Potential Head Coach Hires

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheTechGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
You act like Temple tanked or something. He had the same conference record as Ruhle this year (7-1) losing barely to an undefeated UCF. After a rough start, Temple's had a good season in a fairly competitive AAC. Oh, they finished 7-1 in the same conference USF, who beat us, finished 3-5. And the season isn't over yet. Can't get to 10 wins, but they can get to 9.
I'm not acting like Temple tanked, I stated in a previous post that they are 8-4 with a bowl game left against Duke. The "rough start" included a loss to 1-AA Villanova.

I'm simply providing perspective to some people claiming that Collins will come in and make a "two-year splash" when he did not do that at Temple and lacks any other head coaching experience. Some on here are excited that he brought Saban breakfast for a year. Remember, UCF passed on Collins before he got the Temple job. That seems to be a theme with some of our candidates (Elliot), UCF passing over them in the past couple of years.

When asked to name alternative candidates with more experience and success as a head coach, I gave them.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
If you were to place a value on recruiting and coaching, I’d weight it about 60% recruiting and 40% coaching.

If we are, in fact, going away from a tactical advantage (the option), then I want GT to hire someone who comes with established relationships for recruiting.

Curious what a former player thinks?

What we really need is to keep the tactical advantage AND improve recruiting, but I know that is not an easy thing to do.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I don't think we are very important in many people's eyes. UNC and Texas Tech's coaching searches weren't very publicized either. If we want publicity, throw out a rumor of Art Briles and ESPN will send everyone not covering Kareem Hunt to Atlanta.
I got it! Right in front of us. Bobby Pitrino. Pass it on.

Foxyg

Jolly Good Fellow
Collins is a job-hopping, self-promoter. That may impress some of ya'll, but personally those types of folks turn me off. I'm just not all that impressed by someone who moves every 2 years to trade up. Basically that means he never stuck around any place long enough to a) get fired; or b) really see if he had staying power. I understand that's how the game is played a lot if you're ambitious, but you can also use that process to game the system. (See Brian VanGorder).

All of that doesn't mean he can't generate a good record at Tech or is destined for failure. It does mean that he comes with more question marks than some of the other candidates. Consequently, it appears to me at least, that the potential for implosion is higher with him than some of the other candidates.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Hmm that is a bad fall. I thought I saw where they stayed pretty high up on the offensive side of the ball. Must have been looking at one of the other 40 Florida schools. Probably need another year down below 30-40 to say it was for sure Briles, but that is a big drop.

K Briles went to Houston in 2018. In 2017, Houston's OFEI was 83. In 2018 it was it was 28.

K Briles is an offensive savant. Look at what he did his last 2 years at Baylor. The guy can coach offense, and if it wasn't for his baggage from the Baylor days, he would have all the big schools lining up to to hire him as their OC.

IEEEWreck

Ramblin' Wreck
Hey, I have an idea: let's all see how miserable we can make ourselves by twirling around our imaginations based on no solid information. Seems like a good way to pass the time until there's real news.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
If he gets the offer and accepts...he should not be coaching Temple in their bowl...he needs to be closing out our signing class.
If MSU is a template he will be out there the day it is announced. Poor guy keeps coaching bowl teams to whose bowl he goes not. The question that lingers with me, given the long difficulties Johnson had recruiting QBs for his system, do we have anybody now that could play the zone read or RPO from the shotgun, to run and throw? Particularly passing because that seems to be the intent of those formations. (And as Pollyannish as it may sound, I really hope he does not bring players he recruited for Temple. It just doesn't seem right.)

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
If MSU is a template he will be out there the day it is announced. Poor guy keeps coaching bowl teams to whose bowl he goes not. The question that lingers with me, given the long difficulties Johnson had recruiting QBs for his system, do we have anybody now that could play the zone read or RPO from the shotgun, to run and throw? Particularly passing because that seems to be the intent of those formations. (And as Pollyannish as it may sound, I really hope he does not bring players he recruited for Temple. It just doesn't seem right.)
The next year or two will be rough most likely and the change in offense will be the prime reason

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer
I'm not acting like Temple tanked, I stated in a previous post that they are 8-4 with a bowl game left against Duke. The "rough start" included a loss to 1-AA Villanova.

I'm simply providing perspective to some people claiming that Collins will come in and make a "two-year splash" when he did not do that at Temple and lacks any other head coaching experience. Some on here are excited that he brought Saban breakfast for a year. Remember, UCF passed on Collins before he got the Temple job. That seems to be a theme with some of our candidates (Elliot), UCF passing over them in the past couple of years.

When asked to name alternative candidates with more experience and success as a head coach, I gave them.
I'd say UCF made an inspired choice. Losing out to Heupel doesn't mean you would've been a bad hire in that case.

Rhule lost to Army in 2016 when Army wasn't particularly great, probably not as good as Buffalo is this year.

Neal Brown went 4-8 his first year at Troy. I don't know a lot about him, but admit he's got a good resume. I imagine having no Tech connections might make TStan leery of him.

I don't know about a two-year splash, but there's a lot to like about Collins. First off, the fact that his defenses have been strong everywhere he's been, and with the roster transition from the option, you'll need a strong defense for a couple of years until you can bring some different offensive personnel in to match what you're doing.

TheTechGuy

Ramblin' Wreck

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Hey, I have an idea: let's all see how miserable we can make ourselves by twirling around our imaginations based on no solid information. Seems like a good way to pass the time until there's real news.

You could always bypass all the miserable speculation and head to AJC.com and hit refresh every minute.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer

My opinion only, but I believe Lucas Johnson could play his system, but I just don't know where his "weapons" (WR, TE, etc.) would come from at this point. I don't think our "a-backs" are going to be able to easily morph into WR talent, but maybe I am wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.