Potential Head Coach Hires

Status
Not open for further replies.

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer
Neal Brown was my pick
Oh, ok. I'd prefer someone younger like Brown or Satterfield. I could see a Geoff Collins if things weren't still salty about him bailing on Gailey in the past. I just don't want to go back to the old pro-style, ex-NFL route like Gailey for various reasons I've posted. But who knows. Maybe they've got some assurances if Whisenhunt was hired he'd bring in a more college-friendly OC and just take a CEO role. I'd hope that'd be the case if that's what happens. I like Elliot, but there may be issues there I don't know about if TStan is choosing not to look that direction.

gtstinger776

Ramblin' Wreck
Gailey was a good man and he averaged 7 wins per year, same as Paul. Just couldn't beat Georgia. The way people talk about Chan here is pretty funny. Would I want him back? No.

People are just butthurt because he didn't beat Georgia. "Years of forgettable football is an ignorant statement".

There are lots I'd like to have happened differently but I don't and won't ever forget:

2003 he beat Auburn
2004 he beat Clemson in Death Valley
2005 he beat Auburn at Jordan Hare
2005 he beat #3 Miami @ Miami
2006 he led us to a conference championship game. We laid an egg that day, but if you guys can thump your chest about Paul finishing second in the acc coastal a few times as if that's some sort of feat then why can't you give credit to Chan for leading you to a championship game.
2007 he beat Notre Dame in SB
There were good times.

There is plenty I'll choose not to forget about Gailey.

This isn't directed completely at you, just partially towards you. People act like Paul came in and saved some bottom feeder program and was tasked with a rebuild of epic proportions and had to run his scheme to keep us competitive. That is just absurd. We just needed someone to get us over the hump, that's all. We were already very decent and not even close to being a dumpster fire. Paul was the perfect man for the job to come in and get us over that hump with the 09 Championship.

They both won us 7 per year and are both well respected. That being said, give me Paul over Chan.

In closing, to the people that always complain about losing the 06 title game to Wake and they say it like this: "He couldn't beat Wake frickin Forest for crying out loud, what a BUM he is. He had Calvin friggin Johnson". You sound just as ignorant as the yahoos now that complain when Paul is getting beat 4 out of 5 to Duke cause they say it the same way "He's owned by friggin Duke...friggin Duke. Duke football owns us, that's how bad Paul sucks". Both of those crowds are equally uninformed because they don't realize that "friggin Duke" is no longer "Friggin Duke", they're now a very decent football team.

And that Wake Forest team that beat us was a damn good football team. They were 11-2 beating Florida State to get there. Their only 2 losses were to Clemson and Virginia Tech. This wasn't the Wake Forest some of you like to pretend it was in order to smear Gailey.

Sorry for the rant. None of this matters anymore but it just annoys me when the people who have no idea about cfb moan about things that make no sense.
This is a really thoughtful take that I think a lot of folks on the message boards need to consider. In terms of avg wins per year, there wasn’t a big difference among Johnson, O’Leary, and Gailey. The former two best uga more than once, the latter never did.

(1) Gailey’s programs did a lot of things really well: I think they were better talent evaluators and talent developers. The avg overall stars for each class wasn’t that different between Gailey and Johnson. But I actually think Gailey and his staff were better at finding underrated 3 star prospects and developing them into good players. Daryl Richard, Vance Walker, Michael Johnson, and Andrew Gardner were all mid level 3 star (or lower) prospects that developed into NFL players - that’s just from one senior class. You have other guys such as PJ Daniels who went from being a preferred walk on to top 10 in school rushing yards. There aren’t as many examples of those kind of stories under PJ. I’ve been critical of the strength and conditioning program under PJ - a lot of our players just don’t look that much more physically developed as you would expect for a 5-year S&C program.

(2) With that said, the acc is significantly more competitive than it was under Gailey. Many after-thought programs (e.g. Duke and UVA) have made big investments to improve by hiring proven coaches and improving facilities. The argument could be made that Gailey achieved the same level of success (on avg) in a significantly easier competitive environment.

(3) The final thing to analyze is to consider whether the triple option uniquely enabled players that otherwise wouldn’t have succeeded. This is obviously really hard to forecast because many of these players never operated another collegiate offense aside from the TO. But my instincts say that Dwyer, D. Thomas, A. Allen, D. Smelter, O. Smith, J. Nesbitt, etc would’ve been successful in any collegiate spread offense. The only person who I believe was uniquely enabled was Justin Thomas. He wouldnt have achieved the same level of success (orange bowl, beating uga x2) as a QB in another offesnse. It’s probably true that Marshall and Tevin never would’ve won 7 games in other offenses either...but that goes back to my main point: the TO is only valuable if it drives incremental success (over our 7 win avg). And I’m not sure if the offense is as much of an “equalizer” if we’re only exceeding the 7 win threshold when we have special players who would achieve similar levels of success in any other spread offense.

(4) Assistant coaching is the biggest factor that will drive our success no matter who is the next HC. Johnson spoke multiple times about not having the funds to hire the assistants he wanted. I think Johnson’s mastery of his offense veiled some of the issues with player development that falls on position coaches. I think Gailey fell victim to inept offensive assistant coaching to the likes of Pat Nix. A HC is ultimately responsible for the player development and team success, but there’s no way they can manage a program and be that hands-on with day-to-day play development activities.

Last edited:

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Yeah. I don’t want him

Why though?

No one we're rumored to be looking at is markedly different than the next. Certainly not to the point where someone would unequivocally be against the pick.

