first choice on this board. There’s a reason for that, whether folks like @TaxJacket want to admit it or not. @Ibeeballin
I can't speak for him but even at the same money to go to Florida from MSU would be a step up.

TheTechGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
I wanted Elliott but Collins makes a lot of sense. He can recruit. He’s knows the SEC. He comes with a Saban & O’Leary pedigree. He knows GT. He knows Georgia. He’s been a head coach with a moderate success. He knows defense. He can recruit and probably will be bringing recruiters with him. Did I say he can recruit.
The Saban pedigree? He was at Alabama one year, not as a coach, a decade ago during Saban's worst year.

Cam

Helluva Engineer
What the hell was the issue with our program culture under CPJ? Great APR, limited legal issues, and most players really liked him and played hard..
Culture wasn't the right word, sorry. I meant that our brand has not been particularly appealing in recent years. Our culture certainly didn't hurt us and CPJ left a great foundation of good kids for the next coach. But developing a "fun" identity or reputation that is appealing to recruits seems to be a strong suit of Collins.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Culture wasn't the right word, sorry. I meant that our brand has not been particularly appealing in recent years. Our culture certainly didn't hurt us and CPJ left a great foundation of good kids for the next coach. But developing a "fun" identity or reputation that is appealing to recruits seems to be a strong suit of Collins.

I hope the "fun" identity is enough.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
Pretty sure Collins made 575k his last year at MSU, and made 600k at Florida his first year. (Seeing some different numbers reported) If those numbers are accurate, that’s not a massive jump and more lateral than most want to admit. I admit, I’ve taken us into the weeds. I’ll just say there’s a reason that Collins seems to have been no one’s first choice on this board. There’s a reason for that, whether folks like @TaxJacket want to admit it or not. @Ibeeballin

He was my choice. In 2013.

TowerMtnJacket

Georgia Tech Fan
u really looking to have a DJ(disc jockey) at practice?
u really looking to have a DJ(disc jockey) at practice?
I don’t think he had an actual DJ at practice, it looks like he had a couple of “hype guys” on the sideline. I think GC understands what high school and college students like. I think that would be a breath of fresh air, as long as there is substance behind the scenes.

strong90

Jolly Good Fellow
I don't get why so many think that Tstan has to interview a lot of people before he pulls the trigger. He already knows who's out there and what they offer. Besides, they will all say the right things at an interview.
What we know is that Tstan has said that the new coach will be:
"someone who...
1) knows who they are;
2) knows who we are; and
3) understands that Georgia Tech isn’t a “plug-and-play” situation..."

There are very few coaches out there that meet those criteria. After courtesy interviews with current staff and former players, it's a very short list indeed.

You don't have to talk to every girl to know which one you want to take to prom. But you had better ask her before somebody else does.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
I don't get why so many think that Tstan has to interview a lot of people before he pulls the trigger. He already knows who's out there and what they offer. Besides, they will all say the right things at an interview.
What we know is that Tstan has said that the new coach will be:
"someone who...
1) knows who they are;
2) knows who we are; and
3) understands that Georgia Tech isn’t a “plug-and-play” situation..."

There are very few coaches out there that meet those criteria. After courtesy interviews with current staff and former players, it's a very short list indeed.

You don't have to talk to every girl to know which one you want to take to prom. But you had better ask her before somebody else does.

K-State, Liberty, and App State are not asking him, and he would not go if they did, and those are the only jobs left.

ramble_on92

Georgia Tech Fan
I don’t think he had an actual DJ at practice, it looks like he had a couple of “hype guys” on the sideline. I think GC understands what high school and college students like. I think that would be a breath of fresh air, as long as there is substance behind the scenes.

Had a DJ on scholly, homie. 2:10

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*

He made a $1 at UF https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...ball-coaches-salaries-geoff-collins/87535020/

Status
Not open for further replies.