Potential Head Coach Hires

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jawtek82

Georgia Tech Fan
That's not true at all. He inherited a consistently .500 program with perennial top 25 recruiting classes.
They were 4-8 with ONE conference win in Bielema's last year, in the third year of a three year trend of declining results. Five games under .500 the previous five years. They were a mess.

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck
A very interesting guy I was talking to my friends about who's from Texas is UT Co-Offensive Coordinator/OL Coach Herb Hand. He's basically helped develop the Malzahn Wing-T/Smashmouth Spread whatever offense with Gus back in the day. He's coached/Cordinated with Malzhan for a number of years and was at Vanderbilt and Penn State before. He also is one of the few guys who's coached under the 3-major zone-read spread trees: Rich Rod and West Virginia, Gus at Tulsa and extensively at Auburn, and now under the Urban Meyer tree with Herman/Tim Beck so he can probably put together some very interesting plays. He's apparently a good recruiter, but Texas recruits itself and Auburn does to a good degree as well. I bet he would be cheap because he makes position coach money and not top OC money right now so we could spend on position coaches and maybe a top level S&C program.

Jawtek82

Georgia Tech Fan
Here are College Football News 5 candidates for the GT head coaching job

Josh Heupel UCF head coach

Mark Helfrich Chicago Bears OC

Billy Napier head coach Louisiana-Lafayette

Scott Satterfield Appalachian State head coach

Kliff Kingsbury former Texas Tech head coach

I like all of them to varying degrees except Napier, but I think we have zero.zero chance to get any of them except Napier.

Kingsbury reportedly had multiple NFL offers within 24 hours of being fired.

Wikipedia is stating that Louisville has hired Satterfield.

If I didn't believe that Lincoln Riley was heading to the NFL and Heupel was going to replace him, **maybe** we would have a chance at Heupel. But I am not sure that Georgia Tech is really a "step up" from UCF anyway.

Helfrich is going to be a hot commodity after the Bears season. He's not coming to Georgia Tech.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
I like all of them to varying degrees except Napier, but I think we have zero.zero chance to get any of them except Napier.

If I didn't believe that Lincoln Riley was heading to the NFL and Heupel was going to replace him, **maybe** we would have a chance at Heupel. But I am not sure that Georgia Tech is really a "step up" from UCF anyway.

Helfrich is going to be a hot commodity after the Bears season. He's not coming to Georgia Tech.
Damn i didn't know Louisville hired Coach Satterfield:banghead: I hope GT hires Neal Brown of Troy now;)

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer

I think GT can hire Scott Satterfield

King2b

Jolly Good Fellow
Perhaps CPJ talked Ken out of the Arizona job knowing GT job would be available soon.

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

steebu

Ramblin' Wreck
I still want a coach that's going to marry CPJ's flex option with Mike Leach's Air Raid.

Monken HC + Kliff Kingsbury (not gonna happen) as OC.

That would offense would be ridiculously fun, and have DC's quitting or fired at half time.

It would. Can you imagine going Death March on the first two drives, then Blitzkrieg no-huddle up-tempo shotgun Air Raid the next 4? It'd be 42-0 at the half and the other team would be wondering what the heck just happened.

While CPJ is on sabbatical, he needs to go to Pullman and have kids with Mike Leach.

@mods please ban. I just threw up in my mouth.

TromboneJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Here are College Football News 5 candidates for the GT head coaching job

Josh Heupel UCF head coach

Mark Helfrich Chicago Bears OC

Billy Napier head coach Louisiana-Lafayette

Scott Satterfield Appalachian State head coach

Kliff Kingsbury former Texas Tech head coach
If we got Helfrich or Kingsbury, I would be giddy. They’re both great offensive coaches.

steebu

Ramblin' Wreck
Can anyone with knowledge explain how Clemson’s offense is different from Urban’s?

Clemson uses both a verbal snap count and the shake-your-leg-like-you-gotta-pee snap count.

Ohio State does the hand clap.

/serious

Don't believe all that shakin the south junk ... they're all the same with slight variations. Dwayne Haskins is a much better passer than JT Barrett was, so they're way more effective on offense than they ever were under Barrett. Dumping 62 points on the #1 defense in the country shows that. They actually look like a decent offense this year and comparable to Clemson.

"Well, Clemson goes 3 x 1 with an inside zone read on this play ..."

