Potential Head Coach Hires

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheTechGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
Only reason i don’t believe in your theory is because he hasn’t made many, or if any, lateral moves in his career. To suggest all it would take is a USC or Kentucky offering 4-5mil for him to leave doesn’t pass the smell test. It’s not his MO
He jumped from a good MSU program in 2014 to a Florida program coming off the Muschamp years. A lot of people called that a lateral move, though some of that appeared to be due to Mullen trashing Collins publicly in the media due to defensive struggles.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
I know that Maryland did not. I have not seen Collins linked to any other schools, have you?
I have not, but that still doesn’t answer the other part of my post. Did you hear anyone else going after Satterfield? Mack? The guy Maryland hired? There are so many coaches it only makes sense to me that some schools will get a guy who others were not looking at. JMO

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
He jumped from a good MSU program in 2014 to a Florida program coming off the Muschamp years. A lot of people called that a lateral move, though some of that appeared to be due to Mullen trashing Collins publicly in the media due to defensive struggles.

In no galaxy, going from Starkvegas to the Swamp is considered a lateral move, but I stated “not many” for this simple little nugget here

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
Don’t even argue with the guy. He doesn’t want Collins and is spewing whatever hate he can come up with.

It’s fine. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I didn’t put Collins #1 on my list bc some were still holding a grudge from 10yrs ago over taking a TE to Bama when our offense didn’t use TEs and other things. No one knows what will happen but history has a way of repeating its and his track record as a recruiter is A1. He has showed he can stabilize and compete as a HC. How treated me and other guys back in 06-07 is icing on the cake.

TheTaxJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
It’s fine. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I didn’t put Collins #1 on my list bc some were still holding a grudge from 10yrs ago over taking a TE to Bama when our offense didn’t use TEs and other things. No one knows what will happen but history has a way of repeating its and his track record as a recruiter is A1. He has showed he can stabilize and compete as a HC. How treated me and other guys back in 06-07 is icing on the cake.

You would know! Thanks for the info!

TheTechGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
Pretty sure Collins made 575k his last year at MSU, and made 600k at Florida his first year. (Seeing some different numbers reported) If those numbers are accurate, that’s not a massive jump and more lateral than most want to admit. I admit, I’ve taken us into the weeds. I’ll just say there’s a reason that Collins seems to have been no one’s first choice on this board. There’s a reason for that, whether folks like @TaxJacket want to admit it or not. @Ibeeballin

Last edited:

Cam

Helluva Engineer
Regardless of your feelings on Maryland, the statement stands unless you know of another school that has interest in Collins...
Why didn't we hear of another school that had interest in Mike Locksley? GT is only 200 miles from Tuscaloosa and we didn't even give him a look? Only Maryland interviewed him. The guy must be trash.

Oh yeah, I forgot. Locksley had spent quite a number of years at Maryland and understood the culture and layout of the program. He was an obviously good fit and the expected hire. Just because it wasn't reported that they were looking at Collins doesn't mean he's not a good candidate.

Seriously, why do you feel that Collins would be a bad hire? I can understand if he's not your first choice, but all indicators seem to show he's a great fit. His strengths (defense, recruiting, program culture/brand) directly match to our weaknesses.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Pretty sure Collins made 575k his last year at MSU, and made 600k at Florida his first year. (Seeing some different numbers reported) If those numbers are accurate, that’s not a massive jump and more lateral than most want to admit. I admit, I’ve taken us into the weeds. I’ll just say there’s a reason that Collins seems to have been no one’s first choice on this board. There’s a reason for that, whether folks like @TaxJacket want to admit it or not. @Ibeeballin
I think Coillins has been a top pick for many people, me being one of them.

TheTechGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
Why didn't we hear of another school that had interest in Mike Locksley? GT is only 200 miles from Tuscaloosa and we didn't even give him a look? Only Maryland interviewed him. The guy must be trash.

Oh yeah, I forgot. Locksley had spent quite a number of years at Maryland and understood the culture and layout of the program. He was an obviously good fit and the expected hire. Just because it wasn't reported that they were looking at Collins doesn't mean he's not a good candidate.

Seriously, why do you feel that Collins would be a bad hire? I can understand if he's not your first choice, but all indicators seem to show he's a great fit. His strengths (defense, recruiting, program culture/brand) directly correlate to our weaknesses.
I have answered the Collins question 10 times in this thread, go look at my old posts.

Locksley was also a bad hire. He was horrible at New Mexico and bad as Maryland's interim. What does it say about Collins that he couldn't get noticed over a dude who's head coaching record is 3-31?

Status
Not open for further replies.