Potential Head Coach Hires

Status
Not open for further replies.

GTThor

Jolly Good Fellow
I am still trying to totally erase in my mind the Chan Gailey era. Many years of forgettable football.

Go Jackets!
Have any of you ever set back and thought about how devastating of an injury Tony Hollings' was to our program. He was on pace for a Heisman type year when he tore his ACL.
I have always believed that was the equivalent of "what if Herschel Walker tore his knee up his freshman year". If he stays healthy, it could have been a program changer. Chan Gailey, who I don't think was awful, (he was a great guy) would be looked at a little different.

Hollings was buried on the defensive depth chart by OLeary and Chan was able to see the talent he had.

Now saying that, Tony did ask to be moved to offense.

What could have been?!

neb llarmus

Jolly Good Fellow
So tired of him getting crap. Good dude, hang out with him sometime. Fought his arse off. Compare him to some of the snowflake crap i see today on the field i go into a fight with reggie everyday. Not gonna say anything bad about our players now. But we had some hard *** dudes 12-20 years ago that would eat the lunch of some guys i see now. Just sayin.

Football rules have made it less scared
Would loved to have seen RB at QB in CPJ’s system.

upwgdrb

Jolly Good Fellow
Oh. I thought lewis was hc at e carolina. He was. My point was we haven’t hired a Coord as head coach other than gol in forever and maybe its time to try something new rather than the constant old fogey route

We even skipped over spurrier

Skipping Spurrier was a terrible move. We have to remember he had been an NFL qb and was already recognized as a real offensive mind, I mean Duke hired them as their head coach. He was also considered brash and abrasive. Too much like Pepper. I don’t think Elliott brings that to the table. He is following Chad Morris, who is struggling as a head coach. Morris is the creator of the current Clemson offense. He is the one recognized as the offensive mind. If the guy we were considering is a young Spurrier, I think we would all know it with today’s information overload.

I get your point about trying something different. I just think Elliott going to struggle here. It’s a lot to take on with our restrictions fir a starting coach.

If he is the guy, I would give him full support. I think he would represent us really well.

We all have our opinions, who ever gets hired we should all support fully.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

GTechFBNut

Georgia Tech Fan
I know I sound like a pumper, but that OSU D didn’t look too bad tonight. I’d still give Schiano a call. Would at least be a guy I’d looked at.

Milwaukee

Banned
I am still trying to totally erase in my mind the Chan Gailey era. Many years of forgettable football.

Go Jackets!

Gailey was a good man and he averaged 7 wins per year, same as Paul. Just couldn't beat Georgia. The way people talk about Chan here is pretty funny. Would I want him back? No.

People are just butthurt because he didn't beat Georgia. "Years of forgettable football is an ignorant statement".

There are lots I'd like to have happened differently but I don't and won't ever forget:

2003 he beat Auburn
2004 he beat Clemson in Death Valley
2005 he beat Auburn at Jordan Hare
2005 he beat #3 Miami @ Miami
2006 he led us to a conference championship game. We laid an egg that day, but if you guys can thump your chest about Paul finishing second in the acc coastal a few times as if that's some sort of feat then why can't you give credit to Chan for leading you to a championship game.
2007 he beat Notre Dame in SB
There were good times.

There is plenty I'll choose not to forget about Gailey.

This isn't directed completely at you, just partially towards you. People act like Paul came in and saved some bottom feeder program and was tasked with a rebuild of epic proportions and had to run his scheme to keep us competitive. That is just absurd. We just needed someone to get us over the hump, that's all. We were already very decent and not even close to being a dumpster fire. Paul was the perfect man for the job to come in and get us over that hump with the 09 Championship.

They both won us 7 per year and are both well respected. That being said, give me Paul over Chan.

In closing, to the people that always complain about losing the 06 title game to Wake and they say it like this: "He couldn't beat Wake frickin Forest for crying out loud, what a BUM he is. He had Calvin friggin Johnson". You sound just as ignorant as the yahoos now that complain when Paul is getting beat 4 out of 5 to Duke cause they say it the same way "He's owned by friggin Duke...friggin Duke. Duke football owns us, that's how bad Paul sucks". Both of those crowds are equally uninformed because they don't realize that "friggin Duke" is no longer "Friggin Duke", they're now a very decent football team.