Meanwhile in Columbus:

"Well, Ohio State goes 2 x 2 with an inside zone read on this play ..."

Everything else is window dressing.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Clemson uses both a verbal snap count and the shake-your-leg-like-you-gotta-pee snap count.

Ohio State does the hand clap.

/serious

Don't believe all that shakin the south junk ... they're all the same with slight variations. Dwayne Haskins is a much better passer than JT Barrett was, so they're way more effective on offense than they ever were under Barrett. Dumping 62 points on the #1 defense in the country shows that. They actually look like a decent offense this year and comparable to Clemson.

"Well, Clemson goes 3 x 1 with an inside zone read on this play ..."

Meanwhile in Columbus:

"Well, Ohio State goes 2 x 2 with an inside zone read on this play ..."

Everything else is window dressing.
lol thanks.

I look forward to obsessively researching our next offense once it's been determined as I did CPJ's.(y)

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Going outside the "GT bubble" and outside the local papers, SI chimes in about CPJ stepping down and GT's path forward:

https://www.si.com/college-football...ech-coaching-candidates-ken-whisenhunt-option

To me, this is the interesting part of the article:

There’s a much easier way, however—and it doesn’t have to be as simple as replacing Johnson with another coach from one of the academies or another program that runs an offense steeped in option principles. Instead, Georgia Tech can look at any number of offensive minds who run spread schemes that incorporate plenty of option elements, which has become the norm around the college game and has gradually infiltrated the NFL as well. No matter who they hire, it would be an adjustment for the Yellow Jackets to pass the ball more than 10 times a game, but with the right resourceful mind pulling the strings, any number of creative college coaches could oversee a transition not nearly as jarring as pivoting to a pro-style scheme.

A lot of us think what CPJ does is unique. In fact, it's only unique in the high percentage that we choose operate the option schemes. The option schemes themselves are pretty prevalent in college (and some NFL). Heck, UVA ran triple option plays against us this year, but no one is calling UVA a triple option team. Going back to SI's article about the CPJ's spread option ( https://www.si.com/college-football/2018/09/27/triple-option-offense-army-georgia-tech ), there's a reason why good coaches have gone to CPJ for guidance, BUT there's also a good reason why those same coaches don't operate those same schemes at the high percentage or market those schemes: the perception of them hurts (off the field) as much as it helps (on the field). CPJ's offense works. No one can doubt that. But in many ways, it's a zero sum proposition.

I've always contended that CPJ had the tools to "modernize" his offense already in hand: Emphasize the Run n Shoot aspects of his offense more, and complement them with his option schemes. One day, some enterprising coach will do just that. As devastating as CPJ's offense was rushing the ball, whoever "flips the script" will take the entire offense to another level. It will be beautiful to watch when it happens.

laoh

Ramblin' Wreck
All of you dumb***es are about to find out the harsh reality of “Money talks, bull**** walks.” Ain’t no coach worth his salt gonna come here and be told he only has the budget for a whopping 3-4 recruiters. They’re gonna want an assistant coach whose only job IS recruiting. And that includes young and up and coming coaches that are “hot” right now. Not only that, you also now have to pay for an OC AND a head coach. And don’t even get me started on the reality of academic restrictions at The Institute, that goes without saying. I can’t think of anyone based off lack of resources/interest and academics that would even think about sniffing this job.

And personally, these coaches all know about each other and most, if not all, respect Paul Johnson for his coaching abilities and for his achievements. They know he’s a HOF-caliber coach and that if GT wasn’t willing to do what it takes for even him to be successful here, why in the hell would they waste their time coming here.

Y’all are about to enter of period of next-level dog sh** type of bad and I can’t think of a more deserving fan base than GT’s. The overwhelming majority of you all as alumni and “fans” are either super dumb and/or super arrogant to think that you can just make chicken soup out of chicken sh** just cause you’re engineers. You guys are gonna be looking real cool with your modern offense when you’re 2-10 or worse. You might not have a winning record for the next 5-10 seasons but hey, “we’re passing more!”

This is a sad, sad day for GT. For those of you looking for the answer about whether or not GT is committed to being competitive in today’s CFB, you got your answer. They had a gift in Johnson and you just let him walk right out the door... and I’m right behind him.

Good luck in the future. I have a feeling you guys are gonna need all the luck you can get. Goodbye.

Aside from the harshness and abrasive tone that's pissing off some, I agree with the above. Pretty much all of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.