Potential Head Coach Hires

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheTechGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
I'd say UCF made the right choice. Losing out to Heupel doesn't mean you would've been a bad hire in that case.

Rhule lost to Army in 2016 when Army wasn't particularly great, probably not as good as Buffalo is this year.

Neal Brown went 4-8 his first year at Troy. I don't know a lot about him, but admit he's got a good resume. I imagine having no Tech connections might make TStan leery of him.
Your first statement is pure speculation.

To your second statement, I don't understand your point in denoting one of Rhule's bad losses when Collins lost to 5-6 FCS Villanova this year.

To your third statement, Neal Brown has had extended success since his first year at Troy. Collins has not had successes beyond his predecessor at Temple.

GTjunkie

Jolly Good Fellow
An option would have been Scott Satterfield until Stansbury got schooled by U of L.

Off the top of my head, other candidates would include: Neal Brown, Jeff Monken, and Bryan Harsin (personal favorite that no one at Tech seems to know). Harsin makes $1.5m at Boise and has had 9 or more wins every year for the last 6 years.
I like Harsin a lot. Plus, he voted the dwags 7th or 8th in the final coaches poll.

Deleted member 2897

The tweets I read about Ken's having been offered seem to have started around 8am yesterday. Who here thinks Todd offered Ken at 7 or 8am yesterday? Wouldn't he have been offered at the end of business the previous day? Or I suppose maybe he was given a verbal, the paperwork came over first thing in the morning, and then he had until end of business today to accept.

Anyway, I highly doubt he accepts the offer at 9pm tonight. So if nothing leaks in the next say 3 hours, the odds in my opinion or high he ain't coming here.

TheTechGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
The tweets I read about Ken's having been offered seem to have started around 8am yesterday. Who here thinks Todd offered Ken at 7 or 8am yesterday? Wouldn't he have been offered at the end of business the previous day? Or I suppose maybe he was given a verbal, the paperwork came over first thing in the morning, and then he had until end of business today to accept.

Anyway, I highly doubt he accepts the offer at 9pm tonight. So if nothing leaks in the next say 3 hours, the odds in my opinion or high he ain't coming here.
If KW is hired, I'll be organizing an additional thread to revolt against the hire, Tennessee style. All are welcome to join.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
So Collins' biggest accomplishment as a head coach is that he managed some "down" years at Temple?

Not what i said. What i said is at schools like temple and tech u have em and coaches have to survive em.

But he is more accomplished as a head coach in college than richt was before uga. Or smart. Or gol before tech. Or fridge before Md. or whisenhunt period. Or lincoln riley before oklahoma. Or jimbo fisher before fsu. Or dabo before clemson. Or dan mullen before miss st. Or gus malzahn before auburn.

And about as accomplished as urban meyer before utah.

You see. When urban took the utah job, after only 2 years as a hc, there was a poster named theuteguy that said the same thing.

And the thing of it is. Is no one knows how he or collins will turn out. Its about fit, asst coaches, coaching talent, school support.

Theuteguy didnt know. And thetechguy doesnt know. And certainly i dont know. But what i do know is all the above is true. And collins seems like he could be a good fit. And as a result i am looking less for head coaching track record, as all those school above, and looking for fit

Sometimes guys with hc track records know one way and dont adapt. Or cant. And its a bad fit.

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer
Your first statement is pure speculation.

To your second statement, I don't understand your point in denoting one of Rhule's bad losses when Collins lost to 5-6 FCS Villanova this year.

To your third statement, Neal Brown has had extended success since his first year at Troy. Collins has not had successes beyond his predecessor at Temple.
12-0 isn't "pure speculation".

Brown lost to 6-6 Liberty this year, and 3-9 South Alabama last year. Regional rival, very similar to the Villanova loss. It happens. The AAC is a higher level of competition from the Sun Belt also. Two can cherry pick.

Third, this is your pure speculation. What kind of situation did he inherit? How much talent had graduated? What's the level of competition? App St and Ga Southern don't compare to UCF, Cincinnati, Houston and USF. Again, in the 2nd year, 7-1 is a better record in conference than Rhule had in his 2nd year. Nick Saban went a pedestrian 6-6 his 1st year at Bama. Two years prior, his predecessor had gone 10-2.

Last edited:

Deleted member 2897

If KW is hired, I'll be organizing an additional thread to revolt against the hire, Tennessee style. All are welcome to join.

If Ken is hired, I respectfully petition the Admins on this board to block the Football thread from having any posts or comments for 3 months.

TheTechGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
12-0 isn't "pure speculation".

Brown lost to 6-6 Liberty this year, and 3-9 South Alabama last year. It happens. The AAC is a higher level of competition from the Sun Belt also. Two can cherry pick.

Third, this is your pure speculation. What kind of situation did he inherit? How much talent had graduated? What's the level of competition? App St and Ga Southern don't compare to UCF, Cincinnati, Houston and USF. Again, in the 2nd year, 7-1 is a better record in conference than Rhule had in his 2nd year. Nick Saban went a pedestrian 6-6 his 1st year at Bama.
Wow, you're cherry picking all over the place to spin for Collins. You're now comparing him to Saban? Are you a friend of his? The guy is not the best candidate, plain and simple.

IEEEWreck

Ramblin' Wreck
You could always bypass all the miserable speculation and head to AJC.com and hit refresh every minute.
I mean, yeah, sure. But we could also build castles on the thin air in other directions too.

For example, I hear that the ECE and CS schools are collaborating to train an AI model on every down Bobby Dodd ever played. He will, of course, require no salary at all, and ECE and ME will build a robot body and card table for it to sit at during games.

Rumor has it that MechaDodd will be a recruiting beast based solely on the sheer quantity of information it can rip from social media and process for individual recruits and their families.

LawTalkin Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow

The alleged 48 hours for Whiz has to be up no later than 6 pm today (and really before). Chernoff mentioned his text at about 6:00 pm on Monday evening (I recall because I was in my car heading to Lowes for an extension cord for the Xmas lights). The flight referenced had to before the text and maybe even in the am., from Pittsburgh. The end is near for the KW suspense.

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer
Wow, you're cherry picking all over the place to spin for Collins. You're now comparing him to Saban? Are you a friend of his? The guy is not the best candidate, plain and simple.
Why are you so dead set against him? Did he kick your puppy? Give you a swirly in high school? I voted for Tony Elliot on the other thread, but I've warmed to Collins. I wouldn't be disappointed with Neal Brown, looking at his record, but there's arguments to be made against him. Georgia Tech would be the moon to him, for one thing. And as far as Harsin goes, you want to talk about a job where all you have to do is put it in auto pilot after 3 or 4 other coaches won before you- that's Boise State.

TheTechGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
Not what i said. What i said is at schools like temple and tech u have em and coaches have to survive em.

But he is more accomplished as a head coach in college than richt was before uga. Or smart. Or gol before tech. Or fridge before Md. or whisenhunt period. Or lincoln riley before oklahoma. Or jimbo fisher before fsu. Or dabo before clemson. Or dan mullen before miss st. Or gus malzahn before auburn.

And about as accomplished as urban meyer before utah.

You see. When urban took the utah job, after only 2 years as a hc, there was a poster named theuteguy that said the same thing.

And the thing of it is. Is no one knows how he or collins will turn out. Its about fit, asst coaches, coaching talent, school support.

Theuteguy didnt know. And thetechguy doesnt know. And certainly i dont know. But what i do know is all the above is true. And collins seems like he could be a good fit. And as a result i am looking less for head coaching track record, as all those school above, and looking for fit

Sometimes guys with hc track records know one way and dont adapt. Or cant. And its a bad fit.
So you're saying that instead of analyzing results as a head coach, Tech should feel out a fit? That's a horrible plan.

While you've decided to "randomly" pick successful coaches, it's important to note:
1. GOL , Riley, Fisher and Dabo were promoted from within at their respective schools.
2. Malzahn and Meyer won 9 games as a head coach before being hired by larger schools, Collins has not done that, though he would have a chance if he stays for the bowl. Interesting that you analyze Meyer before Utah when Utah was in a similar conference as Temple. I wonder why you did that? Trying to apply spin perhaps?
3. Of all the names you listed, only two were not promoted from within and had less success than Collins as a head coach prior to being hired, Mullens and Fridge.
4. Two examples do not make a rule.

TheTechGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
Why are you so dead set against him? Did he kick your puppy? Give you a swirly in high school? I voted for Tony Elliot on the other thread, but I've warmed to Collins. I wouldn't be disappointed with Neal Brown, looking at his record, but there's arguments to be made against him. Georgia Tech would be the moon to him, for one thing. And as far as Harsin goes, you want to talk about a job where all you have to do is put it in auto pilot after 3 or 4 other coaches won before you- that's Boise State.
I'm against him because I do not think he is the best candidate on the market. I've presented evidence to back that up in lieu of hyperbole.

Status
Not open for further replies.