Potential Head Coach Hires

Status
Not open for further replies.

Technut1990

Ramblin' Wreck
He may be done coaching. It is a more than full time job with little thanks from a sizeable (and ignorant) portion of the fan base. There are several other money making possibilities, from writing to consulting to guest TV & radio.

I hope so Animal, I can’t stand the thought of him being with another team , it’s just to soon for me :(. He leaves I try to move on, find out he is with another team, unanswered phone calls, TPOs, probation, depression — it’s a lot to handle.

( I’m being facetious of course, only humor, I’m kidding ! )

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Clemson, Auburn, Oregon, Ohio State etc all run the same base offense. They vary it based on the type of QB they have. Auburn right now does not have the right QB to run this offense. By the way, all the coaches who run this offense came to Atlanta to visit CPJ to understand the option.
I would say old Chip Kelly Oregon and Malzahn Auburn are pretty different from Urban/Morris. Based on that link, Morris seems very similar to Urban but with more triple option (which interestingly was more Oregon). But Oregon ran option a lot less and ran more outside/inside zone to set up the pass and option.

Auburn was initially pretty unique from those, but I have not paid attention to them since the Cam years.

QuickKick

Georgia Tech Fan
Right now the names I am seeing/hearing:

Ken Wisenhunt- Chargers OC
Scott Satterfield- App State HC
Brian Bohannon- Kennesaw St HC

(long shot)- Gus Malzahn- Auburn HC (rumors Auburn is going to make a big HC move and leave Gus without a job).
Not feeling the Malzahn at all.

gtg845w

Jolly Good Fellow
How has no one said Urban Meyer?!?! No seriously. He sent his daughter here and definitely wants out of Columbus. if he wanted a true challenge he would come to Atlanta!

QuickKick

Georgia Tech Fan
No thanks. Guy can't develop players. I live in Alabama, Auburn fans hate him. He's a train wreck that lucked out with some incredible Transfer athletes that would never get into Tech. God I hope Stansbury pays more attention to the rest of college football than some of us.
Definitely not feeling Malzahn.

Em_Jae20

Helluva Engineer
I still want a coach that's going to marry CPJ's flex option with Mike Leach's Air Raid.

Monken HC + Kliff Kingsbury (not gonna happen) as OC.

That would offense would be ridiculously fun, and have DC's quitting or fired at half time.

While CPJ is on sabbatical, he needs to go to Pullman and have kids with Mike Leach.
Soooo, Jiff Monksbury?:cool:

QuickKick

Georgia Tech Fan
I said it above, so I'll say it again: we need to hire Bohannon and right now.

The other candidates will either be unable to make use of the players we now have - and we've got some good ones - or be too expensive. First, if we hire someone who will come in and try to use players recruited for a system offense to run an O premised on having a few "playmakers", we will be looking at multiple years of disastrous seasons. I keep hearing about "football irrelevancy" here; have a string of 3 - 9 years and see where we end up. We have been able to keep the program steady and get to great heights occasionally largely because we have been recruited for a system O that allows us to specialize our recruiting so that we get players we can use effectively. Someone like Malzahn or Wisenhunt or Satterfield would be lost at Tech and unable to get the players they need to run their programs. Bohannon could step right in without a hiccup.

Second, we could get him for a decent price. We need every extra penny for program development now. Someone like Malzahn would be another (and less successful) Paul Hewitt.

This is, as some above have said, a big decision, especially with recruiting in a sensitive stage. Hire Bohannon (provided he'd leave KSU, of course) and we'll get the continuity we need. Bring in a "disruptor" and we'll end up the Sears-Roebuck of college football.
I like Bo's version of the 3O better, too. I think he could get it done but will be fine if we go with a Satterfield.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
I still want a coach that's going to marry CPJ's flex option with Mike Leach's Air Raid.

Monken HC + Kliff Kingsbury (not gonna happen) as OC.

That would offense would be ridiculously fun, and have DC's quitting or fired at half time.

While CPJ is on sabbatical, he needs to go to Pullman and have kids with Mike Leach.
Honestly, wouldn't CPJ offense while at Hawaii not be closest we'll get to this?

Jawtek82

Georgia Tech Fan
Whisenhunt would be a good hire for many reasons. He would have a compelling story to sell to recruits based on his NFL experience. He understands Tech and its idiosyncrasies. He has been doing a good job as OC in Los Angeles. And he actually took the pathetic Arizona freakin' Cardinals to the Super Bowl and came withing one freak play of winning it.

So Whisenhunt is my first choice and it isn't close. However, since he is an OC on a successful team, he might be in line for another (last?) chance to be an NFL head coach, so he might not want to come here and end that possibility.

After that . . .

Let's get real. Briles isn't coming here. Leach isn't coming here. Kiffin isn't coming here. Even if I really wanted any of them (I don't).

I have heard folks mention Holgorsen and Sarkisian. I do not believe either of them would come unless we backed up the Brinks truck. However, of the two, I would prefer Sarkisian.

Wikipedia says that Louisville has already hired Satterfield.

I am a hard "No" on RichRod. Bobby Petrino has been successful in general, but he has always seemed kind of slimy from the way he left the Falcons mid season, to the motorcycle incident at Arkansas, and I have to wonder why Louisville was so quick to fire him during his first bad season there after four decent years. I suspect that no one there liked him. I don't want him, either.

I would prefer Chris Klieman or Mike Houston to any of these retreads and the various assistants at "name" programs whose names I've heard. Mike Houston has won everywhere he's been, and I would be excited if he came here. On the other hand, it could be Bill Lewis all over again. Still, I think Houston or even Klieman would be worth the gamble.

Jeff Monken seems like CPJ 2.0. With all the folks calling for Johnson's head the last couple if years and pointing accusingly at his offense, how is that going to work out if things don't go well out of the gate with Monken? Unlike CPJ, Monken won't have that nice Orange Bowl trophy to back him up. I wouldn't complain if he took the job, but I wouldn't be very excited either. The situation with Bohannon is similar.

QuickKick

Georgia Tech Fan
For the people who want to keep running the CPJ offense, what makes you think his successors will improve on his success?

Based on what I'm hearing about big money donors, no chance that we are running the TO next year.
If they tweak it it could make a huge difference. But yeah I'm feeling we're moving to more of a spread myself.

LibertyTurns

Banned
Give us dates, games and times you saw Army and Monken pass the football. Take your time.
If he doesn’t pass, then maybe he should be our man. The more I think about our offense going from an aggressive type running scheme to a bear hugging dancing around in the pocket throwing the ball like a bunch of girls, the more I’m convinced we need to man up and run the ball even more.

Status
Not open for further replies.