Potential Head Coach Hires

Status
Not open for further replies.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Hope you are right
Posted by georgia_tech_swagger on aonther Board...

So why would Nate Woody, DC at Appalachian State, leave to take on a total shambles GT defense for a HC he knows has no more than 4 years left max when he has a terrific defense at App State and a HC destined for bigger jobs soon?

*place tin foil on head now*

Nate Woody came over as DC to ease the transition for the program so that Scott Satterfield can lean on his defense 2-3 years into being converted before he has to swallow the painful pill of wholesale change in offensive personnel that will likely lead to a VERY bad offense for at least 2 years. Those extra 2-3 years allow AI2020 to also be completed which includes a host of facilities improvements, a huge endowment increase, increased recruiting staffs and budgets, and more. Everything lines up almost TOO well.
04-deal.gif
Hope you are right but I don't see it.

steebu

Ramblin' Wreck
I am still strongly supporting we get a *defense first* coach with strong recruiting.

However, if we don't go for Monken and we have to get an offensive guy, I think we need to get someone from the Mike Leach or Art Briles coaching tree. Both Air Raid and Veer and Shoot are meant to do more with less, just like our current offense is. Of the non factory schools in the top offensive efficiency, most come from either the CPJ, Briles, or Leach trees.

I agree with you in principle on the Leach/Briles tree. But while I would welcome Leach here (he'd never come) I'd fly to Atlanta and burn Briles' house down if he were hired. And then slap TS's hand for hiring him.

The next guy's gotta have a "More with less" mentality, because that's exactly what he's going to have. As I said over a year ago it doesn't matter who we get, he's going to face the same hurdles that CPJ faced.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
I agree with you in principle on the Leach/Briles tree. But while I would welcome Leach here (he'd never come) I'd fly to Atlanta and burn Briles' house down if he were hired. And then slap TS's hand for hiring him.

The next guy's gotta have a "More with less" mentality, because that's exactly what he's going to have. As I said over a year ago it doesn't matter who we get, he's going to face the same hurdles that CPJ faced.
GT could always hire former Baylor OC Kendal Briles away from Texas State who has just hired him;):)

year_of_the_swarm

Jolly Good Fellow
I don't see anything impressive here

They are just showing formations... not meant to be impressive. I could post an image of Washington States QB standing in the shotgun and that wouldn't be impressive either. I posted it because this is the offense Lunsdsford runs at Georgia Southern and its based on the option, if Stansbury was interested in running the option. His options are essentially Ken Niam-whatever at Navy, Jeff Monken at Army, Troy Calhoun at Air Force, Brian Bohannon at Kennessaw, and Chad Lunsford at Georgia Southern.

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
Kendall Briles was the magic there. They've been awful this year.

Also currently have the #10 class in the C-USA. Kiffin thought he was bouncing after this season and mailed it in. Then he won 5 games after his magic beans moved on to Houston.

FAU has the number 14 offense in total offense and 23 in FEI ranking. Pretty good still. Their defense has been the problem this year.

Scubapro

Banned

Yeah...Baylor was a power house before he got there...building that program didnt require doing more with less....I will meet you at Hartsfield with a fire extinguisher :)

Foxyg

Jolly Good Fellow
They are just showing formations... not meant to be impressive. I could post an image of Washington States QB standing in the shotgun and that wouldn't be impressive either. I posted it because this is the offense Lunsdsford runs at Georgia Southern and its based on the option, if Stansbury was interested in running the option. His options are essentially Ken Niam-whatever at Navy, Jeff Monken at Army, Troy Calhoun at Air Force, Brian Bohannon at Kennessaw, and Chad Lunsford at Georgia Southern.
Lundsford has done a great job at Georgia Southern, but living in Statesboro and having watched some of their games, I wonder how much of their success this year has been from a ridiculously positive turnover margin and whether that can be replicated. The defense was the strength of that team and in their two conference losses, they no-showed. DeBess' offense at Southern probably threw it less than we did this year with fewer big plays. I like Chad, but a year ago he was the special teams coach at Georgia Southern on a staff led by Tyson Summers who is now a consultant at UGA. Lundsford needs some more seasoning before he takes on a job of this magnitude.

Status
Not open for further replies.