Potential Head Coach Hires

Status
Not open for further replies.

gtkevin12

Jolly Good Fellow
Mike Houston seems to have very little interest here. I'm curious why. He has been a HC for 8 years and has FOUR national championship appearances. Finished first in conference 6/8 years. Has proven he can win with lesser talent. (Beat USC-E while at the Citadel). Why wouldn't he be GREAT for Tech?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20181201-182501_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20181201-182501_Samsung Internet.jpg
    782.3 KB · Views: 57

GTThor

Jolly Good Fellow
My two choices are Jeff Monken, who I believe is by far the best candidate. I know he runs the same offense, but I also believe we were never the same when he left. I believe he is capable and willing to be more versatile offensively than Paul ever was.

The second is the sleeper. Someone mentioned him earlier and I was like "really?". I looked at him a little closer. He is a great recruiter. He is young enough to relate to kids. He has a background in running option football out of the gun from his years at GSU.
Lastly it would be a huge blow to our instate rival. Dell McGee.

He doesn't have a lot of experience, but neither did Dabo Swinney.

upwgdrb

Jolly Good Fellow
Mike Houston seems to have very little interest here. I'm curious why. He has been a HC for 8 years and has FOUR national championship appearances. Finished first in conference 6/8 years. Has proven he can win with lesser talent. (Beat USC-E while at the Citadel). Why wouldn't he be GREAT for Tech?

He has the type of experience we need. A little concerned about not coaching in an academic environment. He is much better than the two candidates this board seems to be pushing for.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

gtkevin12

Jolly Good Fellow
He has the type of experience we need. A little concerned about not coaching in an academic environment. He is much better than the two candidates this board seems to be pushing for.

Agreed, although he has never coached with academic restrictions, the Citadel presents it's own challenges as a military institute. Not everyone wants to attend that "structure" and they don't accept everyone either. At least he is familiar with recruiting "challenges".

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
We did with a Bill Lewis. Been there and sat through it. Sat thorough a Bill Curry learning how to be a head coach too. Not interested in repeating either of those.

Oh. I thought lewis was hc at e carolina. He was. My point was we haven’t hired a Coord as head coach other than gol in forever and maybe its time to try something new rather than the constant old fogey route

We even skipped over spurrier

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I was hoping we would cut a deal w Coach to stay as a consultant and hire a guy like this to run the team. When business changes leadership ( friendly basis) this is common transition method.

Citadel guy is a good coach

slugboy

Staff member
Oh. I thought lewis was hc at e carolina. He was. My point was we haven’t hired a Coord as head coach other than gol in forever and maybe its time to try something new rather than the constant old fogey route

We even skipped over spurrier

L***s was 11-1 and number 9 in the polls as head coach at East Carolina and national coach of the year before we hired him. Possibly the best pedigree possible. The hiring still seemed weird, but he wasn’t learning to be a head coach at Tech; he’d been there and done that.

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
L***s was 11-1 and number 9 in the polls as head coach at East Carolina and national coach of the year before we hired him. Possibly the best pedigree possible. The hiring still seemed weird, but he wasn’t learning to be a head coach at Tech; he’d been there and done that.

Yea, that was just Tech doing a really poor job qualifying the candidate. As we all know now, he had some great assistants to prop him up and did not have the skills to make a big step up to a larger school

33jacket

Helluva Engineer

Ok. Never said he was learning here. Some other guy said that. I said i want us to be open to hiring a great asst with us as his first head job. Tons of good coaches like that. Uga did it. Oklahoma. Houston then to texas in herman. Etc

BigDaddyBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Maybe bc he just took the East Carolina job

slugboy

Staff member
Ok. Never said he was learning here. Some other guy said that. I said i want us to be open to hiring a great asst with us as his first head job. Tons of good coaches like that. Uga did it. Oklahoma. Houston then to texas in herman. Etc

Yeah, wasn’t saying you did (it looked like you were being ironic or something). It was just the end of that conversation

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
He’s just making a very valid point
His point was wrong. He said we had no players that fit two deep. It took me 1 second to come up with someone who would. I shouldn't have to defend our players. I hope we recruit better players in the future. No reason to drag the ones we currently have through the mud.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer

Absolutely no experience at the FBS level. Could do worse but that's a big thing.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
So you think CPJ was a good recruiter? You need to pull your head out of the sand and quit calling those who call a spade a spade PJ haters.

Sent from my ASUS_Z01RD using Tapatalk
With two recruiters on staff, I don't think I'd call CPJ bad...Other teams are in the 20s. I think CPJ struggled with recruiting, but attributing the blame on him personally is hard when he also wasn't given the resources. I hope we give the new coach every advantage and that he out recruits every coach we've ever had.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.