Only one I'm strongly against is Wisenhunt. I think it would be a lazy, cowtowing choice and if he weren't an alum, we'd never even consider him. He's out of touch with cfb, other than being friends with our AD, which would be a death knell to our already recruiting-challenged program. And I don't buy the 'he knows exactly what it takes to be at GT' narrative because it's stale and untrue.

We've seen this 'middling NFL guy goes back to college' movie over and over and it never works. I take that back, we don't know if it's worked at AZSt simply because they're still in year 1.

See, I can spell out exactly why I don't want that guy.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Gailey was a good man and he averaged 7 wins per year, same as Paul. Just couldn't beat Georgia. The way people talk about Chan here is pretty funny. Would I want him back? No.

People are just butthurt because he didn't beat Georgia. "Years of forgettable football is an ignorant statement".

There are lots I'd like to have happened differently but I don't and won't ever forget:

2003 he beat Auburn
2004 he beat Clemson in Death Valley
2005 he beat Auburn at Jordan Hare
2005 he beat #3 Miami @ Miami
2006 he led us to a conference championship game. We laid an egg that day, but if you guys can thump your chest about Paul finishing second in the acc coastal a few times as if that's some sort of feat then why can't you give credit to Chan for leading you to a championship game.
2007 he beat Notre Dame in SB
There were good times.

There is plenty I'll choose not to forget about Gailey.

This isn't directed completely at you, just partially towards you. People act like Paul came in and saved some bottom feeder program and was tasked with a rebuild of epic proportions and had to run his scheme to keep us competitive. That is just absurd. We just needed someone to get us over the hump, that's all. We were already very decent and not even close to being a dumpster fire. Paul was the perfect man for the job to come in and get us over that hump with the 09 Championship.

They both won us 7 per year and are both well respected. That being said, give me Paul over Chan.

In closing, to the people that always complain about losing the 06 title game to Wake and they say it like this: "He couldn't beat Wake frickin Forest for crying out loud, what a BUM he is. He had Calvin friggin Johnson". You sound just as ignorant as the yahoos now that complain when Paul is getting beat 4 out of 5 to Duke cause they say it the same way "He's owned by friggin Duke...friggin Duke. Duke football owns us, that's how bad Paul sucks". Both of those crowds are equally uninformed because they don't realize that "friggin Duke" is no longer "Friggin Duke", they're now a very decent football team.

And that Wake Forest team that beat us was a damn good football team. They were 11-2 beating Florida State to get there. Their only 2 losses were to Clemson and Virginia Tech. This wasn't the Wake Forest some of you like to pretend it was in order to smear Gailey.

Sorry for the rant. None of this matters anymore but it just annoys me when the people who have no idea about cfb moan about things that make no sense.
I didn't like Gailey but my reason was his teams didn't look like they improved during the year . Just seem to be as good the first game as the last. Back then if you look at teams like FSU and yes uga if you wanted to beat them you had to play them in game 1 or 2. And maybe it was just my imagination.

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
From last search I remember:
Steve spurrier wasn’t happy at usce, they had just went 6-6, and he wanted out. Eerily like Gus this time.
The names I heard were
Coach Boom mfer
Chris Hatcher
Cutcliffe
Whisenhunt
CPJ

I think out of that group, we hired the best coach. Cutcliffe could have had a good program here too, but I think we chose wisely.
I pray we choose wisely again.

Heisman1215

Jolly Good Fellow
Why though?

No one we're rumored to be looking at is markedly different than the next. Certainly not to the point where someone would unequivocally be against the pick.

Only one I'm strongly against is Wisenhunt. I think it would be a lazy, cowtowing choice and if he weren't an alum, we'd never even consider him. He's out of touch with cfb, other than being friends with our AD, which would be a death knell to our already recruiting-challenged program. And I don't buy the 'he knows exactly what it takes to be at GT' narrative because it's stale and untrue.

We've seen this 'middling NFL guy goes back to college' movie over and over and it never works. I take that back, we don't know if it's worked at AZSt simply because they're still in year 1.

See, I can spell out exactly why I don't want that guy.
lol. Clemson has the best talent in the country so any coach on that team will look great. Ventibles? Is the prime example. At OU is sucked. Goes to Clemson and he is lights out. Don’t start that crap about he could recruit them here. Never gonna happen. The last time it was reported Clemson was 75% special admits. He will not get those type players to come to GT anywhere near what he has now at all the positions at Clemson. That is why I would put Neal Brown at my top. Satterfield at 2.
With that being said. I think it will be Whiz. That is the way GT always picks a coach. Older experienced HC

GTdragons

Jolly Good Fellow
Seems to be all quiet the last couple days with no new rumors dropping. Not sure if that’s a good thing or a bad thing. Do conflicting reports on Whisenhunt indicate there’s a difference of opinion on him internally?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Heisman1215

Jolly Good Fellow
Um... Has everyone forgotten that Stansbury is sequestered in Texas with the CFP Playoff Committee this week-end? I can't swear to this, but I don't think they are even allowed to have outside contact while they are deliberating
On his radio interview Thursday. He said he was about to board a plane to head out that afternoon. I bet they had dinner Thursday night and finalized it then.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
No one is honest anymore.

Therefore what you are saying........

Seriously, is there ANY real evidence TStan has actually contacted ANY coaches, agents, ADs anywhere?

TStan has been, maybe all night for all I know, involved with CFP selections.

A lot of the coaches names floating around are busy with conference championships, etc.

I, like everyone I believe, just pray we don’t screw this up.

We all have favorites. I just happen to think if we stick with the 3O (regardless of how it might be varied from our current system) that it may very well be a recruiting and PR ( read that donation & ticket sales) problem.

Earn your pay TStan.

Status
Not open for further replies.