Potential Head Coach Hires

Status
Not open for further replies.

charles

Jolly Good Fellow
We had the one guy in the country that knew more about the option than anyone else...if he cant run it consistently then why would we hire one of his disciples?
Because he would make the needed changes in the offense that everybody is whinning about and CPJ was to stubborn to do

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck
Key was a disaster at UCF as interim HC and OC. If we hire him as an OL coach then sure, but I doubt we have that kind of money.

Js-showman

Jolly Good Fellow
Best options:

1. Gene Chizik- National Championship running an option style offense at Allbarn.

2. Ted Roof - Tech man

3. Bill Curry - Tech man, Bama coach , super bowl lineman. Vince Lombardi protege’

4. June Jones - Former Falcons QB, took Hawaii to the Sugar Bowl - high powere passing offense.

5. Herman Boone - Took the Titans to the state championship. Used Sunshine as WR besting Ed Henry in a classic.

6. Jim Mora - former Falcons coach with success at the college level. Loves Atlanta

7. Steve Spurrier - former Tech assistant. Itching to get back in the mix. Hates UGA

:)

Scubapro

Banned
I am still strongly supporting we get a *defense first* coach with strong recruiting.

However, if we don't go for Monken and we have to get an offensive guy, I think we need to get someone from the Mike Leach or Art Briles coaching tree. Both Air Raid and Veer and Shoot are meant to do more with less, just like our current offense is. Of the non factory schools in the top offensive efficiency, most come from either the CPJ, Briles, or Leach trees.
Why settle for someone in the Art Briles coaching tree? I bet he would love the chance to redeem himself. Has a history of knowing how to get a second fiddle school to complete against its larger neighbors. I bet he would be cheap...since the AA likes to scrimp

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
This may be unpopular, but here it is.

If we end up being a stepping stone job with our next coach, sign me up now*. This means we've had success AND we won't be saddled with a buyout. If we are in a much better spot 3-5 years from now than we are today, we'd be foolish not to take it. Then we'll also become something closer of a destination job.

Of course I'd prefer to strike gold and get the same results with a lifer, but "someone who won't leave us" is not even close to a top consideration for me right now.

*Disclaimer: As long as they don't leave us on probation, with sanctions, etc.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Why settle for someone in the Art Briles coaching tree? I bet he would love the chance to redeem himself. Has a history of knowing how to get a second fiddle school to complete against its larger neighbors. I bet he would be cheap...since the AA likes to scrimp
I consider Art Briles as part of his own tree, so by all means :)

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
This may be unpopular, but here it is.

If we end up being a stepping stone job with our next coach, sign me up now*. This means we've had success AND we won't be saddled with a buyout. If we are in a much better spot 3-5 years from now than we are today, we'd be foolish not to take it.

Of course I'd prefer to strike gold and get the same results with a lifer, but "someone who won't leave us" is not even close to a top consideration for me right now.

*Disclaimer: As long as they don't leave us on probation, with sanctions, etc.
If we can find a "stepping stone" coach capable of turning our offensive roster around in a short time frame, I would be game as well.

That's another reason I think a defense minded coach would work best as that is the area that can show improvement quicker.

Jmonty71

Banned
I like Ken Wisenhunt... Would not mind see us going back to the pro set. With a NFL caliber coach, it may prompt better recruits.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
What's the draw for Satterfield? What makes him unique?
He took a team that transitioned from the FCS to the FBS and made them a consistent 9-10 win team and always sitting near or at the top of their conference.

TarTriton

Georgia Tech Fan
Best options:

1. Gene Chizik- National Championship running an option style offense at Allbarn.

2. Ted Roof - Tech man

3. Bill Curry - Tech man, Bama coach , super bowl lineman. Vince Lombardi protege’

4. June Jones - Former Falcons QB, took Hawaii to the Sugar Bowl - high powere passing offense.

5. Herman Boone - Took the Titans to the state championship. Used Sunshine as WR besting Ed Henry in a classic.

6. Jim Mora - former Falcons coach with success at the college level. Loves Atlanta

7. Steve Spurrier - former Tech assistant. Itching to get back in the mix. Hates UGA

TED ROOF???!!!!

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
17-18 year old young men / boys need to want to come here, have a coach with Dabo-esque excitement, positive message and can relate to them. That was not something Johnson could ever do or seemingly wanted to do.
As I pointed out elsewhere, this is the kind of thinking that got us B*** L****. We need someone who knows what to do with the players we've got and who can recruit within our limitations. Those limits will not change! Learn to live with it.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
Best options:

2. Ted Roof - Tech man

Steve Spurrier already has a job as head coach of the new Orlando Apollos of the Alliance of American Football:);)

Status
Not open for further replies.