And that Wake Forest team that beat us was a damn good football team. They were 11-2 beating Florida State to get there. Their only 2 losses were to Clemson and Virginia Tech. This wasn't the Wake Forest some of you like to pretend it was in order to smear Gailey.

Sorry for the rant. None of this matters anymore but it just annoys me when the people who have no idea about cfb moan about things that make no sense.

laoh

Ramblin' Wreck
Gailey was a good man and he averaged 7 wins per year, same as Paul. Just couldn't beat Georgia. The way people talk about Chan here is pretty funny. Would I want him back? No.

People are just butthurt because he didn't beat Georgia. "Years of forgettable football is an ignorant statement".

There are lots I'd like to have happened differently but I don't and won't ever forget:

2003 he beat Auburn
2004 he beat Clemson in Death Valley
2005 he beat Auburn at Jordan Hare
2005 he beat #3 Miami @ Miami
2006 he led us to a conference championship game. We laid an egg that day, but if you guys can thump your chest about Paul finishing second in the acc coastal a few times as if that's some sort of feat then why can't you give credit to Chan for leading you to a championship game.
2007 he beat Notre Dame in SB
There were good times.

There is plenty I'll choose not to forget about Gailey.

This isn't directed completely at you, just partially towards you. People act like Paul came in and saved some bottom feeder program and was tasked with a rebuild of epic proportions and had to run his scheme to keep us competitive. That is just absurd. We just needed someone to get us over the hump, that's all. We were already very decent and not even close to being a dumpster fire. Paul was the perfect man for the job to come in and get us over that hump with the 09 Championship.

They both won us 7 per year and are both well respected. That being said, give me Paul over Chan.

In closing, to the people that always complain about losing the 06 title game to Wake and they say it like this: "He couldn't beat Wake frickin Forest for crying out loud, what a BUM he is. He had Calvin friggin Johnson". You sound just as ignorant as the yahoos now that complain when Paul is getting beat 4 out of 5 to Duke cause they say it the same way "He's owned by friggin Duke...friggin Duke. Duke football owns us, that's how bad Paul sucks". Both of those crowds are equally uninformed because they don't realize that "friggin Duke" is no longer "Friggin Duke", they're now a very decent football team.

And that Wake Forest team that beat us was a damn good football team. They were 11-2 beating Florida State to get there. Their only 2 losses were to Clemson and Virginia Tech. This wasn't the Wake Forest some of you like to pretend it was in order to smear Gailey.

Sorry for the rant. None of this matters anymore but it just annoys me when the people who have no idea about cfb moan about things that make no sense.

Can't talk in averages. Average passing or rushing yards, sure. Average GPA or students, sure. But average wins smother the emotional highs (and lows) of the respectable coaches. As mentioned here numerous times before, Chan gave us 7 wins a year but the program was flat as a pancake. Paul gave us the 3, 5, 6 wins but that also gave us the ultimate highs of two 11 win seasons, plus ACC championship, plus Orange Bowls... and of course the georgie wins. If you ask me, guaranteed 7 wins a year or up/down swings, I'd pick the latter for sure b/c we all remember how sweet the 2009 and 2014 seasons were. Especially 2014, when we went toe to toe with FSU and destroyed Miss St... I bet many of us that year thought if we played in the playoffs, we might've actually had a good shot at it. Chan never gave us that feeling. Ever. I still remember Chan saying how unfair it was for being fired when he never had a losing season. Maybe that works in the NFL when one more W than an L means you're a success but c'mon...

Milwaukee

Banned
Can't talk in averages. Average passing or rushing yards, sure. Average GPA or students, sure. But average wins smother the emotional highs (and lows) of the respectable coaches. As mentioned here numerous times before, Chan gave us 7 wins a year but the program was flat as a pancake. Paul gave us the 3, 5, 6 wins but that also gave us the ultimate highs of two 11 win seasons, plus ACC championship, plus Orange Bowls... and of course the georgie wins. If you ask me, guaranteed 7 wins a year or up/down swings, I'd pick the latter for sure b/c we all remember how sweet the 2009 and 2014 seasons were. Especially 2014, when we went toe to toe with FSU and destroyed Miss St... I bet many of us that year thought if we played in the playoffs, we might've actually had a good shot at it. Chan never gave us that feeling. Ever. I still remember Chan saying how unfair it was for being fired when he never had a losing season. Maybe that works in the NFL when one more W than an L means you're a success but c'mon...

I think what you're stating is obviously common knowledge regarding the higher highs and the lower lows. That should be common sense. I'm a PJ guy and I guess I should've clarified although I thought I did. Pretty sure you completely missed my point or didn't read it. I'd take Paul over Gailey any day. Now that you know this, maybe re-read what I was trying to say. Gailey gets talked about around here like he was a bum and Paul rescued a burning car when that's just not true.

Milwaukee

Banned
Wax poetic about Chan all you like but there's a reason no one, not even you, was sad to see him go, @Milwaukee

You are 100% correct when you say I wasn't upset when he was let go. I'm not even trying to "wax" I'm just keeping it real. The dude didn't beat UGA and that's why people bad mouth him but he was not a terrible coach as some try to portray. Saying his years were forgettable is just butthurt talking. I'd feel much better if people were honest and came right out and said "He didn't beat UGA so I don't like him". At least be honest with yourself. So for the 3rd time, I'm a PJ guy and this isn't about him vs Chan.

ps - why aren't you asleep @kg01 ??

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
You are 100% correct when you say I wasn't upset when he was let go. I'm not even trying to "wax" I'm just keeping it real. The dude didn't beat UGA and that's why people bad mouth him but he was not a terrible coach as some try to portray. Saying his years were forgettable is just butthurt talking. I'd feel much better if people were honest and came right out and said "He didn't beat UGA so I don't like him". At least be honest with yourself. So for the 3rd time, I'm a PJ guy and this isn't about him vs Chan.

ps - why aren't you asleep @kg01 ??

It honestly never crosses my mind that he never beat them. He was a bad, bland hire and we are better for him not being here any longer.

And kg04 is sick. Nothing serious but I'm up with him. Let me know if you want to babysit.

OlaJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Have any of you ever set back and thought about how devastating of an injury Tony Hollings' was to our program. He was on pace for a Heisman type year when he tore his ACL.
I have always believed that was the equivalent of "what if Herschel Walker tore his knee up his freshman year". If he stays healthy, it could have been a program changer. Chan Gailey, who I don't think was awful, (he was a great guy) would be looked at a little different.

Hollings was buried on the defensive depth chart by OLeary and Chan was able to see the talent he had.

What could have been?!
I have thought about it often. I feel the same way, Tony was Herschel-like. The problem was I don't think Tony tears his knee up in that BYU game if Chan hadn't run him into the ground in that game. I have never been a Chan hater or basher but I believe he reaped what he sowed that day.

What could have been?!

Milwaukee

Banned
It honestly never crosses my mind that he never beat them. He was a bad, bland hire and we are better for him not being here any longer.

And kg04 is sick. Nothing serious but I'm up with him. Let me know if you want to babysit.

I'm with you completely, but I must ask if there's something in my post that you may have misinterpreted as me implying that we'd be better off with him? I'm taking up for him when people that don't know what they're talking about try to drag him down.

I'll say it again, cause I'm with ya...and I'm sick too. fml. We are better off that Paul took over for him. Clear now?

Hopefully your Mucinex and Nyquil is working better than mine.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I'm with you completely, but I must ask if there's something in my post that you may have misinterpreted as me implying that we'd be better off with him? I'm taking up for him when people that don't know what they're talking about try to drag him down.

I'll say it again, cause I'm with ya...and I'm sick too. fml. We are better off that Paul took over for him. Clear now?

Hopefully your Mucinex and Nyquil is working better than mine.

I feel he deserves all the criticism he receives. You seemed to be on a crusade to protect him. I know that wasn't your endgame but I chose to move swiftly and forcefully against even the smallest inkling of pro-chan talk.

I admittedly tried to kill a fly with a sledgehammer and was probably off base in the first place. I hope you can forgive me.

Lastly, and most importantly, when can we sign you up to babysit?

Status
Not open for further replies.